Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2013, 02:30 AM   #1
gkidsdlite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12956
Insulation

I have a lot of time to think about things as I drive a truck for a living and while thinking about my fulltiming future I spend a lot of that time wondering about how the Montana is made! I haven't been to the factory yet and was wondering about the insulation of the Monty! The aluminum studs as near as I can tell are square tubes and they show all the insulation in the walls but the tubes don't show any in them! To my thinking that is a place where they can improve in there construction! Please let me know if I am wrong! I would think you would want foam inserted inside the tubes after all the welding is done!

gkidsdlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:45 AM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Just guessing, I'd imagine it would be pretty pricey and labor intensive for an RV manufacturer to inject foam into the aluminum frame considering it's many dozens of pieces butt welded together. You'll still have the the outer aluminum tube directly contacting both the inside and outside skins. This issue is a big selling point for SOB's with wood framework. In closing, there are way more recreational RVer's than fulltimers ... I doubt if the non insulation of the wall frame is given much thought with this larger group of buyers. Perhaps your idea could be an option someday as RV's advance in technology.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:59 AM   #3
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
no insulation in tubes. just don't go where it is cold
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:10 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Since we deal with extreme heat where we go, I can tell you the problem isn't the walls it's the windows. We have double pane and still on the days we can't extend the window awnings you will feel the heat even with both shades down.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:45 AM   #5
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Having just been in beautiful Casa Grande, AZ with 112 degrees and no shade trees the single pane windows readily conducted the heat into the coach. We kept the shades down and hung quilts over the windows, but the heat came in from both the windows and walls. We observed others had placed reflective inserts into their windows. As a side note the circuit breaker for the rear air conditioner kept tripping. When the outside temperature dropped below 100 the breaker stopped tripping and work correctly. I believe Canadian standards for RVs insulation/windows is a bit better and that could be something to check out. We typically try to RV in moderate temperatures, but sometimes we miss our window of opportunity.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:24 AM   #6
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Yup, we use the silver reflective material cut to fit each window. This works very good at blocking the heat. I also use it in front of the vents under the steps to keep the cold air from escaping to the basement. Oh and in the heat registers in the floor. We all know cold will seek the lowest point. If you don't do this just checkout your basement on a hot day, it will be cool.

Kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:12 AM   #7
nanstev
Established Member

M.O.C. #8947
Where do you get this silver reflective material? Is it like bubble wrap or more like insulation boards?
nanstev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:49 AM   #8
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
We have spent some time in ours when temps were freezing . No problems. Never for an extended period or below about 15 degrees.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #9
mach111
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13142
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by nanstev

Where do you get this silver reflective material? Is it like bubble wrap or more like insulation boards?

Bought ours at Lowes.
mach111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:43 PM   #10
gkidsdlite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12956
I don't plan on being where it is cold after I retire, I'm going south with all you guys before the snow flies! I could see where the windows would be a greater area of heat/ cooling loss than the frame but, I think if both were addressed along with a high efficiency furnace we could get by a lot cheaper in our 5vers! Like I said I have a lot of time to think about this stuff and wonder if the engineers at Keystone think about this stuff too! To be the best you have to be the best if you know what I mean! Just sayin!!! Thanks for the replies.
gkidsdlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #11
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
As far as injecting insulation into the tubes it isn't necessary if the tubes are not open ended. Air has a high insulation rating if it cannot circulate.
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:30 PM   #12
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
The aluminum frame has served us well with no issues down to 20 below. Below that, even our S&B felt the cold. I have been really surprised how well the units hold heat.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #13
nanstev
Established Member

M.O.C. #8947
Thanks, will check them out tomorrow.
nanstev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:45 PM   #14
Wiesehan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9711
Send a message via Yahoo to Wiesehan
I just wish there was insulation in the slide out walls. If you haven,t had the occasion to look in one just pull an access panel. There is no insulation in them. As far as windows I agree big loss of heat in cold weather and source of heat in hot climate. We made thermo lined curtains and that helps a lot, but it makes the coach a little dark. Wife says it is like living in a cave!
Don
Wheel to wheel SS side bars
Wiesehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:16 PM   #15
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
No insulation in the slide walls?? I haven't checked that yet, and would be surprised to find none there. I know the seals on the slides do not seal the air flow when the wind is blowing.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote