Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2007, 09:41 AM   #1
CampingCrazyShirley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6271
Kipor Generator Problem

Well, don't really know where else to post this problem, so moderator, if there is a better place, please move it. We have a Kipor generator...purchase in Sept. 06...less than 20 hours. It is leaking gas. It runs in high idle and won't kick down and does not generate power. We were boondocking this weekend and found out at the campsite. Any ideas or suggestions or has anyone had this problem and know the fix? We called the dealer we purchased from and they said to drop it off and they would look at it. But, everyone here is so knowledgeable, it would be great to get some additional input. It is a 3500 by the way. Thanks so much.
Cheryl :-)

CampingCrazyShirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:03 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Leaking gas seemingly from where? The smart throttle is electrically controlled by a solenoid on top of the carb ... silly question, but do you have the smart throttle switch on? There are 3 LED's right above the choke ... what color is showing after you start it? Top green one should be lit. Since it does run, I doubt if the float is stuck. If the gas seems to be comming from the carb fuel bowl, there is a 10 mm bolt directly on the bottom of the bowl ... snug it just a little ... there is also a drain plug (10 mm) angled off the bottom of the fuel bowl ... snug it also. I've run my 3500ti for better than 100 hours with no worries ... if none of the above helps, I'd think a trip to the service center would be in your best interest instead of people (like me) shooting from the hip.

PS: If you have an Autoformer inbetween the Kipor and fiver, take it out of the system temporarily ... the Autoformer does strange things with the genset especially under high load conditions.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:42 PM   #3
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Another question for the high idle, is do you have the electric switch on for the water heater?
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:03 AM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
As Doug pointed out ... the electric hot water heater draws a boat load of amps. If you have that going and use the convection part of the microwave at the same time along with other odds and ends, it'll more than likely trip out the Kipor and it will just sit there and run producing no power till you turn it off and allow the reset upon restart.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 04:47 AM   #5
CampingCrazyShirley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6271
The generator is under no load when it is running at high idle. When we start it that's where it stays. Still not sure where fuel leak is coming from, but it is leaking quite a bit. Took it apart and can't seem to find anything at this stage. Took it to the repair facility yesterday and they can't get to it until Wednesday, which is fine as we don't need it for several weeks yet. The guy at the service center seems to think some wires have come loose somewhere inside which would account for there being no power generated, but obviously won't know until he gets into it. It is still under warranty, so that is good. I wonder if hauling it around can jiggle something loose? Any thoughts on that?
Old 04-24-2007, 06:18 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have hauled our 3500ti around for over 18K miles with nothing shook loose. We agree that the overload will remove the load from the gen and it will just run and do nothing..let us know hat went wrong when you find out.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:07 AM   #7
CampingCrazyShirley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6271
Update on generator problem....dealer can't figure out the problem. He called the manufacturer and told them what it wasn't doing. They called back, asked a few more questions, said we'll get back to you. Called Friday, and they said ok, what does it do? The guy at the dealer said, "Well, it starts." So, they said to send it back, and they will fix it or replace it, as it's under warranty. So, good in a way, but it would be nice to know what was wrong. Actually, the guy at the dealer said he has had very few problems with the generators, which made me feel better. So, if I ever find out what really went wrong, I'll let everyone know. Thanks for the help.