Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2007, 01:50 AM   #1
Sunnyside
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6859
Slide awings: Yes or No?

When I purchased our Mountaineer, I asked the dealer about slide awnings. He said that there were pros and cons to both, and actually suggested not installing them. I figured if the dealer walked away from a sale, then he must be either honest, or crazy.

I would, however, love your opinions on them. We winter camp, with the unit on site all winter, so we have snow on the slides quite often.

Thanks,

Jim

Sunnyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:55 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I had them installed. My Prows. They help keep the leaves and snow off the slides when it is time to close them. Therefore, less stuff comes inside riding on top of the slide. They also keep the sun off the tops of the slide so less heat in the Monty.
My Cons. They flap in the wind and do make some noise.
I would get them again. My last two units had them.
Edit Thanks Chuck and Carol. - above I talked about the slide tops. I do have the window awnings. They block the sun and also cut down on people looking in. They do cut down on looking out also. I would do them again.
Good luck and safe towing.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:22 AM   #3
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Do you mean the slide awnings or the slide toppers? I had awnings put on our last unit to match the main awning. Glad I did. The sun can really make the unit warm and I can't take a lot of air conditioning. The toppers help a lot. Chuck didn't have to sweep before we pulled the slides in.
Our new unit already has the toppers. All I have to do is save for my awnings.

Carol
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:50 AM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I am supposing you're talking about the top awnings. I would have to give long consideration, as we spend lot's of time in windy areas. If the wind blows parallel to the RV, those toppers will drive you crazy. It feels as if they will turn the trailer over. No sleep at night. I tried both air mattresses and rope around them. (Does a little to help.) I doubt if I would get them. I'd rather sleep good at night, then get up there and sweep the slide off. (They were on ours when we purchased it.)
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:38 AM   #5
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
We have the slide toppers and would not go without them. Pros and Cons are the same as John's that he previously posted.
We also installed a window awning and would not go with out one...agree with previous posters about keeping sun out and people from looking in.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:48 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sunnyside

When I purchased our Mountaineer, I asked the dealer about slide awnings. He said that there were pros and cons to both, and actually suggested not installing them. I figured if the dealer walked away from a sale, then he must be either honest, or crazy.

I would, however, love your opinions on them. We winter camp, with the unit on site all winter, so we have snow on the slides quite often.

Thanks,

Jim
Jim, When we purchased our rig in 2000 I also wanted the slide awnings (toppers) but my dealer, Ketelsen RV in Hiawatha, IA, didn't recommend them. He said that in his many years of experience that they weren't worth the money spent. He had many units on his lot with the toppers on them and he said that when big winds came up the toppers had a tendency to "unwind" (his term, not mine), then flap and tear.

Because I felt that his experience and "know-how" was important and that he could have made some money off me, the toppers were not for me. Now, having said that, each person has to make their own decision in these matters because it is very, very, very personal when it comes to your rig.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:33 AM   #7
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Jim thnaks for adding this post. I have bee trying to decide if I want slide toppers for a couple months now and this is great information to help make a decision.
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 07:10 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We have had the slide toppers on all three Montanas but not on the two prior fifthwheels. What I like about the awnings is I never need to go up on the roof to sweep off the slides before retracting them. Twigs, ice, snow, water, just rolls off the sides when you retract the slides. There may be some value to keeping water off the top of the slide and keeping the hot sun off (cooler inside) but I consider those secondary, for us.

The con is that the material on the toppers will last three to four years and then you have to replace the material. It's worth it to me.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:34 AM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
We don't have them simply because of the wind. The winds are strong enough where we go that you either bring in the slides or it tears the fabric. In this 3400 there isn't much to do inside with the slides in, except stand up very thinly .

There are alternatives, such as those that retract independantly of the slides, but for our part time use, I couldn't justify the benefit versus the cost.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote