Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2012, 04:02 AM   #1
hydman
Established Member

M.O.C. #9612
Crazy fix for furnace that wouldn't light

I sure don't know if this fix will last but thought it worth sharing. With cold weather not too far away and a furnace that refused to light during last year's annual elk hunting trip to the mountains, I thought I'd best figure out what's going on because this year's trip is just two weeks away. I tried everything I knew but nothing worked. The blower kicked on just like it was supposed to and that's as far as it went. I checked gas pressure, voltage, obstructions, loose wires, etc. with no results. Figured it might be the sail switch, but in this model there is just no way that I want to even think about trying to get to it. About two in the morning...ahaaa!!!, I know what I'll try. Around daylight yesterday morning I fired up my trusty gas powered leaf blower, and stuck the tip right up against the fresh air intake for the furnace and gave it a good hard blast. After kicking up the thermostat, the blower kicked on and I immediately heard a light metallic clank. After a few more seconds I heard the familiar sound of the igniter clicking away and the furnace firing up. I've cycled it repeatedly and so far it's worked every time. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Walt

hydman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:23 AM   #2
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
Now that's ingenious. Where there's a will, there's away.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:12 AM   #3
hydman
Established Member

M.O.C. #9612
Hi Dave, I see you've got the same model as I do. Good luck if you ever have to get at your furnace. That puppy is buried deep.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:16 AM   #4
mrtgraz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11349
No where theres a Will theres a relative.LOL
mrtgraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:28 AM   #5
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
Walt, about a few months after buying it, the furnace would not ignite. The dealer had to remove it. Glad it was not me. But if necessary in the future, I stand ready, chainsaw in hand to do the job.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:06 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
90% of the time, it is a dirty flame sensor, I clean them with a scotch-bright (Green abrasive) or some emery paper. When you blew it out, it probably cleaned off some of the accumulated dirt. The flame is a conductor, when the flame envelops the sensor, that proves a ground for the circuit board and it continues to run, no flame, no fround...dirty sensor..no ground, then no workee...

All are about the same, some bent different...
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
hydman
Established Member

M.O.C. #9612
Thanks for the info Ozz. Sure lots of great information around here. Think I'm going to throw some emory cloth into my on board tool kit.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
You bet Walt, here is a video on the subject:
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote