Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Monty Nightmares

I'm starting a collection of places not to take my Monty. First on the list is Spring Canyon State Park, New Mexico. Wonderful place to picnic, but drop the Monty in Deming or at Rockhound State Park before you go. The first sign is scary enough, but then you get to the second sign "17% grade next 2 miles". The road drops off on both sides so once your committed better be wearing Depends. Here's a couple of pictures: http://s1221.photobucket.com/albums/...20the%20Monty/

DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Bet you came back a different way, hope there was a different way back!
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Whenever possible I scope out the place before I drag the Monty up there. This was one of those times and boy was I glad. One way in and one way out and no way I would have easily turned the whole rig around, even to get back out. Besides lovely picnic areas and amazing views and vistas the park ends in a one mile trail to lover's leap. If we'd had the Monty on behind, Joyce and I might have had to take that way out!
Old 01-28-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Dick,

you need a copy of the East and West Mountain Directory sold at Camping World. It will help you stay off roads like that.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:15 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Here's another for you, Dick. Palo Duro Canyon, south of Amarillo, TX, is a terrific place to visit. They even have campgrounds in the canyon, for dry camping only. However, there is a sign on the road down into the canyon that explains that the downgrade is 10% (about a mile long) so don't go down if you can't get back up.

Your rig shouldn't be a problem and I wouldn't hesitate. We've done quite a number of long 10 percenters and one 14 percenter (on Utah highway 12) that was 4 miles long. That 14 percenter was with our Ford 6.0L diesel and both that truck and this Dodge have done the 10 percenters. They're working hard but they'll do it. But a lot of rigs aren't getting back out of that canyon on their own.

Dick, how long is that 17% grade in your pictures? Near the rv park in Topeka where we like to stay is a 17% grade but it's only a quarter mile long with 35 mph speed limit. I think we could do that one so long as we had a running start but I wouldn't want to go much farther on that steep a grade.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:16 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
OK, I just re-read your post and saw the 2 miles.... I will pass on that one! Maybe I'd do the downhill but not uphill.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:49 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I don't think the 2 miles is accurate. The grade is that long, but the 17% isn't most of it. On the other hand getting a Monty to the top of a 17% grade you can't see over on a road that narrow would not be something I'd want to do. Frankly coming over the top into the unknown was scary for Joyce and I just in the truck. The top is the ridge of the canyon and I was afraid it was going to turn right away or who knows what. The top was so short it was exactly like being on the top of a roller coaster.