Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2011, 04:50 AM   #1
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Trailer contact

Howdy I have a situation and think some one of you have had this or know of one close to it.
We have taken a job running an RV Park, While we were up in the apt over looking the park, we heard a loud noise and went to the window and took a look . One of the residents was asked by another to move his trailer to a new spot . He went out of the park and on his way back in he didn't watch and hit our car that was parked in front of the office. We didn't take his insurance Info because he had just bought the Truck and didn't want it on his record. I got an estimate and now he is not wanting to pay. Says he can only pay payments. I am going down to the Police Department this morining and file an accident report. My questions is will he be held responsible and will his insurance try to get out of it. My DW took a picture of the trailer againts the car, and then the damage when it moved, we have a couple of witnesses. Let me know you feelings on this matter. For the record I know we should have called the police and had it documented befor he moved the trailer. Trying to help a young man and got screwed for it.

randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:01 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Because it was in a private parking lot it will be interesting to see what the police say.
Since you have photographic proof of the incident I suggest you contact your insurance company, pay the deductible and let them fight getting it out of him.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:23 AM   #3
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Randy - I would contact the local police to see if they will come to do a report. They may not if the vehicles are both capable of being driven after the incident. Do you have the name and address and plate number of the owner of the vehicle that hit you? Your best friend in this case is YOUR insurance agent. Contact them. Tell them what happened. Show them the photos and get the names, addresses, and phone numbers of the witnesses.

This is our experience. My son was run off the highway by a truck hauling a modular home going in the opposite direction. The house portion was in my son's lane of travel. He scraped the entire side of his car on the guard rails. Two women saw it happen. A chase truck from the company stopped to check him out. The chase truck driver got the culprit to stop and brought him back to the scene. They traded information, he blamed my son and they left. He called the state police but they said since both vehicles were drivable, they would not come out. Fortunately,my son obtained the name and address of the trucking company and the names, addresses, and phone numbers of the two witnesses. We tried working this out this out ourselves with a company representative but to no avail. We reported it to our insurance company, State Farm, and they went into action. We filed a claim under our insurance to get the car fixed. (They totaled it and sent him a check!!) We had to absorb the $500 collision deductible for the time being. State Farm went after the trucking company and the whole thing went to subrogation. State Farm contacted the witnesses and got their statements. About 6 weeks later, we got a $500 check from State Farm stating that the trucking company (or their insurance) lost the case and paid up!!!
Old 07-27-2011, 07:22 AM   #4
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
John Kohl has given you the exact advice I would recommend (I'm an insurance agent). Nothing of what you have done/not done can affect the claim in any way. Call your company and submit the claim.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:08 PM   #5
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Ken is exactly right. Your insurance co. is your best advocate in this case.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:37 PM   #6
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
thanks for the Advice, the young ;man is trying to get away with paying us payment to keep in off his insurance won't give us his information. We will give him the end of our buisness day on Thursday to get us his insurance numbers or we will give it to our insurance, which is Hartford. Let the chips fall as they may. Again thanks.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Remember the infractor doesn't get to decide how to handle things. If they don't like it, they should pay attention and not be the cause of an accident. You don't deserve to have to drive a damaged car especially if it was not your fault.

You will probably hear the lectures about doing things "right" and not being so nice and you should have gotten all the info. Where I live it's against the law not to provide your insurance information and if they don't or don't have any, then it definitely deserves a police call. You aren't the bad guy, the other guy is the bad guy. Anyone not being responsible about what to do can't be expected to be responsible about everything else, too.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:22 PM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Randye,
Just turn all you have into your agent they will be able to find his insurance (or lack there of) and you won't have to worry about it any more. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:58 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes..let your insurance company work it out. Chances are he has no insurance.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:50 PM   #10
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
thanks for all the positive info. The young man came in this morning and gave us his insurance info and we will call our agent and give him all this info. So hopefully the car goes in the shop next week and we were told we could rent a car for the four days it will take to fix on his insurance. The shop is right next to the RV Park we are running. They have a 5 star rating. You have all been very helpfull.