Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2007, 08:56 PM   #1
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
Window Caulking

Has anyone found it necessary to re-caulk their windows? I noticed black streaks forming below the windows recently and on the back window a rust streak from the bottom of the big window. The caulking is beginning to harden and flake out, a good sign that a caulk job is in order. What type of caulking have you used and do you recommend that I pull the windows to remove the old caulk before re-caulking?

Thanks,
Tom

EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:45 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Tom, on my '07 they have used a Black sticky caulk/sealer. I pulled one window and changed it out, I peeled the Black sealer off and used it on the new window. If you do pull your window, get this Black sealer from your dealer. It sounds like they were using the off White sealer on yours. Yes, you would want to pull the window to get a good sealing job.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 06:53 AM   #3
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Tom I have purchased a different type gray caulking tape that does not shrink or run black streaks, The oil used in the original caulk from the factory will produce black lines and shrink.
The name of the product is called Sticky or Tacky Tape it has no oil in it to run down the wall, and it doesn't shrink.
The only down side of the caulk is that it is hard to remove the window later, but I dont intend to ever remove it anyway, if it gets damaged the insurance company and the RV repair can take it out.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:23 PM   #4
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Good info, TT2.
Thanks. It's filed away for future use.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:45 PM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I caulked mine with clear silastic sealant both on the outer edge of the grommet and the inner edge of the grommet, all the way around. Stopped the leak we had there in 2005 and no leaks have recurred.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:04 PM   #6
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
Thanks to all for your input. The common suggestion appears to be that I pull the windows, clean out old caulk, and recaulk.

Ozz, the caulking used on my windows was the black sealant. The problem with it is that it appears to expand in the heat and then harden where it then flakes away, leaving air gaps where water can penetrate. I am looking for something that will remain pliable, not shrink and not bleed.

I like the idea that Trailer Trash 2 suggests. It seems to fit just the need (no oils to bleed, will not shrink, and is permanent).

Now I wish I had a larger shed to store monty in! Would make it a bunch easier to do this job inside instead of out in the weather.
EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:35 PM   #7
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Tom, if you need a hand, let me know. I can hold the "dumb end" for you.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 04:05 PM   #8
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
With as much as there is to caulk I have been thinking about just taking mine to the shop for a complete caulk job. I just haven't been able to bring myself to part with anymore money just yet. I might end up doing it myself so I can but some other winter items. How often does everyone recaulk their unit?
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote