Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2007, 04:47 AM   #1
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
Electric water heater question

Pulled in the campground last night and turned on the electric water heater and it is making a noise inside. There is no air in the tank but it sounds like element might have a crack in it or something but it is heating fine and cuts off when up to temperature. I have never noticed this sound before or is it normal?

Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:26 AM   #2
CanDo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2106
Cyrus, we have found that we can't run the water heater on electric if we are on 30 amps. Ours was making a kind of low screeching noise. Didn't take long to figure out that the noise was coming from the water heater! Flipped off the breaker, turned on the gas - noise gone! Hope that's all it is for you, too. Good luck!
CanDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:41 AM   #3
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
I am on 50 amp and my volt memter reads over 120 volts. I checked the panel before I plugged in & both sides of the sevice were over 120 volts.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:11 PM   #4
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
Cyrus,
maybe if you could describe the noise you are hearing someone might come along who has had similar experiences and can provide some insight into your problem.

I have had sounds from mine that sounded like a bubbling or popping noise that went away after I ran hot water through all the faucets in the coach. I assumed it was caused from air pockets in the HW tank that once was expelled solve the problem. Your symptoms may be different.

EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:26 PM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
My water heater has made noise since we purchased our unit new. It occurs only when the water is heating. It isn't "noisy" because we can't hear it unless everything else is quiet in the rig, including me.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:52 AM   #6
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
Tom & Nancy,
The sound is hard to describe but as you said the first thought that came to mind was air in the tank even though I had cleared all the lines.

Orv,
Good point, it isn't really noisy since I can only hear it standing beside the water heater, not in the camper. I have never heard this before and it starts the instant I turn the switch on and will stop when I turn it off. But it slowly gets louder/different when turned on, like making steam and same when I flip the switch off slowly stops, few seconds.

I have left it on and we have normal hot water but I have not been able to hear the sound while beside the unit. Could be it has quit or not making hot water when I am there. Guess I need to check after I know we have run the water. Could be the power here but everything else seems fine.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Cyrus
Old 07-25-2007, 04:45 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Hmmm, we've run ours on electric on both 30 and 50 amp without problem. We do occasionally hear a noise, regardless of amperage, in the water heater. We were told by the Service Center it's normal unless it's really loud and frequent and is more noticeable in our model because of the water heater location. Ours only does it occasionally and for short periods.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 05:21 PM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Yes, you may hear a little "noise" when the unit is heating on electricity but the "noise" will stop when the thermostat in the heater turns the electricity off the heater. I wouldn't worry about it.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:23 PM   #9
Snownyet
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6077
Ours has made an unusual noise since new when its heating. Its a sound I cant describe, almost ghostly. Regardless, it does work very good so I consider the sound normal
Snownyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:36 PM   #10
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Turn up the Radio
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote