Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2012, 05:07 AM   #1
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
Integrated Brake Controller Failure - Update

History - lost trailer brakes coming into Grants Pass, Or. Rv shop determined brakes on trailer were functionning, so on to GM dealer in Medford, Or. $310 later, with replaced relay and fuse in integrated brake controller - still no cause as to why it failed, but brakes worked fine coming home. Lost faith in integrated controller, especially since only GM dealers could work on or diagnose problems, so had a Primus brake controller installed yesterday.

Hooked up trailer - Primus showed a short in system for about five mintues. Then Primus read everything was normal. MYSTERY SOLVED: Dexter - in their infinite wisdom - runs the brake wires INSIDE the axle, where they rub on various welds and rough parts of interior of axle. Sure enough, when pulled the front axle wire out, the insulation had worn off on about 1/2" of the wire, thus causing an intermittent short. The hitch facility then rewired brakes with wires on outside of axle (where they can be inspected), and everything works fine. You would think Dexter would have either run the wire in some type of conduit, or at least used a double insulation wire!

Hitch facility said they knew right away what the problem was once they determined the short was intermittent, as they see this frequently. Since they only charged me $45 to do the rewiring, was not worth trying to get covered under warranty.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:31 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
A 1 to 5 cent rubber grommet would have prevented the problem.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Verrry interesting!
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:11 AM   #4
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
I agree Stiles.
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #5
coyoterick
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10239
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

A 1 to 5 cent rubber grommet would have prevented the problem.
Nope. Mine did the same thing, the wire was bare at about the mid-point of the tube, not where it enters the tube. It appeared to have been folded and crimped, breaking the insulation, not worn through! Seems like it would have had to have been like that at the factory, a problem with the machine that threads the wire through the axle tube. Replaced the wire but ran it along the top of the axle tube zip-tying it into place.

coyoterick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hunts800

History - lost trailer brakes coming into Grants Pass, Or. Rv shop determined brakes on trailer were functionning, so on to GM dealer in Medford, Or. $310 later, with replaced relay and fuse in integrated brake controller - still no cause as to why it failed, but brakes worked fine coming home. Lost faith in integrated controller, especially since only GM dealers could work on or diagnose problems, so had a Primus brake controller installed yesterday.

Hooked up trailer - Primus showed a short in system for about five mintues. Then Primus read everything was normal. MYSTERY SOLVED: Dexter - in their infinite wisdom - runs the brake wires INSIDE the axle, where they rub on various welds and rough parts of interior of axle. Sure enough, when pulled the front axle wire out, the insulation had worn off on about 1/2" of the wire, thus causing an intermittent short. The hitch facility then rewired brakes with wires on outside of axle (where they can be inspected), and everything works fine. You would think Dexter would have either run the wire in some type of conduit, or at least used a double insulation wire!

Sure wish I'd found someone who knew what the problem was! It only took me about 3 years to find out about the wire rubbing off the insulation inside the axle! No fun coming down Mt. Ashland with brakes working when they felt like working! I was really surprised to see the wire when they finally pulled it out of the axle. It looked like a typical "lamp" type cord rather than the "auto" looking wire. But at least they finally found the problem. Replaced with a robust wire and taped to outside of axle. No problems since it was replaced. That was in my old rig. I'll watch the new one closely and hope we don't have the same problem in new rig. Glad you finally found and fixed the problem. Dennis

Hitch facility said they knew right away what the problem was once they determined the short was intermittent, as they see this frequently. Since they only charged me $45 to do the rewiring, was not worth trying to get covered under warranty.
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote