Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2008, 06:19 PM   #1
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
How much $ Fuel filter for 07 & 08 Chevy DA

I had a recall for the Chevy so while it was in today I asked them to change the fuel filter. I also watched as they did this work. Simple enough now that I understand where this is. It seems to be no different than changing the oil filter. Just a little priming at the end to get rid of the air.

So how much is the fuel filter at a dealer?

How's $122. and change, this is total cost labor and parts.
Never again as I can do this myself.
Just thought others would like to know the cost.
Chuck

lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:53 AM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
They get you both ways. Overcharging for the filter, then that ridiculous labor rate. I have only had one filter changed at the stealer, and that was because I merely didn't have the time to do it. Last filter I bought I paid $21 for (AC Delco).
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:28 AM   #3
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Can someone give us a reference (maybe a link) that describes and perhaps illustrates the method of changing the fuel filter on Chevrolet D/A 2008.

Sure would be nice to have.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:19 PM   #4
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Let me state that everyone should be paid a fair and reasonable wage for work done. My service was preformed flawlessly and they answered every ? I had. Great. My comment is that I can do this now with the knowledge that I've gleened from the shop. To say that its too much is an unfair statement. Too say that I will do it myself and save "x" is correct.

Dave to answer your ? of how to do it:
1. it is easiest to take the front passenger tire off
2. starting in the rear of the wheelwell (closest to the door) take out the screws/bolts/plugs that hold the inner fender & wires on. (wires are on the inside or other side of inner fender well you do not need to totally remove the fender. Just get about 50 - 75% just so that it is out of your way and you can see the filter. If you have room to turn your filter wrench you have enough room.
3. check to see if there is any water in the filter by turning butterfly nut on bottom of filter. (if you have any water it will drain from here) catch and look at it.
4. with a oil wrench loosen the filter as if it were an oil filter.
5. take off botton of fuel filter, this is the water separator. you'll need this to put back on to the new filter.
6. take new filter and put "O" rings back in it, both top and bottom,
7. put water separator back in if not all ready done. also when putting "O rings in lube the ring or the area the rings are goin into, a few drops of oil will work.
8. fill filter with diesel, this will make priming engine a lot easier.
9. put inner fender and wheel back on.
10. prime engine by pressing down on piston located next to Fuel Filter, primer looks like a "cap" press it approx 10 to 20 times.
11. turn engine over, it may take repriming but it is not a problem just press and release cap a few more times.
Hope this helps,
This is what I paid for and it is worth the money to see them do this. (IMHO)
Chuck
also any of the other "real" mechanics can chime in here as I'm only a parts changer!! & that is only sometimes!
Old 06-11-2008, 03:02 PM   #5
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Chuck, Very good detailed instructions on changing a filter. I don't know what yr you have but you may have to add a step on item 10.
Loosen the set screw on top of filter housing (it's plastic so be careful and use a large screwdriver and not a small one.) Pump and pump and pump until diesel comes out of screw hole. Tighten screw and crank engine. Let it run for a few minutes and if it dies then you still have air in the filter. Loosen screw and pump again until diesel comes out and close screw. Repeat as needed.
Hope this helps.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:43 PM   #6
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
You guys are pulling my leg aren't you? Pull the front tire to change a fuel filter.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:17 AM   #7
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
After one trip to the dealer in 2003 for a oil & fuel filter change I now do my own.I buy the filters at a auto store and my oil at bj's or Sams club by the case and I also grease my own vehicle so I know ALL the fittings get greased.There are forums on the Internet like MY DIESEL with a lot of information on how to do general maintenance. With the money saved I put in the fuel tank.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:28 AM   #8
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigmurf

You guys are pulling my leg aren't you? Pull the front tire to change a fuel filter.
I've seen the battery on that side removed also. On the LB7 engines, the filter will not come out the top side with out adjusting the AC line.

I know on my truck (LLY engine), it is difficult to get the wrench around the filter due to it's proximity to the engine head. One of the venders on DP site sells a small spacer to move the filter out about 1/2". Been gonna get one; just haven't gotten a round tuit yet.

With all that being said, did the dealership actually pull the wheel and inner fender liner? I believe in fair wages too, but over a hundred bucks for a ten minute job just doesn't seem fair to me.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:07 AM   #9
Snownyet
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6077
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigmurf

Ive changed tougher oil and gas filters. Personally Id rather work thru the wheel well than hang over the fender and do it from above.
Snownyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:01 AM   #10
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
The directions in the manual are very good. On my 07 Classic, I do not remove the wheel, but do remove the battery on that side.

IMHO, $122 is rather steep. My filter at an auto parts store was $29...that means $93 labor.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:44 PM   #11
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Guys this is the way the dealership did it so no I not pulling anyones legs. It does seem to be the easiest way on the new trucks (2007.5 & 08's).
As far as the bill goes yes it was a bit much but I was well educated in the procedure so it will not be any trouble in the future. As far as how much is too much when was the last time you paid for college classes. Talk about over priced.
Chuck
Old 06-13-2008, 12:24 AM   #12
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lwcdg

Guys this is the way the dealership did it so no I not pulling anyones legs. It does seem to be the easiest way on the new trucks (2007.5 & 08's).
As far as the bill goes yes it was a bit much but I was well educated in the procedure so it will not be any trouble in the future. As far as how much is too much when was the last time you paid for college classes. Talk about over priced.
Chuck

I see now. They must have had one of those signs in the shop I've seen elsewhere that if you watch, labor cost is doubled. Ha, just funnin'. I know the labor is high at the dealer, over $80 an hour here in Aransas Pass, and anything done is usually a minimum of one hour labor. Not familiar at all with the new D/A, but I know you need a step stool to change my filter from the top. Good details you gave. Yep, everything is overpriced; but I don't think we've seen anything yet!

BTW, not sure if the water in fuel sensor on the bottom is the same on the new trucks or not, but someone had the wrenches for those on Ebay some time back. Of course, mine is all scuffed from channel locks.

Edit: When you change the filter, you might check to be sure the inner seal ring from the old filter doesn't remain on the filter housing. This will happen sometimes, and the new filter won't go on if it does.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:16 AM   #13
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I changed the fuel filter on Bubba and all I had to do was remove the air intake duct work. Whole process took about 15 minutes. One caution, make sure the sensor on the bottom is tight else you get an air leak that really screws things up -- like black smoke exhaust, overheat and low power. The filter I bought was damn expensive - about $45.00 from auto zone.
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:14 PM   #14
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
IMHO, the only way to be sure a job is done right, is to do it yourself...assuming you know what you are doing. As noted earlier, the owner's manual for the D/A is rather detailed and very informative. I wish the Montana's manual was half as good.

As for the so called "mechanics" in some of these dealerships...I have socks older than they are.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:24 PM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I just changed out my fuel filter with the help of a retired GM man who showed me how to do it the first time. Took 15 minutes and $35.30 (incl FL tax) for the filter (Auto Zone).

Thanks for the visual, Bill!
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 04:30 PM   #16
cucalene
Established Member

M.O.C. #8260
Send a message via AIM to cucalene
If you think the fuel filer is expensive at the dealers go and but the Allison spin-on there. they charge $45.00 for a $12.00 filter. When you change the fuel filter fill it with fuel as much as possible it will save priming out air. The tool for the water separator is made by Lisle (part # LS34350) it costs about $8.00, keep it with a spare fuel filter under the rear seat. Tim
cucalene is offline   Reply With Quote