Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2007, 03:29 PM   #1
carlb

M.O.C. #7703
3400 electricity problem

Hifolks,
I have a problem with our new(07) 3400 RL unit. We have lost 110 vac to several of our outlets, and I will send a quarter to anyone who can tell me the problem. You probably won't believe me, but here are the details: no power in following outlets/items- overhead fan/light-built in vac-light over dining table-outlets next to stove, end of counter, at step to BR, and behind couch and dining area. The outlet that provides the GFI protection for there circuits on the counter next to the small cab works. There is power on the line leaving that box. These circuits just stopped working...no trama or event noted. First thought was blown breaker, but if that was case, the GFI outlet would not have been working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Carl B.

carlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:35 PM   #2
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
But it could be blown at the GFI. This could be the first outlet in this line. Just a thought.
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:44 PM   #3
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
carl, I belive the GFI is on a separate circuit. Did you loose one side of the 50 amp power? Quick way to test if you do not have ameter, is add the 30amp pigtail and plug in to 30 amp outlet and see if the lights come on.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 04:08 PM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I think Rogue has the answer. We had the same thing in Florida over Thanksgiving, the 30 amp check will tell you if it is a pedestal problem as ours was.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 04:30 AM   #5
carlb

M.O.C. #7703
Thanks for the reponses, but they don't fit the situation. There is power leaving the GFI outlet, and that outlet is in that circuit. Where we are at the moment only has 50 amp service so can't try that, but can't see why that would only effect a portion of that single circuit.
Does anyone have any idea of the physical layout of these circuits?

again, thanks for the response thus far.

carl
Old 12-08-2007, 06:28 AM   #6
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Carl, Maybe you already know this, but incase you did not, the 50 amp has a line 1 and line 2. Each line comes in and goes to a breaker (2 separate brakers, I do not know which ones, but think if memory serves me a 30 anp and 20 amp breaker, but could be 2, 30 amp brakers). If the 50 amp service comming in looses one of the lines, only the hot one will come into the one braker and provide service for only those items on that one braker. If you have a volt meter, check to make sure both lines have power at the plug.

If you have the voltage on both lines into and through the brakers, then you will need to start checking the specific circuits, and I'm at a loss to help much futher, but someone here may be able to add to this.

Good Luck
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 07:19 AM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
The GFCI circuits are not necessarily independent of other circuits. In my Big Sky 340 RLG (same floor plan as your 3400) the GFCI at the lavatory also covers the bedroom plug on the same wall and the plug on the outside between the door and the bay door. I know this because I just replaced a faulty GFCI, then all three plugs came alive. So if you have a GFCI in the kitchen, it could easily affect other kitchen area plugs.

One way to test it is to remove the GFCI and see how many pairs of wire are there. If more than one pair, then you have additional circuitry down stream. One pair is called line the other is called load. Line is your feed and load is you additional circuitry. Connect the wires in the box (black to black and white to white and see what plugs wake up. This how I knew it was only my GFCI that was bad.

If you have lost all 120 amp power, then I would look at the convertor. IF not, then options seem to be GFCI plug, breaker, or loose wiring. Work from easy to hard.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 04:01 PM   #8
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
Carl,

You might have a loose return line. If you haven't already done so, you might want to pull the breaker panel cover and tighten the bus strips where the return and ground wires are terminated. I had a problem surface on several of my outlets about a year ago and chased the problem down to a loose screw securing the return wire to the bus strip in the breaker panel. Tightened the srew and that solved the problem. I found five other loose screws and tightened them at the same time. No problems since. This was a bear to chase down because I found I had power along the circuit, which provided a false sense that the wiring was ok. It took some head scratching until I opened the breaker panel to really check things out.

Good luck.

Tom

EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:53 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good point Tom.
I found all my Neutral wires just finger tight, and some of the wires on the breakers as well.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 02:11 AM   #10
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
If this turns out to be the problem (or not) you should do a trick that OZZ taught us to solder the wires that enter the breaker box. After you can really get down on those screws that hold the wires intact.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:59 AM   #11
carlb

M.O.C. #7703
Hi again folks,
I have fixed the problem with this circuit. The problem was that the hot connection on the load side of the gfi was not making good contact. On this unit, there are two terminals in which wires are inserted and trapped to provide a connection, and one screw terminal I had voltage on the two unused terminal, so assumed the GFI was working. However, the third terminal was not good.
As a side issue, I contacted the dealer, Tarpley RV of Durango, CO. seeking some hint about the problem and I was quite impressed with their response. They said to find a local mobile tech, have the problem fixed and Tarpley would pay the bill. Based on the stories I have heard of other dealers I was quite pleased.

carl b.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:59 PM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks for the follow up Carl, we often wonder what the resolution to a problem was.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote