Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2007, 05:00 PM   #1
sheiba1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5291
Big leak around the water heater

Hi all well we have run into a major leak in our 2006 3600RE. Our septic backed up at the house my wife has to shower and go to work so no problem I hook up the hose to the Montana and turn on the hot water tank. Go back to the house and tell wife that she will have to shower in the trailer she comes back and tells me that there is water under the trailer, I went back and sure enough water is running down the drivers side under the water tank. Anyone know how to get to the tank ?

sheiba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:31 PM   #2
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Not too sure where your HW tank is, on our 2006 2980 It is just rear of the (drivers side) basement storage door.
In ours you can take 6 screws out of the paneling (rear side of the storage compartment) and it opens it up to the HW tank
and all sorts of piping. My bet is that one of the water fittings came loose. not too big of deal once you get into that area.
Having said that. hopefully your WH tank wasn't full of water and froze.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:02 AM   #3
sheiba1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5291
Thanks for the response! It seems in the same place so I will try and see what is going on. This unit is supposed to have the arctic insulation package, live in Tucson we were not that cold long enough to freeze.
sheiba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:38 AM   #4
timothy
Established Member

M.O.C. #6723
Could you have drained the tank for winter and left the drain open? I did this last year.
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:42 AM   #5
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Have you looked at the relief valve? It could be passing because of expansion when you heated the water. May need to open & re-close. Hope it is something simple!
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 03:41 AM   #6
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sheiba1

Hi all well we have run into a major leak in our 2006 3600RE. Our septic backed up at the house my wife has to shower and go to work so no problem I hook up the hose to the Montana and turn on the hot water tank. Go back to the house and tell wife that she will have to shower in the trailer she comes back and tells me that there is water under the trailer, I went back and sure enough water is running down the drivers side under the water tank. Anyone know how to get to the tank ?
We just had to have our hot water heater replaced,( '05 3400 RL ) I noticed water dripping on the outside from the frame. Looked at the heater from the inside and there was water on the piece of plywood that the unit is on. Our mobile RV guy had one heck of a time getting to it from the inside for the fittings due to the little rough cut access hole, he had to cut it larger to get his arm in there. I called Suburban and they sent a new unit to the mobile tech, and said they would pay for one hour labor. Hopefully when they see the pic. of the access hole to the unit they will pay the rest of the labor. He took the styrafoam cover off the old one and it was all rusted on the bottom and apperared to have a bad weld.
Hope you have a "lesser" problem.
Chris
Roamingusa is offline   Reply With Quote