Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2008, 11:27 AM   #1
Dmax07
Established Member

M.O.C. #7949
What GPS to get?

Thinking about getting a GPS. Sales people have not been too helpful. Some sales people hardly know what a GPS is. I would like to get one to use in the TV while on trips and use it by hand while out of the RV while on foot. I like the big screen, text to speech, 3D too. What other features are recommended and are handy? What features do most of you like in a GPS? I know I have opened a can of worms, but let it fly anyway

Dmax07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 12:12 PM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Thats almost like picking a tow vehicle, I have the Garmen 340C, there are plenty of other brands out there, some that might have more buttons and magic than others. DeLorme is a good one too.
I have found that the company that does the mapping for these companies don't update as often as they should and there are errors in directions sometimes. new freeway additions, streets, and some new city deveopments. comsumer reports did a article on all of them a few months back.
Good luck.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:30 PM   #3
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49

With Father's Day coming up, now is a great time to buy a GPS as most GPS are on sale. We recently bought a Garmin Nuvi 760 and we absolutely love it. The Nuvi is extremely simple to use. If you buy a Nuvi, be sure to register it online so that you get the free option to update the mapping system. Mine came with 2007 mapping and the free update gave me 2009 mapping.

I spent a couple of weeks researching all the Garmin and comparing their features, and the 760 was a clear winner for us.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 02:53 PM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
We like our Nuvi 760 (just loading some audiobooks for a business trip next week). It has a nice screen, is lighter weight than the older ones, and now its says "traffic alert - entering scene of accident" in a real sexy voice (Traffic Alert option). What more could you ask for.

I know the new Garmin Nuvi software is a little more POI friendly, but I have no idea how one performs for geocacheing (sp).

As said - it is almost as personal as picking your wife. Just know the good news is that today you are getting more that twice the features at half the price than you would have a couple of years ago when I bought my first Nuvi 360 at almost $600.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 03:20 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have a Garmin 2720 for the truck. I chose that model because I want to set up numerous routes in advance, to places we want to sightsee, etc. That's a limitation on many units. We can have up to 50 routes and 2500 waypoints loaded at any time. And I wanted to be able to do most routing on my laptop and then upload it. Likewise for finding POI's and uploading waypoints. I also like to put in multiple waypoints in a route. If you don't need these features, then there are many others that will do the trick for you.

When I was researching for our first gps I found many of the claims and much of the terminology to be misleading. I bought and returned three before finding the 2720 online.

The 2720 is too heavy to work as a hiking gps and also has no battery. It's all permanently charged erasable memory. But it won't work for anywhere you don't have a 12v or 110v connection.

For outside the truck we have a Garmin eTrex Vista CX. As for what I like, that's hard to say. I like all of it so far. I have no experience with other brands and models so can't tout any one thing for you. Well, maybe one. I heard recently not all have an electronic compass like ours does. It's nice to follow the arrow on the compass rose but that's the only way I've done it so I can't say it's better than other methods.

There are lots of good choices out there. Just be careful about the terminology and claims. They did not always translate to what I thought they meant. So be sure you can return the unit if you find it does not meet your needs.

Good luck.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 05:54 PM   #6
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
I have a Tom Tom. Got it free from United Air Lines. Would NOT buy a Tom Tom if it was my money. JMHO
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:11 PM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I now have an in dash unit that came with my new TV, BUT we also have a Magellan Road Mate 6000T. We also have a hand held GPS we use for Geocaching. I personally think the most important aspect of a GPS is how easy is it to upgrade? My Magellan is upgraded every 6 mos or so. I don't know about any others.......

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:19 PM   #8
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I read here on the forums that Costco is offering the 760 on sale too...it's such a good price I tried to unload my 350 onto my wife so I could get one...LOL

...it didn't work...
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:28 PM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bruce,

Drop it. I did. (actually not planned)

Our Ford in-dash (wifes car) has been upgraded twice at a cost of $250 for each set up 13 CDs from NavTeq. This year I just didn't do it. For what we paid for the in dash and updates to date, I could have bought 5 or 6 Nuvi's, and the in-dash back in 2004 were just not that spectacular. Dash candy as Rich would call it. This has all changed in the last few years I believe. The in-dash units interface much better than the old joystick, accept voice commands, and have better graphics. I don't think they even use CDs anymore.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:44 AM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I have a TomTom 720. I have no experience with others to compare. I have had no problems with the TomTom 720. When I purchased it, it was the second from the top of the line and the price was $499. I have seen it in stores for $399 this past week. There is a 730 model out that accepts voice commands. The 720, 730 and 920 all accept "waypoints," but I am not sure if you can put in coordinates. You can mare a present location for later use. The "mapping," of all GPS units can give errors, even with map updates. I have been traveling down a highway after getting lost on purpose when it tells me to turn left and there is nothing but a field. As most, TomTom is self correcting so if you take a wrong turn, it will get you back on track, or give you an alternate route.

Best thing to do is to research and compare models/manufacturers. Narrow it down to a couple and then ask opinions on just those you are interested in.

Here is one site for GPS REVIEWS
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 03:24 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have 3 different GPS units all different software, We just got a Lowrance XOG as a perk when we leased the 08 Honda that does everything but wash the dishes but is hard to use. They all will get us from point A to B. To me two things are important.. The ease of upgrading and user friendly. The user manual on the OXG is 56 pages...give me a break//////
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:15 AM   #12
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Just to give you an idea of prices right now:

Garmin Nuvi 760:

Costco: $349.99 online only thru tomorrow 4/9. Free standard shipping.

Walmart: $468.54 online only. Free shipping to any Walmart and you go pick it up there, otherwise shipping costs to your home.

Target: $519.00

Best Buy: $349.99 online only thru tomorrow 4/9. Free standard shipping. Currently on "back-order".

There are many optional ways to mount your GPS in your vehicle. They have different holders for the top of the dash, on the face of the dash and even an "airvent" holder. So far, I've found thegpsstore.com is about the cheapest when it comes to buying accessories, but not done looking yet.

NOTICE TO STATE OF CALIFORNIA DRIVERS: California Vehicle Code section 26708(a)(1) provides that "No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows."

That law also applies to signs and decals on windows. I place our Garmin suction cup holder very discreetly near the top left of our window or up above the rear view mirror. It's definitely out of the way but easy for me to see & use the bluetooth feature when driving. Unless you are inside our vehicle, you can't see it. Nighttime is a different story because of the light it generates. When it's mounted above the rear view mirror, it looks like a built-in feature at night.

Margee.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:41 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Our Dodge has a builtin navigation system, too, but, to be honest, I rarely use it. I find it's interface very clunky and very slow. Frustrating afer using the Garmin. I understand the 2008 Dodge has a touch screen version which would eliminate a lot of the problems I have with my Dodge system.

One thing I might mention that I really like about the Garmin. And maybe the other brands do the same thing. If the map and the actual road are not in quite the same place, the Garmin assumes I am not driving in the ditch or that farmer's field and it "snaps" the arrow or car or whatever it is onto the road on the map. When I used a laptop first with Street Atlas (DeLorme) and later with Streets and Trips (Microsoft) it would tell me I'm off road and it would quit showing me the next turn, how far to that turn, etc. That's not good when that turn is coming up. I really like how the Garmin handles this.

On the handheld, for geocaching and hiking I'd highly recommend the unit have trails so you can see where you've been and if you have to you can follow the trail back to your starting point.

I'm not an expert but have learned a few things to help me, mostly learned by trial and error. I'll mark a waypoint where we park the truck so we can tell the gps to take us to the truck. I'll mark a waypoint where a trail splits unless it is well marked. Same thinking. And I'm sure there's lots I have left to learn.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:35 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We also are partial to Garman. two of our three units are Garman. We used Garman in the Government and I was impressed with the technology and ease of use.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 01:28 PM   #15
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
About the Costco price......You can get the Garmin Nuvi 760 online for $349.00

But in our local Costco store (Woodland,CA.) On display you can purchase the Garmin Nuvi 680 for $349.00.

Make sure you know what you want to purchase.
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 04:38 PM   #16
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49

PartyCrashers.... no contest. If they are the same price, the 760 is the way to go as it has a couple of more features (Route storage, Multiple point routing) than the 680. I love the bluetooth feature and the FM transmitter (sends the GPS audio through your car stereo speakers and also can conduct your cell phone conversation thru the stereo speakers as well).

Margee.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:58 PM   #17
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
DandM-

Nice! on the cell phone useage....as with the new state law coming in affect in a few weeks about hands free devices being used in vehicles while in motion......

Kevin and I have been looking at some of the hands free devices that can be clipped on your visors, maybe the Garmin Nuvi 760 might be a better choice, that way we are up grading our GPS and getting a new hands free device at the same time.

I think it's funny how Costco can have someting on sell online and in their "passport coupon" book, but then sale an older model in the store for the same price...

You know there has been other times when I have searched for a purchase, and could of swore I saw it still cheaper in the add for the same store.

I wonder if this is a common practice with other stores to advertise....coupon books or online, but yet the store makes you think you are getting a great deal...on on old item?!

Buyer beware!
Old 06-09-2008, 02:28 AM   #18
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
Yeah, the 760 Garmin has bluetooth but it only "sees" certain phone models. Unfortunately it wasn't seeing ours. If that feature is important to you, you better check on the Garmin site and see if your phone is one to be found by blouetooth. That being said, we still love our 760. So easy to use. And the big screen is nice, too.
Sandy
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:08 PM   #19
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49

Yeah, I saw that about the 760 being compatible with only the phones it has on a list. Mine wasn't listed and I thought "oh great....", but then I tried to set my phone up with it anyways and it works!.. I think their phone list online isn't up-to-date.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:43 PM   #20
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
"up to date"....no surprise there....kindof like the maps...LOL LOL LOL

Still love the Garmin products!