Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
RBridle

M.O.C. #12273
Slides moving while traveling

I closed up my 3750 Montana to tracel approx. 75 miles, i had to pull over twice as the dineette slide had moved approx. 2-3 inches and the rear slides about 1 in. does anyonne have any idea why the slides did not hold while transporting?

RBridle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
there have been some post on this exact issue. I would have the control valve looked at,as it seems to not be holding the oil in the cylinders. do you have shut off valves? if so,shut the slides and turn the valves off and see if the rooms stay in. If you can do a search on here you will find other post on this
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:02 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
This can be a tricky problem with a lot of possible reasons including improper installation. If your rig is under warranty call Keystone Customer Service and take it to a dealer to fix under warranty. It is not something you are doing wrong.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:46 AM   #4
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Had it happen once. Stopped for lunch, only partially opened slides. Noticed movement stopped again, opened completely, closed again, problem gone.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:16 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RBridle

I closed up my 3750 Montana to tracel approx. 75 miles, i had to pull over twice as the dineette slide had moved approx. 2-3 inches and the rear slides about 1 in. does anyonne have any idea why the slides did not hold while transporting?
Our living room slide did the same thing about six years ago. Turned out to be a bad check valve in the hydraulic pump. We had the pump replaced and it corrected the problem.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:58 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Double check the individual slide room hydraulic valve controls located on the outside of the rig above the propane tank compartment. These controls are deceiving in that they turn farther than one would expect. Rotate to the down position as far as they will go (this is past vertical!). I don't know if this could cause your problem but is just something to check based on our past experience. If you have used these, it merits checking just to eliminate them being slightly open which may or may not cause the problem.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:04 AM   #7
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
YES, I had this same issue. (dealer was NO help ) Sometimes my bedroom slide would move out 5 - 6 inches weather I was moving or not. I checked the hydraulic pump and reservoir and all lines for leaks. Nothing. Then, with all the rooms fully out I found that the fluid in the reservoir was lower than the end of the tube which sucks the fluid to the pump. I suspected this was allowing air to be sucked into the pump and thus into the lines. I added about 1 inch of fluid and then cycled the rooms in and out about 5 times. I have not had an issue since. I also make sure to hold the switch an extra second when the rooms are closed, kind of give it a little extra 'umph' when closing the rooms. I don't know if that helps hold them in or not but it makes me feel better. I surely don't hold the switch too long so I don't over pressure the lines.

This might help, maybe not. I know a room moving out while traveling can be very damaging and not something any of us want to mess with. Hope this helps.

Kevin
Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:10 AM   #8
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I have had the pump changed twice because of bad check valves. The first time the bedroom slide cylinder was also changed. The second time just the pump was changed after a 5 month struggle with Lippert. Just recently they had to change the large slide cylinder. Both the cylinders were bypassing. Your Lippert warranty is for 5 years so take it to your dealer and get them to throughly check it out. After fixing it the first time Lippert didn't think they should have fix it the second time. Hopefully our problems are over with the hydraulics as it should be fairly new.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:57 AM   #9
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Like Bingo said, make sure the control values for the individual slides are all the way counter-clockwise.

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote