Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Broken Sofabed & the Replacement Part

If you have a Jackknife sofabed that has a regular mattress (not an airbed), all the metal & framing of the folding bed’s mechanism is probably by Leggett & Pratt or Hickory Springs. Once you open the bed there will be a small label somewhere on the main outer metal tubing that tells you the manufacturer and model number. We lifted our mattress corners up and found our label at the head on the right side.

Anyways, to make a long story short, we need to replace the polypropylene deck that supports the mattress. After 10 years of kids sleeping on the sofabed and various visitors showing up needing a place to sleep, it has finally torn and doesn't support the mattress anymore.

Replacements are called “Fabric Decking Repair Kits” and you order by the manufacturer and model number that you find on that label. The one we need is $189 and includes shipping.
We found them at:

http://www.furniturepartsonline.com
http://www.planetbed.com
http://www.homeplaceparts.com
http://www.homeplacemall.com

The sites I found are all part of the “HomePlace Group Network” and all sell at the same price and appear to ship from the same location.

Now we just have to decide if we are going to replace the polypropylene deck or take out the sofa and put in a couple of recliners, or a reclining love seat or maybe a futon. Of course, if we replace the sofa with a couple of recliners we won't have a bed for overnight visitors.

Hmmm...

PS.... Has anyone replaced the polypropylene deck in their sofabed yet?

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Doug,

Sorry to hijack the thread, but our vote would be to remove the sofa. Remember the old saying about Rv'ing in our 5th wheels - they're made Six for drinking, four for eating and two for sleeping!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #3
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49

That's what we think also but we are also thinking that since we've bought this 2002 Montana NEW in July 2001, that it's probably time to be thinking of selling and getting a new RV.

We've done tons of maintenance to it lately and have just finished installing new graphics ourselves, a new awning, and have new tires with less than 500 miles on them. We are currently replacing all the exterior mouldings and getting ready to coat the roof.

We might be putting too much thought into *thinking* but we are now thinking it might be better to sell it with the matching sofabed in it and while everything is lookin' good.

The next RV will definitely be a "two sleeper!"

How come when we fix something up, we always want to sell?

Old 06-25-2012, 05:17 AM   #4
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
[quote]Originally posted by D and M On The Road

That's what we think also but we are also thinking that since we've bought this 2002 Montana NEW in July 2001, that it's probably time to be thinking of selling and getting a new RV.

Margee just do it...It's only money
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:09 AM   #5
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Ha! OldGuard...

I think we'll probably sell the RV as I have caught the husband looking online at different RVs. The couch is in excellent condition except for the fabric deck so I'm ordering that today, just as soon as I check a few RV parts departments and see if they can also order it and for how much.

The hard part of buying a new RV is both of us agreeing upon a floorplan.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #6
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
An Update:

I just hung up the phone from talking with several local RV parts departments. None can order the replacement "Fabric Decking" for the sofabed.

I also just talked with one of the places I mentioned in my original post and asked about what comes with the replacement decking kit. It's only the polypropylene fabric, 10 small helical springs and what looks like four of the short suspension wires.

All those wires that are in the perimeter hem of the fabric decking are not included. The customer is supposed to take out the old wires and not only re-use them, but all the suspension wires and helical springs also. The amount of suspension wires and helical springs included in the repair kit is just a token amount.

In our case, one of those wires is severely bent and one is actually broken so they suggested we go to our local hardware store and buy some wire.

$189 is a lot of money for basically just the polypropylene decking.

I'm still waiting on a call-back from the manufacturer, Leggett & Platt to see if they sell their own replacement parts.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
The hard part of buying a new RV is both of us agreeing upon a floorplan.
[/quote]

We all know who Doug has to agree with on the floor plan
By the way "Copper" is still running around nude
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:05 PM   #8
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Old Guard: "We all know who Doug has to agree with on the floor plan"
Me: Nope... it's more like who I have to agree with on the floorplan!

Old Guard: "By the way "Copper" is still running around nude"
Me: Your poor, poor doggie. Lucy is wearing her new summer 2012 wardrobe!

Still looks like we are going to repair the fabric deck on the sofa. The sofa manufacturer hasn't called me back yet. I am sure they are done for the day as they are in the east. I'll start bugging them bright & early tomorrow.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #9
2 for Him
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7383
Have you tried a local reupolstery shop?
They have to repair all kinds of things in regular furniture.
Wish you were closer, the guts to ours is stored in my shop, plywood underneath the cushions that lifts out for storage now. Still sits and sleeps pretty good. I will never put it back. Tried it once myself and wouldn't wish that on an enemy, let alone family.
The kids asked us why we got a 5th wheel that only slept 4, I told them it was because we couldn't find one that only slept 2!
2 for Him is offline   Reply With Quote