Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2013, 08:38 AM   #1
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
2011 Ford

OK, all you Ford guys. I have found a Ford Certified F-350 dually crew cab with the 6.7 diesel and Lariate package. Heated leather seats and all the other powered bells and whistle. It was built in Oct of 2010 and has 40,000 miles. Dealer has it listed right now at $47,977. I have not looked at the inside of the bed or, at it up close.

Convince me why I should continue.

MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
If it were me, I would look at a new 2013 F-450 XLT, will be in same price range. Won't have all the bells and whistles the Lariate pachage has, but has all I need.

The F-450 comes with diesel engine, where it is an option on F-350, so they will price out about the same. Just a thought to keep in mind.

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:00 AM   #3
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
I bought my 2012 brand new for 49,698.58

It has all the goodies including the Lariat Interior Package (see my signature line - including the hitch prep and hitch), but not the Ultimate Package as I did not want the moonroof.

I waited for the rebates to come out, and then if you request a catalog from Ford you can get a personal additional $750 which is combinable with all other current promotions.

I sent out about five emails to Ford dealerships offering to purchase immediately for invoice plus splitting the holdback with them. I had four of the five willing to do that. So you can purchase for invoice minus some of the holdback, plus deduct all the incentives - gets you into a brand new rig for pretty good price.

I forgot to mention that this was ordering the truck exactly the way I wanted it too, because there were none available with all the options including the hitch prep and the hitch.
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:08 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
First I would check your local Ford dealers for left over 2012 Superdutys. Here they are offering up to $14,000 off MSRP (sticker) for Lariats. Even with a sticker of $60,000 you could get a brand new one for $46,000. And in Texas if you trade something in, you only pay sales tax on the difference, not the full price. Don't how it works in Indiana.
They should be willing to deal on those. I bought a new 2012 King Ranch F350 SRW with 5 miles on it last July at the end of the model year for $14K off sticker. And a neighbor bought an F350 Lariat DRW for the same $14K off sticker.
Check ford.com and use their shopping tools, search dealer inventory feature. Check zip codes within a reasonable drive from you. And check each dealer's offers. Will probably differ one to another. Probably not a lot of F350s left, but your local dealer could do a more extensive search for you.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:48 AM   #5
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I have a 2011 6.7 DRW - Best tow truck I ever had. No problems. Do your homework on the price. Go to Kelly Blue Book and get the wholesale and retail prices.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #6
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
I'm certainly no expert, but it seems Ford has finally made a decent diesel with the 6.7, after the failure of the 6.0 and 6.4. Having said that, I think you've gotten some good advice from previous posters...that truck is over priced.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Some issues with the 6.7 Job 1 builds. Ford didn't change to Job 2 until Nov 2010. I have a 2011 F350 DRW built Feb 2011 thus a Job 2 build. No problems with 17K miles. LOVE this truck. Had a 1999 7.3 F250 SRW and a 2006 6.0 F350 SRW. The DRW 6.7 is the way to go. Like others have said look at the 2012 or 2013 as they should be close in price. Also go to http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums for more info on the 6.7.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:17 AM   #8
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
I want to thank all of you for the great advice here so far. This unit does have the moon roof which, I gather is part of the ultimate package. This dealer does have several 2013 (new) units setting on the lot in various sizes. F-250's, 350 SRW and a dually. All white in color which would be what I prefer. What I am reading is that I should be able to get a new one for about that price?

Seahunter, this truck is the Autumn Red with Adobe leather and Adobe lower body paint. She is a pretty truck! But, I need to put a couple of eye balls on this thing and look her over real good. I have been known to buy a used truck or two in the past. Both of which I drove for atleast 5 years. The last one, a 1995 GMC, I drove for 7 years.

Never had a Ford truck. Had a 1969 Mach 1 Mustang that I wish I had back. So, everyone will understand my caution, right? Still need to talk to my GM dealer down in Nappanee.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:47 AM   #9
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Price is high, I paid $44K out the door for mine brand new, 2011 F350 Dually long bed crewcab, lariat package with all the bells and whistles. Had 5 miles on the engine. About only option I do not have is the moon roof. Price is high.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:56 AM   #10
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MIMF

I want to thank all of you for the great advice here so far. This unit does have the moon roof which, I gather is part of the ultimate package. This dealer does have several 2013 (new) units setting on the lot in various sizes. F-250's, 350 SRW and a dually. All white in color which would be what I prefer. What I am reading is that I should be able to get a new one for about that price?

Seahunter, this truck is the Autumn Red with Adobe leather and Adobe lower body paint. She is a pretty truck! But, I need to put a couple of eye balls on this thing and look her over real good. I have been known to buy a used truck or two in the past. Both of which I drove for atleast 5 years. The last one, a 1995 GMC, I drove for 7 years.

Never had a Ford truck. Had a 1969 Mach 1 Mustang that I wish I had back. So, everyone will understand my caution, right? Still need to talk to my GM dealer down in Nappanee.
Hi Dale,

Bottom line is yes, you should be able to get a brand new one for this price. Like I mentioned, this even icluded the hitch prep and the hitch on mine. If you like this one, go in and straight out tell them you know you can get a brand new one for this price, then you can start negotions from below that leaving room to go up if you have to.

Yeah, I rally like my Autumn Red. I have the black interior, but I like the Adobe as well.

The moonroof is part of the Ultimate Package, but is also a stand alone option as well. Same with the navigation system which I did not want and another reason I wanted to order. It is like $1600 and to upgrade it later would be very expensive. I knew I could get a top of the line RV-specific GPS for $400 and be able to update it with lifetime updates, move it to other vehicles to use, take it out at night and punch in the next days destination and points of interest, and then even replace it when the time came and still be at only half the cost of the factory GPS.

The Ultimate Package includes a lot of the Lariat Interior items, and then some Ultimate Package items like the moonroof (which makes the pickup a mandatory crew cab due to space needed), the navigation system, and the tailgate step. All these are options you can get without the Ultimate Package, but all are included in the Ultimate.

LARIAT ULTIMATE PACKAGE (96U) – LATE
AVAILABILITY
Availability:
• Lariat Crew Cab
Not Available with:
• Lariat Interior Package (96L)
Includes:
• Memory Power Heated/Cooled Driver Seat
• Power Heated/Cooled Passenger Seat
• Easy Entry/Exit Memory Seat Feature
• Memory PowerScope™ Trailer Tow Mirrors
• Memory Power Adjustable Pedals
• Moonroof
• Navigation System with Satellite Radio
• Rearview Camera
• Tailgate Step
• Remote Start System

LARIAT INTERIOR PACKAGE (96L)
Availability:
• Optional Lariat SuperCab or Crew Cab
Not Available with:
• Lariat Ultimate Package (96U)
Includes:
• Rearview Camera
• Memory Power Heated/Cooled Driver Seat
• Power Heated/Cooled Passenger Seat
• Easy Entry/Exit Memory Seat Feature
• Memory PowerScope™ Trailer Tow Mirrors
• Remote Start System
• Memory Power Adjustable Pedals
Options Available:
• Navigation System with HD and Satellite Radio (58N)
Old 02-15-2013, 06:15 AM   #11
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
seahunter, thanks for all the info!

I did go down to my GM dealer in Nappanee. They do not have any nice used late models right now. So, we started talking about a new 2013 Denali 1 ton SRW they have in stock. The numbers that have been just thrown out so far have not impressed me. They are going to screw around and loose another sale from us. So, may grow some gonades and go check out a Ford a little closer. They said they want my trade-in real bad! Might have to go see how bad they do want it.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:48 AM   #12
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Only caution I would give about the moon roof option is if you are 6’ 3” or taller you may find that you do not have the head room you like.

When I specked my truck for build I was so glad that I went out in the dealer’s lot and sat in a truck with the “Ultimate Package” with moon roof, because when I did I found I had no head room. So I told the dealer to speck that build with the Ultimate Package minus the moon roof. It was as if I had asked them to cut their thumb off. They didn’t know if they could do that. I told them to go to Fords web page where you can build your own truck and all the code for each option is there, put down on the build speck sheet the options I want and leave off the moon roof. After about 45 minutes the sales man came back and said they were able to do it…leave the moon roof off. I got what I wanted when it was delivered.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:59 AM   #13
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I have to echo what Hooker said.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:30 AM   #14
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Fire5er

Only caution I would give about the moon roof option is if you are 6’ 3” or taller you may find that you do not have the head room you like.
That's exactly right. I did not mention that is why I had to get mine without the moonroof, is I have a tall upper body. You lose a good couple inches in headroom. For me the seat would not go low enough to sit straight up. As it is, without the moonroof, if I am still sitting straght up it is a close fit and I have to have the seatback back to be able to get the headroom. And even with that, I still have a hard time seeing traffic lights when I am first at the light.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:20 AM   #15
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Well guys, I don't think I'll have an issue with head room. I'm a 5'10" short fat fart!

Over the several days, I have decided to hang on for short time. Then, I'm going to advertise to sell the old Silverado privately and get more bang for the dollar. Then, I'll have all kinds of buying power for a unit straight out.

I want to thank everybody for the great input on this subject!
Old 02-19-2013, 02:56 PM   #16
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
If you sell out rite you pay tax on the total unit in most states and that will eat up the dif you make on the old unit. sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:28 AM   #17
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sailer

If you sell out rite you pay tax on the total unit in most states and that will eat up the dif you make on the old unit. sailer
My experience is the opposite. Get a letter from the purchaser, stating name, address, phone, date of purchase, amount paid, detailed description of vehicle purchased (including VIN) and either take it with you when licensing the new vehicle or mail it to your state dept of revenue. Many states will deduct what you received for the sale from the cost of the new RV, and you'll pay tax only on that difference.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:41 AM   #18
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Here in Indiana, it is pretty straight forward......unles the laws have changed and I'm not aware but, Gail knows all about that crap because, her and her 4 girls are plating everything that Reith-Riley Construction Company owns or leases from 3/4 ton pick-ups all the way up to 60, 80, or 100,000 lb tractor/trailer dump and flatbeds! If I sell my truck to a private party, they don't care. They will charge him state sales tax when he goes to the DMV to get the plate and title changed to his name. Then, when I go buy a new one, they do the same to me when I go in to transfer the plate from the old truck to the new and will charge me for what I paid for the truck unless, I already paid it to the dealer. In most cases, that will be the deal and I will have paperwork showing I paid sales tax at the dealership.

A lot of you folks travel up and down thru Michigan. When you see a Rieth-Riley truck or any piece of equipment, she most likely has the title in her office. BTW, the 4 digit number you see on it with black numbers on a yellow background....if you give her that number, she will tell you what it is and the approximate location you saw it. When it comes to that stuff, the woman is a walking encylopedia. I know because, I have tested her. And, after 44 years on June 28th, her last day of work for Rieth-Riley will come to an end and a new chapter in her life begins!!!!