Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2012, 08:01 AM   #1
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Trim the decals? Glue the decals?

We had a total decal replacement done in May of 2011. Now, once again, many of the decals are peeling badly. We're NOT going to have them replaced again. I seem to recall reading on a MOC board about someone who carefully trimmed the peeling areas so that they didn't look so bad. Is that an option? If so, we'd like to hear from anyone who has done that (razor blade, scissors?). And has anyone tried to "restick" the decals? If so, how?

We're so disappointed with the decal situation. It's been discussed repeatedly by MOCers who've had the same problem, so I won't even waste time commenting about it again except to say that for the money these rigs cost, you'd think Keystone could come up with a solution to the problem so that the decals were never a problem in the first place.

Carolyn

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:10 AM   #2
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Yep, and Keystone is no help at all. Sorry I can't help with your problem, though, I've been wondering what to do myself. Maybe paint graphics, with no reference to keystone at all.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:18 AM   #3
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Trim with razor blade evenly . Red Max Pro III restores color.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
The problem is the Glue. I feel the time you take to trim them will be lost in another couple of months as they roll and peal again.

Keystone worked with me and replaced the bad ones for my 07. I did have to cover the removal and installation costs.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:52 AM   #5
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
If I knew that Keystone had an answer to the graphics problem, a "sure fix, stay-on" graphics solution, I might have our graphics replaced again. But, we've met too many other Montana owners who have peeling graphics, so I don't think a permanent answer to the problem has been found. What a shame, because Montanas are beautiful trailers and we love ours!

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:06 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I know it has been discussed ad nauseum, but I still wonder if it is not something about the surface they are installed on rather than the graphics themselves. Those who have had graphics peel and replaced, typically have them peel again. Where those of us lucky enough to have them not peel in the first place go years with no problem.
Maybe some slight difference in the composition of the fiberglass, or the finish on it, or ????
Mine is approaching 6 years old. The side and rear graphics and the front mountain still look great. The only curling at all is in some of the inside corners of the front MONTANA. And that is still fairly minor. I did carefully trim those with a razor blade last summer.
A good friend with an '08 model had his peel, replaced them, and they began to peel again after a little over a year.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:57 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

I know it has been discussed ad nauseum, but I still wonder if it is not something about the surface they are installed on rather than the graphics themselves. Those who have had graphics peel and replaced, typically have them peel again. Where those of us lucky enough to have them not peel in the first place go years with no problem.
Maybe some slight difference in the composition of the fiberglass, or the finish on it, or ????
Mine is approaching 6 years old. The side and rear graphics and the front mountain still look great. The only curling at all is in some of the inside corners of the front MONTANA. And that is still fairly minor. I did carefully trim those with a razor blade last summer.
A good friend with an '08 model had his peel, replaced them, and they began to peel again after a little over a year.
At a Goshen rally 2 or 3 years ago, Burlington Graphics told us it was exactly that, a change in the composition of the nosecap material, that caused the graphics to not stay stuck properly. At that time they believed they'd solved the problem. However, our replacement graphics peeled about 3 years after replacement. We got new graphics again for the nose and front part of each side, from Keystone. We paid to have the old removed and new installed just to find out the "new" graphics were a smaller size than the originals. So now we have a shadow around the new graphics because the underlying high gloss finish that had been covered by decals has not faded like the rest of the rig. Fortunately it's not too noticeable. By the way, when Keystone sent those graphics they said they were the last of what they have available for our year. I guess that means we're on our own to find replacement graphics in the future. Pretty sad situation when there has been so much trouble with the graphics on the 2007 models and some later ones.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #8
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
I don't buy the EXCUSE about a change in the nose cap material. I just recently removed the mountain on my '08. It looked like the dickens.

However the glue/adhesive was still stuck to the cap and stuck well. It was the colour layer that was peeling off of the adhesive.

The adhesive took 5-6 hours with a heat gun, razor blade scraper, lots of brakecleaner spray applied to a rag, not directly as I didn't want it running everywhere, and finally wax which got the last tiny bit.

THE ADHESIVE DID NOT LET GO.

And as I mentioned in another thread . The side decals are now showing signs of the same nonesense although no where as far along in peeling.

I will not replace them as the replacements seem to be garbage also.

As far as I'm concerned the trailer looks better now that the crumby decal is gone.
clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #9
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
I have the new replacement decal for front, but decided to not replace cause I hate to work at something I am sure wont last. So I will just carefully trim off curled edges, until I have a mole hill instead of a mountain. It will then look like Montana tried to make a mountain out of a mole hill.
Now my side decals are curling too. This curling cannot be attributed to hot sun.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #10
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
I still say keystone or burlington never had the slightest idea how to make them stay on. I am not saying they don't care just don't know. I replaced mine in march of 2010 then I clearcoated them in my back yard. burlington said you could not clearcoat over them and now the factorys are doing it. This march will be 3 yrs and they still look fine. I also did the back cap about a yr and a half ago also looks great. don't no just sayin.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #11
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
I trimed mine back, it did no good. Still came back. What a pain. If it wasn't for the peeling graphics, our Monty would look new. Especially after replacing the molded moldings and recaulked and wax.
scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #12
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Mine is running "Nekid" except for some new decals the local sign feller did for me. Like some others, lots of work to get the decals and glue off. Just wanted to perform that chore just one time.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #13
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
My 08 3585SA has the nose pealing as well. I am going to check if my local graphics guy can replace it with the Montana logo. I am sure he scan the logo in his system and do one that is the same size. He has done my graphics for my business on my pickup side windows 5 years ago or so and they look like they day he put them on. He says it is the type of vinyl/adhesive that is used. I plan on talking to him soon about replacing my front this spring. http://www.midwestgraphicsandsigns.com/
The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #14
fulltimerv
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13143
Your going about this all wrong.... All you need is to get some kids who like to (tag) and have them paint whatever you want on the coach... There's some real talent on the streets...js
fulltimerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:49 AM   #15
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Bobby, what kind of clear coat did you use?
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:03 AM   #16
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
peeled them OFF.......never to return! I see so many Montanas with this decal issue, all same story.
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #17
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Dick I used automotive clear with flex additive. I took off the old ones cleaned and went over it with a scotchbrite pad installed the new graphics. then I sprayed a lite coat of adhesive premoter on the graphics and then clearcoated the entire cap. still looks fine. I was told that the problem was water and dirt would get under the edge of them and start them peeling from there. with the clearcoat nothing can get under the edge. JMHO
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:34 AM   #18
Steve and Susie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12618
I have commented on this subject before. Seems the main problem is Keystone is not monitoring the decal production well enough. I'm sure that process is sub-let to a graphics company. There are three different levels/grades of vinyl, only one is good for outdoor vehicle use. Local sign shops have always tried to save money and put the cheaper vinyl on vehicles, only to have them peel and need replacing. I am replacing only the word Montana on mine, and am hand painting all the other graphics. I know, almost 40 years in the sign shop helps there, but if your going to replace any decals, make sure you tell the local sign person, you know the difference in vinyl and want only the top grade. Also as I Have said, if your handy with a brush, you can outline all your graphics/vinyl with marine spar varnish and in most all cases that will eliminate any peeling. Even if you have to take your unit to a sign shop and have him outline the graphics, that would be cheaper than replacement graphics. Happy Trails, Steve
Steve and Susie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:11 AM   #19
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Steve, what special equipment, i.e. brushes, should be used when applying the marine spar varnish? I assume the varnish is available at any marine shop? How much of an overlap should be applied? As I am still in process of replacing my graphics I want to make sure this is the last time. If I continue to have problems it will be adios Montana.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:42 AM   #20
Steve and Susie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12618
I would use what is called a liner brush. Its available at most any art store. The main thing you are doing is sealing the very edge of the decal, so it dosen't need to be wide, just make sure it overlaps both ways, decal and coach. Being clear, a little squiggle here and there won't hurt, but try to do it when there's the least amount of dirt flying in the air, and not inn direct sunlight as that will make the surface hotter, and your brush will stick. Good luck and be glad to help any way I can, I know the decals are really a sore sight sometimes, and no one wants a 50,000 dollar rig with peeling K-Mart decals.
Steve and Susie is offline   Reply With Quote