Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2018, 12:35 AM   #1
Miss Mary
Established Member

M.O.C. #21119
Slide maintenance

I recently purchased a 2002 3280 RL from a private seller that I intend to live in starting this spring. What kind of maintenance do I need to do on my slides? ie., lubricating pulleys, cables. Also are there any grease zurps that I need to be greasing? It looks old and rusty like it hasn't been super well maintained. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Miss Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:13 AM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
2002 should be hydraulic operation and maintenance is fairly simple. Spray the underrails/gear cogs underneath the slides with a dry lubricant such as Protectal or CAMCO dry slide out lube and protection, and 303 or silicon spray for the slide seals occasionally. Should not have any zerk fittings.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:34 AM   #3
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Same here and also i put a light film of grease on the ram so it doesn't rust when the slides are open. We Full time here so there always open.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:14 AM   #4
Miss Mary
Established Member

M.O.C. #21119
Slide maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleback View Post
Same here and also i put a light film of grease on the ram so it doesn't rust when the slides are open. We Full time here so there always open.
Thank you, I will also be a full timer and I very much appreciate your assistance, but I'm afraid I don't know what the ram is...this is my 1st rv and I am not very savvy on the parts and pieces yet.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:18 AM   #5
Miss Mary
Established Member

M.O.C. #21119
Thank you so much for the information 1retired06. I very much appreciate it!
Old 01-24-2018, 10:28 AM   #6
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mary View Post
Thank you, I will also be a full timer and I very much appreciate your assistance, but I'm afraid I don't know what the ram is...this is my 1st rv and I am not very savvy on the parts and pieces yet.
If you have Hydraulic slides and not the electric type. I grease the cylinder ram, its the part that actually pushes and pulls the slide in and out. you will see it under the slide and it looks like chrome. and every time you cycle the slide in and out you have to grease it. Just a light amount.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:47 AM   #7
Miss Mary
Established Member

M.O.C. #21119
Quote:
If you have Hydraulic slides and not the electric type. I grease the cylinder ram, its the part that actually pushes and pulls the slide in and out. you will see it under the slide and it looks like chrome. and every time you cycle the slide in and out you have to grease it. Just a light amount.
Thank you so much for your knowledge and patience! Much appreciated!
Old 01-24-2018, 03:47 PM   #8
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
I'm not an expert on this but I have read many reports that you should not grease or use spray lubricants on this area (other than dry lubricants as mentioned above). Grease or oil based sprays will attract dust and dirt like flies and may damage the workings of the slide over time. For sure the dirt will cause your slides to make loud squeals when you take them in an out. I had dust get into one of my slide workings and made loud sounds, and I hadn't used anything on them. I hosed them off underneath and the loud noises stopped. If you use grease or oil sprays you wont be able to wash them to remove the dust and dirt as it will stick to the grease on the metal parts.
topjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 05:03 PM   #9
Miss Mary
Established Member

M.O.C. #21119
Thank you so much for the information! I very much appreciate it!
Old 01-29-2018, 10:30 AM   #10
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
One of the notes in our owners manual mentioned that slides should be actuated 1-2 times a week when extended for long periods of time. page 65 4/1/17 Keystone RV Company Owners Manual. This seems rather impossible for full timers.

One other thing I see is the slide out rooms require periodic adjustment. Says covered under warranty the 1st 90 days - Limitations to warranty page 9 - adjustments to slide outs not covered. So I'm wondering which is it?
Old 01-29-2018, 12:50 PM   #11
cardinal96ss
Established Member

M.O.C. #20104
I hate to contradict Eagleback, but the chrome piston on your hydraulic cylinders do not need to be greased every time you work them in and out, if ever. They are chromed for that very purpose and are very slightly oiled by the oil in the cylinder every time they are cycled.
cardinal96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:16 AM   #12
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
If the ram is exposed for a long period of time, like with us full timers that leave them out months at a time with the high humidity like here in Florida. they will rust and get bad enough and destroy the seals when you run them back in.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:28 AM   #13
cardinal96ss
Established Member

M.O.C. #20104
Apologies to Eagleback. Can't imagine the quality of the hydraulic cylinders used to be so low that that would happen. I have experience with cylinders used on other equipment where that would never happen.
cardinal96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:59 AM   #14
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
None needed. I' m with you that they should not rust, but they do and have on my current monty where i had to use wd 40 oil and wet sand the rust scale off then i put grease on them and no more rust. i dont think there chrome like on a front loader, i think there polished hard steel and look chrome because they dont think the slides will be out long and also there under the slide.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:25 AM   #15
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Also were looking at a new unit a Jayco Pinnacle and the from what we have seen and researched, there fit and finish and what they give you compared to other brands is amazing, I love our monty and would by another but Jayco has stepped up the bar. Way up. including electric levelers and slides and that we still can stay in the luxury class coaches. something a full timer like us are looking for when the unit sits a long time.