Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2014, 07:23 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Outside LED light strip potential problem

I had purchased the LED light strips for installation beneath our awning quite a while ago and have been hesitant about physically installing them onto the paint of the rig. With that said, I think I am going to attempt to fashion a removable strip of the lights that will allow for storage away from the rig. One thing that I have noticed in my (after the fact) research is that the recommended storage temperature for these lights has a low end of 3 degrees Celsius! That equates to about 15 degrees in West Virginia temperatures (Fahrenheit). That is a problem since the rig sits in mini-storage for the winter and the temperatures will go well below that. Has anyone who installed the lights had them in sub-zero temperatures with bad results, good results? I am leaning towards a way to mount the strips on a double piece of stop moulding (two 8 foot sections hinged together so it can be folded for storage). I will cut the strip at the bend point and install a strip connector between them to allow slack for the moulding to fold with the strips attached. Still contemplating the exact mount but am leaning to either suction cups or a way to hang it from the awning frame on the rig wall. Will have to fashion a waterproof connector at the porch light but that should be easily doable. Am I over-thinking this or is my caution warranted based on the low temperatures they will be exposed to?
Bingo
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:10 AM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I don't have a positive or negative opinion on sticking them on a full body paint rig, but it's (3M)the same tape the big 3 stick mouldings on our cars which also have full body paint . For $20 ... if they do or don't make it thru a winter, it's no financial crisis. There are sure alot of them factory installed on rigs nowdays ... if that says anything.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:27 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
It is not my concern that the same tape is used on cars as on the rigs. If the $20 string of lights fail, how easy is it to then get them off the rig if they are held on by the same 3M tape that holds auto emblems for years? If they fail repeatedly (they are "Made in China" after all), the replacement could be a major annual PITA! I wish my full-body paint was up to the standards of the big 3 but, for some reason, I doubt it!
Bingo
Old 09-18-2014, 09:17 AM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Heck, if they do fail in winter ... put another string on 1" down each spring. That way you'll know how long you've had the rig ... kinda like counting tree rings to determine the age.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:20 AM   #5
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
for the temperature issues, we live in western NY,near Buffalo, so it is cold. there were some nights at or below 0. Left them on trailer and did not have any issues with them this year. But you never know.
On the install options, we mounted ours on the awning tube. Just under the awning, we rolled up the awning, sat all winter and awning looks fine,no distortion on material. I was a little concerned about that. How about this idea as an option. Put a full strip of 3M Velcro on tube or wall of trailer,velcro back of lights, and just remove every time,then you can store in winter. If my lights fail,I am going to do this on the tube so I can remove when stored.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:21 AM   #6
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
3* C is 37* F
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:36 AM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by racerjoe

for the temperature issues, we live in western NY,near Buffalo, so it is cold. there were some nights at or below 0. Left them on trailer and did not have any issues with them this year. But you never know.
On the install options, we mounted ours on the awning tube. Just under the awning, we rolled up the awning, sat all winter and awning looks fine,no distortion on material. I was a little concerned about that. How about this idea as an option. Put a full strip of 3M Velcro on tube or wall of trailer,velcro back of lights, and just remove every time,then you can store in winter. If my lights fail,I am going to do this on the tube so I can remove when stored.
I like that idea!! That is way better than the tree ring counting deal!!

grayghost, I have no idea where I got the 15 degrees from! WV math I guess!!

Bingo
Old 09-18-2014, 09:53 AM   #8
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
Hey, look at this way, layers of LED strips, way better then having to cut the Monty in half to count rings. Our new one has factory install LED's under the awning, I will watch this winter. I do know, I am thinking about a dimmer for them, they are BRIGHT.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:59 AM   #9
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I had posted about a month ago.my lights failed after about a month.when I removed them they peeled off the 3M tape but could not reuse the tape.So i had to remove the tape from the trailer not an easy job about a half hour job for a 16 ft section no damage to the fiberglass keep in mind they were only on for 5 weeks I am thinking if on longer the tape removal would have been more difficult. I am going to mount the new set on the awning tube in the spring.one more shot if they only last 5 weeks I am going back to rope lights.when they were working they were great!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote