Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2007, 10:06 AM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
BZZZZZ goes the water heater

Anyone hear a buzz from the water heater when running hot water from any faucet or know what causes that? It happens whenever hot water is running.

The buzz corresponds exactly with when hot water is running and only when it is running. The only thing I can think of is the checkvalve on the cold water inlet to the water heater.

Any ideas what is causing this? And is it a potential problem?

Thanks.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:58 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Steve -
I believe it was Ontmont that had some buzzing that ended up being the anode rod. It was wierd but he had a good explanation as to why and a replacement rod fixed the problem.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:42 PM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I did replace my anode rod, but that was unrelated to any buzzing. Our HW heater has recently developed a buzz. My totally unproven theory is that if scale forms on the heating element, and then a small peice falls off, this leaves a small piece of the element exposed to the water. This small piece becomes a "hot spot" where localized boiling takes place, causing the buzz.

This is not good news, because the element will eventually fail at that spot. I am going to try to clean mine off if I can using the anode rod drain opening. I may end up having to remove the heating element.

If it comes to replacing the element, there are more expensive elements available that have a lower watt density (same wattage spread over a larger heating area), these are said to last longer.

As I said at the beginning, this all theory, I may be completely wrong and welcome other suggestions. Ozz???

On edit, I should have read Steve's post more closely, his buzz is flow related, mine is whenever the the heater is "on" (we have an indicator light for that). I am now inclined to agree with the check valve theory, at least in Steve's case.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:04 PM   #4
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
It could be the anode rod as Brad said, or it could be the check valve for the winterization. Had a buzzing in by hot watter tank on a class C, The buzz only happened when using hot water, not cold. Then the winterization check valve stuck closed and we got no hot water. Had to go pull out the check valve, doing so the washer on the plastic pipe broke and had to go buy one ot those. Murphy again.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:28 PM   #5
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Have the same problem in the Monty, had it in our Terry also, the one way valve in the cold water line was the culprit on the Terry, think the same on the Monty. Mildly irritating but reminds me that someone (the DW probably) is running water and I shouldn't if I don't want to get my head snapped off, so I see it as a feature.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 05:13 PM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I have a newer water heater and the "buzz" sound occurs only when the heater is heating the water. I've never heard it when drawing water. I don't think it has anything to do with the anode rod because it happened on our old heater as well as the new one. We replaced the old heater because it got banged up in an accident.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:19 PM   #7
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
I too have a noise in the water heater on my '07. It is present as long as the heater is on and sounds like water comming to a boil in a kettle. I have replaced the annode but have not had a chance to refill and run the heater as yet. We head out in early Sept so will report then if it changes anything. I would like to turn the temperature down as the water is plenty hot but I undersrand that there is no adjustment.
berridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 05:04 AM   #8
RonS
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1316
Sometimes mine would do it. I think you must have air in your system in order for it to work properly. After reading the water heater book it told me how to get the air into the system, after that the sound went away, and the pressure valve guit leaking/weeping.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote