Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2007, 02:57 AM   #1
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Kitchen slide not going out right

My kitchen slide in my 3400 suddenly started acting up. It comes in and seals OK, but going out and sealing is another matter. Unlike the other slides which go out top first (tops leans out ahead of the floor and hits the top seal first), my kitchen slide a month ago started going out with a backward lean. What this causes is a lack of seal on the top of about 2 inches, as normally your seal with a slide - going out - is accomplished by hitting the top first, then the gearing/arn mechanism on the bottom continuing to push the bottom seal tight. As soon as the bottom seal is tight the slide mechanism stops.

If the BOTTOM hits first going out (or coming in for that matter), the mechanism will stop, assuming all is tightly sealed. If the top still had not gotten to the main body of the 5ver - 2 inches in my case - it will stop and go to the next slide.

I have even isolated this slide to no avail. You can even stand beside the rig and notice the slight inward tilt of the top of the kitchen slide compared to the bedroom and entertainment slides, also located on that side of the 3400.

I do NOT have any leaks even though it is not in all the way on top.

I just took it in to a dealership for some other work and their "slide guy" was not there that day. They tried to adjust partially, but ended up scratching their heads. I told them I would have keystone look at it at the Rally in Sept - as long as it continued to not show any signs of leaking.

I have slide toppers and it is almost as if they are pulling too hard on the top of that slide when it is going out (and coming in). The service tech wondered that too, but my though is that it would REALLY have to be pulling back to tip that heavy slide???

Any suggestions?

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:29 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dave,

My kitchen slide has leaned the opposite way all along (tips in on top). I don't see anything in the design that would change that. The slides are not much more than a box with a ram that pushes the bottom out. The top just goes along for the ride. I don't think it is that uncommon for the kitchen slides to tip the opposite way, given the weight distribution from the appliances. I think that is why you hear of folks tearing the lino floor with those slides more often.

I also got concerned when I noticed I can push out on the top of the slide when it is retracted. I relaxed when I found out I can push all four of them out at the top, not just the kitchen.

It is quite possible your kitchen slide topper is causing the change - it doesn't take much tension to change the balance.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:09 PM   #3
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Dave,

In my opinion, it is the slide topper. I think that somehow the tension on the roller has gone out of adjustment and has increased the tension.

On the 3400's and on my 35RLQ, our kitchen slides are more suseptable than the other 3. That is because this slide room system is mounted in the frame on a level plain compared to the sofa/dinnette and entertainment. Those 2 systems are mounted in the frame on a 5 degree angle. That is why when those two come in, the are moving "up hill". The kitchen slide moves sraight in and out.

Now, you are going to say "so does the bedroom but, it doesn't tilt much as it is moving in and out". That would be correct except that the bed structure itself is acting as a lever and counter balance.

Make sence?

Our Physics lesson for today.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:39 PM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Brad for the input. Makes me feel a little better. However, this just started happening a few weeks ago - after I have had my 3400 for about 11 months. Never had this problem before.

Dale, thanks for the physics lesson. When we rigged up yesterday, I REALLY noticed the backward tip. Bottom of the slide was over 12 inches out before the top started out. Seems to be getting worse. Almost scary watching it - seriously. I believe that the tension on the slide topper may be the culprit. I took the 3400 in last week. They noted the slide problem. Their slide guy had been called out on an emergency run, so the techs left at the shop tried to adjust the slide to help compensate. They agreed with me that it was possible that the slide topper could be the culprit, but this was at 4:50 pm and they said they would note it on the paperwork as my warranty (one year Keystone) ran out the next day...

What can I do about that tension on that slide topper spring? Probably nothing... You will probably tell me to go back to the dealership. Do I just have the whole slide topper replaced? Miraculously, It is within 2 inches of sealing and we have had absolutely no leaking around the top of that slide during rain - yet...
Old 07-25-2007, 04:48 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
With so many slide toppers out there wouldn't this be a more prevalent problem? Or is it something wrong with the slide topper?

If it's the topper, couldn't Dave be outside while Cheryl moves the slides and Dave could apply pressure to the bottom of the slide and see if counteracting the topper solves the problem?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 05:35 PM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I tried pushing on the top of the slide from the inside as it was going out. I made very little difference... I imagine it's a real job getting that slide topper disconnected or off to try that slide w/o the topper possibly pulling on it?

I think, Steve, that pushing on the bottom of the slide wouldn't work well as that is where the drive mechanism is. I would have to be able to pull out on the top (rather than push in on the bottom) while extending - I think???
Old 07-26-2007, 10:28 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

I think, Steve, that pushing on the bottom of the slide wouldn't work well as that is where the drive mechanism is. I would have to be able to pull out on the top (rather than push in on the bottom) while extending - I think???
You're right, Dave. I hadn't thought about that.

When you retract the slides, and when viewing them from outside, do both ends of the slide (right and left) hit the coach at the same time or does one hit and then the other? The latter would indicate misalignment and maybe could cause some drag that keeps the top from pulling out as it should? I know that's a longshot but...
Old 07-26-2007, 01:34 PM   #8
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Dave,

The room is not leaking because the topper is doing it's job. Keeping water off the roof of the room.

I'm not quit sure how the tension on the roller is adjusted but, I would think it would be fairly simple to do to loosen it just a smidge.

I work with a fine lady that used to be a Dometic phone tech......I'm going to pick her brain.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 03:28 PM   #9
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Dave, The slide topper is easy to disconnect. There should be two screws in each bracket that holds the hexagon tube. While the slide in, pull all four screws, standing in center on step ladder now slide and unroll canvas a bit to one side till one end come out then repeat going other way to get other end out. Put assembly on roof and run you slide in/out test w/o the topper...I think that procedure should work.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 07:46 PM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Steve, I believe both ends of the top are hitting at the same time... But I will double check in the morning... Good point.

Dale, I agree that the topper could be protecting and hiding an otherwise leaky situation.

Charles, I will try this in the morning...
Old 07-27-2007, 05:41 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Noneck, could you elaborate a bit on sliding the topper one way and then the other? I'm not following that. Are you removing the material from where it slides into that strip on the Montana?

Dale, MIMF, the topper tension adjusts exactly the same way as the patio awning. But on the patio awning I've been told two people should work together because with one person turning the (wrench?) to adjust the tension can let it get away and arms have been broken when that happens.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:27 AM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Raining here this AM. Did check the tension. Seemed tight - until I checked the other slides... about the same. Must be something else. I did spray a dry lube on the seals, but I have not had a chance to isolate and run that slide in and out yet. Surely those rubber seals (not lubed for about 8 months) would not drag that much???
Old 07-27-2007, 10:23 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ours haven't been lubed yet and the rig is 11 months old. And the slides don't do that.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:52 PM   #14
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Hi Steve, Here's what I was talking about. Again, slide must be in to have least amount of spring load on Topper.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:18 PM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Those were the 2 screws I was thinking about. I only have one screw in each of the arms in my kitchen slide, though.

I lubed the heck out of the seals, still did not make any difference. I stood on top of the 3400 kitchen counter and pushed the top out as hard as I could while the wife ran the slide. Felt like I was trying to hold the whole slide up! I was able to get it ro seal fairly good, but I really had to exert a huge amount of effort. Something is definitely something out of whack. Need to get it to the factory or a dealer that knows what they are doing with slides.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:29 PM   #16
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Hi dsprik, yes...when I installed my slide toppers I put 2 screws in...sounds like dealers don't? Anyway, I think if I were you I would be looking under that slide at the outside edge where the slide piston pushes on the flange. Sounds like there is an upward force happening or the flange is rotated....keep us posted on this one.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:46 PM   #17
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
What's curious is that the slide seems to go out smoothly - no unusual noises or jerky movement... Did however seem to not be completely in before the next slide started.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:07 PM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Noneck, thanks. That makes it much easier for dummies like me.

Dsprik, it's not really unusual for another slide to start moving before another is completely in or out. It works on the principal of "least resistance."
Old 07-28-2007, 03:20 AM   #19
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Right Steve, dummy doesn't belong in same sentence as your experience is invaluable.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:49 AM   #20
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
You are right Steve, that is a normal occurrence. That's why I think there is something unusual at play here.