Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2007, 06:04 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Rear shade problems in 3400RL

I found the reason we have had problems with our rear day/night shade from day 1.
It only has two screws in it for support, one on each end..it's 6' long, the center sags about an inch. This causes all kind of operational problems. Our tore on the top on one end, I'm on the way over to get our replacement now.
Here are some pictures of the shade, didn't turn out real good, but you can imagine the heavy shades supported by one screw on each end.
The pictures are grouped in with cable from another post.
It works better if you choose slide show and change the interval to 6 seconds.
Camera cable and rear shade pictures

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:23 AM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Ozz,

One other thing I have found is that the shades are often installed with the string tension too tight. You might try this as an experiment. Loosen off the tension on the cords at the bottom bobbins. When loose, the shade will just fall down. Now, add back just sufficient tension to hold them up. With some tinkering you should be able to get your shades to go up and down with one finger. That has been my experience anyway.

On edit: If the cords are already frayed, you may have to replace them first.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:50 AM   #3
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
On our's the small long day/night shade next to the recliner string broke due to too tight and ripped the cloth curtin that run down the side. called the dealer here in colorado springs and he asked if I bought from them and said no he said he can sell me a restring kit... I called Cust Svc at Montana they arranged the dealer to repair or replace my day/night shade and order and replace the outer curtin.. my year is not up till 1 Jan.. Good montana service.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:00 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ozz - thanks for the post and am interested in your fix.

In addition to the upper sag, our lower cross piece arcs down on the outer edges, so the curtain never quite opens all the way as the middle hits first. I might insist on a fix from the Dealer if I see you have a fix for the mounts.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote