Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2017, 05:59 PM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Fireplace Question on 2015 3440RL

This week the Dimplex fireplace started to make a squeaking noise with the flame mode on, it goes away when I turn off the flame mode. Heats good no problem. I have never worked on the fireplace before. What will I expect when I remove the four visible screws on the outside glass frame, does the unit pull out? Is it hardwired into the camper or is there a plug back there? What is moving that could cause the squeaking noise? Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks!

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:26 PM   #2
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Welcome to the squeak ;-). My does the same thing after it has been on for awhile, I now like the ember mode as the dealership did not leave it on long enough for it to start squeaking. I use it for heat especially in Spring and Fall instead of using my propane. There is a forum member on here that has fixed his squeak, you can probably find his post if you do a search. If I remember correctly he said the squeak was caused by the shaft that moves the flames being to long. Good luck.

Tom Marty
Old 05-18-2017, 09:31 AM   #3
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Love the fireplace...
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:55 AM   #4
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I can't solve the squeak problem but you should find a standard plug behind it. When we ordered our Montana we opted out on the FP but the outlet and dedicated breaker is still installed and we used it to install extra outlets.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:47 PM   #5
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
The noise is due to the slow turning shaft. It is an aluminum wire shaft with lots of flexible plastic bits about quarter inch or less wide that reflect light as it turns. Think bottlebrush with thick bristles. Anyway, the way this shaft is removed is by bending or flexing it until it comes out of each end in its connections. So just watch it rotate and bend a little to get it to rotate noise free.
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:53 PM   #6
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
By the way, fun just starts when you remove those four screws and pull out of cabinet. Unit should have its own power cord behind the unit. Then you can remove a metal strip on one end to slide the glass out. if you are careful, you could leave the glass in and just remove bottom screws to gain access to the plastic twirly thing that creates the light show. Anyway, kind of fun to figure out how many screws you need to remove to work on it. Just launch into it.
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote