Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2014, 10:36 AM   #1
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Glad I put on the 16' LED strip porch light!

I've had it turned on to the multi-color alternating fade, change and flash mode. It adds nicely to the Christmas lights on my home the Montana is parked next to for the winter.

Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:57 AM   #2
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Pictures?
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 11:21 AM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Mark, where did you get your LED light strip? Researching where the best prices are!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 12:18 PM   #4
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
I get my LED lights and accessories off eBay. The best priced ones ship from China and Hong Kong. I got some from there. The problem is the shipping. It takes a long time to get,about a month or so because of customs. Now I just buy from U.S. sellers. They cost a little more but the shipping is a lot faster, about a week.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:15 PM   #5
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

Mark, where did you get your LED light strip? Researching where the best prices are!
Here is what I used. They have been running non-stop, night and day, since the 12th of Dec. (plus a several hours worth in the past 6 months) with no problems.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I adapted mine to the factory light bulb that was already inside the amber porch light. I simply broke out the glass and soldered the wires to the base of the bulb. I still just use the factory porch light switch to turn them off and on, and use the remote control to vary color and brightness. That way, this light strip can be removed and the trailer brought back to factory condition quickly if the new owner someday doesn't like the LED lights. But they will. For sure!
Old 12-28-2014, 04:21 PM   #6
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by K0LCB

Pictures?
Hmmmm....I would like to add pictures, but I'm not sure where to have them hosted. Any suggestions?
Old 12-29-2014, 12:47 AM   #7
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Amazon has good prices and a good selection. Just search for LED light strips
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 01:22 AM   #8
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mark N.

Quote:

Here is what I used. They have been running non-stop, night and day, since the 12th of Dec. (plus a several hours worth in the past 6 months) with no problems.

I adapted mine to the factory light bulb that was already inside the amber porch light. I simply broke out the glass and soldered the wires to the base of the bulb. I still just use the factory porch light switch to turn them off and on, and use the remote control to vary color and brightness. That way, this light strip can be removed and the trailer brought back to factory condition quickly if the new owner someday doesn't like the LED lights. But they will. For sure!
exactly what I had.Purchased 2 16 ft strips the first lasted 3 weeks the second 5 weeks.so if I can not find bettef quality LED's I am done.they were not easy to install above the awning with 3M tape and more difficult to remove.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 03:18 AM   #9
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
I put some of those on my trailer, looked real nice for at least 4 trips. Now when I turn them on I don't know which color I will get, or what lights will not come on. :-(
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 12:21 PM   #10
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kdeiss

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mark N.

Quote:

exactly what I had.Purchased 2 16 ft strips the first lasted 3 weeks the second 5 weeks.so if I can not find bettef quality LED's I am done.they were not easy to install above the awning with 3M tape and more difficult to remove.
You put yours above your awning? Interesting.
I put mine a few inches under, so the awning would act as a big diffuser/reflector at night, reflecting the light downwards onto the ground. Even with the awning rolled up completely, it reflects nicely. But, once you extend it, that is when the light becomes very nice under it. Works beautifully. I simply used a tape measure to measure 4" or so down from the awning and made a few marks at this distance along the entire awning. I then used a four ft. straight edge to "connect the dots", giving a 16' long, absolutely straight line the length of the awning. Then, I applied the 3M tape along this line as a guide. It made the application of the tape in a perfectly straight line very easy and precise. I then simply removed the backing tape, and applied the LED strip to the tape. It was an easy job, with a perfectly straight outcome.
Mine now have probably 500 hours on them now (best estimation) and have performed flawlessly so far. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:14 PM   #11
draceman

M.O.C. #14199
Ace Hardware has LED strip lights.
draceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 03:43 AM   #12
Goin 4 Broke
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15975
Marc N - did you remove the adhesive that came on the lights before you applied to the 3M tape? I read somewhere that the adhesive that comes on these lights fails - which is why many folks use the 3M but if you just put he lights on without removing the poor stocke adhesive, it fails and falls off the good 3M stuff.
I did some accent lights in my house and I used a glue gun to attach. Seems to be holding well for over 6 months, but that is inside and not subject to the conditions our Monties go thru.
Goin 4 Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 04:24 PM   #13
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Goin 4 Broke

Marc N - did you remove the adhesive that came on the lights before you applied to the 3M tape? I read somewhere that the adhesive that comes on these lights fails - which is why many folks use the 3M but if you just put he lights on without removing the poor stocke adhesive, it fails and falls off the good 3M stuff.
I did some accent lights in my house and I used a glue gun to attach. Seems to be holding well for over 6 months, but that is inside and not subject to the conditions our Monties go thru.
No, I didn't attempt to remove the adhesive on the back of the strip. I wondered about the wisdom of this, but I figured adhesive against adhesive would be a much more permanent bond than adhesive against metal. So far, after a hot Summer and a Winter, there has been no hint of anything releasing.