Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2007, 03:13 PM   #1
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Road spray in the coach!!

Today, I took my coach down to my summer seasonal site on the river. The trip is roughly 75 miles and today's weather is rain, rain and more rain. After backing into my site and getting everything hooked up on the outside I opened the slides......To my surprise I found my kitchen to be soaked!!! The place was a mess as all the road spray from the tires came directly into the coach. The part that has me most upset is, I just had my coach at the Service Center back in late September of 2006 and they said they fixed this. The tech found what he thought was a seal that was installed incorrectly. He also added a "pan" to deflect the spray off the tires. My dealership was already at a loss last year on how to correct this problem, so I doubt they will be able to offer any assistance this time. I am pretty upset/sad at the current moment about this and I am just not sure what I can do about it...

Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 04:10 PM   #2
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Sorry to hear about your problem showing up again. It sure sounds like a seal. I would crawl under with the slides in and look for something that may have come loose.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 04:59 PM   #3
Sunnyside
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6859
Bummer....

I don't have any suggestions, but I feel your pain, if it helps
Sunnyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:03 PM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dave,

Is it soaking the slide, or the kitchen floor below the slide?
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:50 PM   #5
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Sky,

Well that just sucks! I hope that you can figure out what's causing that, maybe you should call Keystone on Monday and tell them the fix didn't work and maybe they have another idea they can give your dealer. Hang in there buddy!

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:20 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Brad,
It is soaking the kitchen floor below the slide. My first indication of the problem was when I opened the entrance door. I was greeted with water pooling on the recessed inside step. After opening the slides I found the source of the problem, exactly in the same spot that the SC had fixed. The carpet in the cabinet to the right of my stove felt dry, as did the leading slide edge carpet. The support walls for my island have started to wick the water up already. I will have to bring all my space heaters down tomorrow to hopefully dry them out. Getting all the mud and dirt cleaned up was a nice way to start off my summer... =(

Traditionally I stay at the river from the day I bring the coach down till mid October. I was so upset that I left and went home after cleaning and drying everything out the best I could. Tomorrow is another day, hopefully it will be a better day.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:23 PM   #7
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Dave,
I noticed once, when I looked under our Kitchen slide, (while it was out) there was a 1" square rubber bumper (seal) running from the front to the rear of the slide. This was fixed to the Trailer and the slide seemed to slide in & out over top of it. The seal seemed to be glued to the frame of the trailer. I think it was the main seal to keep road water out of the trailer.
Anyway, a few months after we bought the trailer I noticed the front 6 to 10 inches of this seal seemed to have come loose. Not having any rubber cement around I used a strip of Velcro to put it back on. So far seems OK. I would think if this seal comes loose it definitely would allow water in under the slide. ( hope this makes sense ).

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 01:29 AM   #8
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Dave: Drop Steves a line. He had the same problem when we were at the Fall Rally. He had it fixed at the service centre.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 03:35 AM   #9
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
We had the same problem with the entertainment slideout. I got some of the tape one uses when installing a canopy on a pickup. Rubber sticky back stuff about an inch or so wide. Got it at Auto Zone. Cleaned the contact points under the slide, installed tape and NO more wet floor. WE drove many hours in very heavy rain.

Montana Sky if you need more info send PM. If we were closer I would come do it for you.
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 04:41 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dave..When you get a chance take some pictures of the problem area. We have never had a leak anywhere but like to keep track of the possible problem areas or catch a problem before it becomes a problem.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 04:59 AM   #11
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Montana Sky,

To troubleshoot I would put the trailer somewhere where it could be pitch black outside. Put down all blinds and then turn on every light on inside the trailer. Maybe additional spotlights inside for the affected inside area.

With the lights on full and as dark as possible out side you are bound to see the light coming through bad seals or poor fits when you get underneath the trailer. Specifically look within the spray distance of the wheels.

With as much as you are getting inside you will probably see the entry point. It could be something simple.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 09:45 AM   #12
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
Montana Sky
Sorry to hear about all your wet problems. We had them also in our other "Condo".
We had a "Wildcat" before this "Montana". I found the problem had nothing to do with the "Wildcat". It had to do with the guy driving the TV. I found that if we left any kind of vent opening, going down the road, the speed causes a vacume in the unit and causes it to suck water between where the slides seal against the unit. The carpeting along the slide was soaked. Close up everything. All vents closed, windows and doors seals are good. I think your wetness inside will go away. Just our experience. I hope this will work for you. Let us know. Dick
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 10:41 AM   #13
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I am hoping to get down to the river this afternoon. Thanks to everyone for all your helpful suggestions, I have written them down and will be implementing them as soon as I get down there. Wish me luck...
Old 04-15-2007, 12:34 PM   #14
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Dave I disagree about a vacuum being made. Atleast it has never happened so far to me. I unknowingly drove thru a micro burst storm last year with the fantastic vents opened (covered by max air). I have never had a water problem in the rv. I would look else where from my experience. Let us know what you find.
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 05:45 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I spoke to Darrell about your leaky slide this AM he pointed out the seal under the slide and said that is where the problem has got to be.. If you already have not, give him a call
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:25 PM   #16
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I am so sorry about your troubles Dave. Nothing so frustrating than what is causing major problem. Hope you get that resolved soon. But since you have it at the River are you going to be moving much?
Stay with that school program you told me about, what you are entering into at this phase will set the course over the next few years. Remember I teach management classes and there are so many I see that don't even have the basics that you will be receiving.
Send me your mailing address in a PM - I have a book I want to send to you.

This post is only my opinion and not intended to offend anyone.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:41 PM   #17
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Well I have good news and bad news: first the good news... After 2 plus days of rain, it appears that my coach is still dry on the inside. I have the coach set up for summer and the lack of water inside the coach reaffirms my original opinion on where the problem is coming from. It has to be from the road spray off the wheels when the slide is closed. The bad news, I spent the better half of the past two nights trying to shine light through the bottom of my kitchen slide. So far I have not been able to see any light coming through on the outside. Being that there is only one of me, it is pretty hard to move the spot lights, flash lights and lantern I had set up on the inside while laying under the coach on the outside... =) I am at a loss....

I will give Darrell a call in the morning to see if he can shed some light on the subject.

Phill,
Since I cannot control the weather, I canceled my August and late September trips. As you and I have already talked about, school has me going full time and beyond.... lol!
Old 04-17-2007, 12:45 PM   #18
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Don't forget to PM me your mailing address. I have a couple of Leadership books to send you.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:33 PM   #19
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Montana Sky,

Sorry the light method didn't work. I thought it was worth a shot. I think on mine I would see it.

Good luck with solving it.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:53 PM   #20
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
So sorry to here of your troubles Dave - I'm sure many would offer a hand if possible. I know if I was anywhere near, I'd be there to help out.
I was really hoping the light idea would help - maybe have the slide closed and use a light from the outside and peak under the carpet? It sure sounds like a good idea to me.
The vacuum idea also sounds possible, but more likely some seal isn't making contact. Luckily it hasn't happened to us yet.
I hope you get a handle on it bud...
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote