Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #41
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
[quote]quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seahunter

Quote:
Since the break-in is for the gears too, should there be a break-in for the four-wheel drive? I've never had a 4X4...I know it says not to run it on dry pavement in 4X4, so is just any unpaved surface good enough to run it? Also, do you have to exercise a four-wheel drive once in a while to keep it lubed?
Greg, I'm not aware of a break-in period for the 4x4 transfer case. I would imagine it's not a problem since it's not mentioned in the manual about break-in.

As for when to run it, it might help to understand why you do not run the 4x4 on hard pavement. Keep in mind there are 4x4 systems where you can run on pavement but that's not what we're talking about.

When you make a turn, the wheel on the outside of the turn has to turn faster and go farther than the one on the inside. When you are in locked up 4x4, both wheels want to turn at the same rate. That cannot happen on hard pavement and the wheels trying to move at different rates is what damages the system.

So, you can safely use the 4x4 on any surface where one wheel on an axle can slip. Sometime you will, as we all have done, forget to turn off the 4x4. When you go to turn the truck will try to do what I call "galloping" and you will instantly realize your mistake. Sometimes this will even happen on a very tight turn on semi-hard pavement at a slow rate of speed.

So the answer to your question is you can use 4x4 on any surface where a wheel could slip. I generally figure hard-packed dirt roads are ok. If I feel the galloping starting then I take it out of 4x4.

It's a good idea to exercise/use the 4x4 for at least a little bit, maybe a minute or so, every month or two just to keep the seals lubricated, etc. At least I think that's the reason the manual recommends that. I don't schedule myself to use the 4x4 but sometimes I get on a gravel road and it dawns on me I've not used 4x4 in awhile so I turn it on for a little while.

Hope this helps.

Steve, thanks so much for the advice! I really appreciate you taking the time to explain all of that.

Greg

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote