Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2008, 09:39 AM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Why do dogs love to roll in $#%&$

Well we got back from Savannah, TN where we did some shopping and I let Betsy and the dogs out about a mile from the rig so Murphy could get a good walk. Beau (the yellow lab) decided he liked something nasty and wanted it all over himself. Betsy saw him rolling the first time and yelled at him. The second time she yelled he came running over and his back was covered with green gack. I sure am glad we planned ahead and brought a large amount of skunk mix. Betsy called me on the phone and I drove back to them and Beau rode in the back of the truck. I used a pint of peroxide a small box of baking soda and a tablespoon of dawn. he is outside soaking as I type this. He hates it but keeps finding stinky stuff. Well as long as he keeps rolling I will keep a stock of peroxide and baking soda... Dave

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:30 AM   #2
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
You are ready for when he meets a black and white kitty. As Smokey says " HERE KITTY-KITTY. We have a westie and also has the same habit,both the gack and the kitty.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:33 AM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Dave, I put Cathy on a plane today for CA to see her ailing dad and pick up our new Lab, she is blonde but almost white as I can tell in the pics. I hope that rolling in the doooo/whatever is not a normal trait for labs or Cathy will get awful tired of cleaning her off. As we live mostly in parks, the ability to let her off leash will be very limited. Hopefully this will eliminate this problem. Not sure I could put up with that.........Phil

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:46 AM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Rolling in "stuff" is normal for dogs. By the way "stuff" includes dead animals. I have no idea why. Perhaps someone with vet experience can enlighten us. Every dog I've ever had has done this type behavior. Whatever it is it is a basic drive of the animal.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:07 AM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Gee Dennis, I guess I have been lucky all these years with the 9-10 dogs we have owned as none of them ever did this. I've had Cockers, Beagles, A Golden, 4 Schnauzers and a couple of muts. I just hope my near white lab does not do this either. When Cathy managed the vet hospital (12 years) in Alaska her biggest idiosyncrasies with dogs were they loved to chase the porcupines and had to have the quills surgically removed. Several calls for skunk odor removal methods also...Also first aid for dogs falling out of the back of pickups, with and without a lead.

What a life, gotta love em...
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:51 AM   #6
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Phil, Beau has done ALL of the above. Only one porky episode, that cost 200.00 as he did it on a Friday night after 9pm and I had to drive his bleeding butt all the way to Rhinelander Wisconsin (60 miles) to an emergency vet. I pulled about 40 out of his lower jaw but when I saw the quills going through his tongue and lips I just called the vet and told her I was on the way. While the vet and her assistant were working on his face I was pulling them out of his feet. Thank God for reversible sedatives. He has been skunked many times and usually finds bear scat in early spring when all the hoses are put away for the winter.... Dave
Old 11-25-2008, 11:51 AM   #7
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
I was told once they do this to hide their own scent.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:05 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
We were walking in the park and next thing I know, Miya is chewing something. So I give her the command and she stops chewing, well almost, so I stuck my fingers in her mouth and pulled the mess out. Mess is not the word, well it really is as it was kitty doo doo. Dogs love to eat kitty doo doo. And I asked my friend, a veterinarian, and he said that cat food is protein laden and the cat does not digest all the protein, so it is expelled when the poo. Dogs love protein.

I keep a close eye on her when we are walking now, but I'll not put my fingers down her throat to pull out the mess. I could not get my hands far enough away from my nose, all the way home, even after rinsing them in a fountain pool. It took soap mixed with bleach. YUK for Kitty poo.

For a skunk encounter - tomato juice.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:19 PM   #9
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Those are referred to as "Kitty Krispies". We used to have a shepard mix who we had to wrestle with to keep her from "cleaning" the litter box.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:04 PM   #10
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
HamRad-

There is a website for animal lovers...people with experience of all kinds of animals. Some being aniaml vet techs....most just good ol dog lovers that have experienced almost everything....Even dogs rolling in poop.

Sign on and see if you like it....be warned like any other sites you have so many different types of temperaments...LOL! personailities posting, but you quickly learn who you like to respond to (or not)

If interested....www.furkids.net
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:05 PM   #11
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
I'm a lucky one....my two dogs only like to roll in my wet towel after I shower....I can handle this one...Whew!
Old 11-25-2008, 05:15 PM   #12
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
PartyCrashers,

Thanks for link. I'll give it a shot.

And of course every dog I've had also likes the "Kitty Fritters"! It is so yucky!

See you later.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:46 PM   #13
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

Well we got back from Savannah, TN where we did some shopping and I let Betsy and the dogs out about a mile from the rig so Murphy could get a good walk. Beau (the yellow lab) decided he liked something nasty and wanted it all over himself. Betsy saw him rolling the first time and yelled at him. The second time she yelled he came running over and his back was covered with green gack. I sure am glad we planned ahead and brought a large amount of skunk mix. Betsy called me on the phone and I drove back to them and Beau rode in the back of the truck. I used a pint of peroxide a small box of baking soda and a tablespoon of dawn. he is outside soaking as I type this. He hates it but keeps finding stinky stuff. Well as long as he keeps rolling I will keep a stock of peroxide and baking soda... Dave
Dave,you're lucky he just likes to roll in it!
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 03:41 AM   #14
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Glad we have the outside shower!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:25 AM   #15
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Dave,
Too funny! Been there, done that. Had a golden years ago that loved to do same re. rolling on his back. Worst was when he found deer hunter "droppings" and rolled in it! Threw him in the Monongahela River to wash off. I still laugh at the memory. Good to discover his rolling BEFORE letting him in the rig?!!!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 05:30 PM   #16
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
Dogs & poo.............

Our friend the vet told us they roll in nasty stuff because they are predators and it hides their scent from whatever they are hunting.
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:10 AM   #17
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
PartyCrasher,
Someone posted a picture of a dog liking to stare at them. Was that your dog?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:52 PM   #18
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
Ha,Ha ....no that was not mine. But did see it...too cute.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:56 PM   #19
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
As for the dogs and dog s**t...Is it better to own a dog that likes to roll in it or eat it?

Worse yet one that likes to engage in both hobbies?
Old 11-29-2008, 02:52 AM   #20
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Rolling in Stinky stuff is to hide their scent, the hunting instinct is strong and does not have to be taught to dogs. The trick is to get them to quit hunting. As for skunks, forget the tomato juice. It does little to remove the scent and once you get the tomato juice all over then they ARE going to shake it off. What a mess and they will still stink. As mentioned before a mixture of Hydrogen Peroxide, Baking Soda and some dish soap works well. Takes about 90% of the scent out. Only downside to this is that you cannot premix the solution, it has to be mixed as you need it. With 4 dogs living in the country I have become a bit of an expert on this. I finally have the skunks cleared our and finally don't have to sniff the kids as they come in the house.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote