Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2008, 06:12 AM   #1
buschet1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7460
Winegard Digital Receiver???

Has anyone out there used a digital receiver to "beef" up the antenna signal to either/both digital and analog tvs in a Monty? Would this be a wise expenditure or unecessary? In the nice RV resorts they almost always have good cable hookup, but in state parks cable is limited... Camping World is offering a "special" on this product for about $150. (Wineguard Digital Receiver) Any feedback would be appreciated...
Thanks, Sandy
P.S. We have a 3650RK, late 2007 model with one digital and one analogue TV.

buschet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:15 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
To me it sounds like it would be worth the money if you weren't using satellite. As you say, it takes care of the analog/digital issue on the pre 2008 Montanas, and it provides you with an easy way to retrieve the available over the air HD channels you can't get on an analog TV with the standard antennna.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:46 AM   #3
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
On the news last week they gave a website to go to and get a $40.00 rebate on your purchase of the digital converter. It prints out from the website. I didn’t save the web address but I am sure you can do a search and find it.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:48 AM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I have been using a Samsung HDTV digital receiver for several months now. Don't have a lot of channels here, had more back in east TX. We use the digital for locals out of Corpus Christi, as our Dish receiver is subscribed to our residence back in east Tx; no locals on Dish here. One thing I've noticed is weather effects the digital more than analog. Also, the antenna works as good down as it does up with the digital here. I'm sure that can be attributed to the direction the RV is parked.

The HDTV works good on the analog TVs, but the TV cuts the edge of the picture slightly. That is no problem for us.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:23 AM   #5
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I think those coupons for the digital converter boxes are only good for 90 days. If anyone is planning on waiting 'til 2009 to see if they need one, I think you need to wait to request the coupons also. There was also originally a limit of 2 per household, so if you order too soon you may not be able to get any later. I don't know how they propose to control that if you can now print them off the Internet or if that even applies anymore. The news says the boxes are in the stores now for $49 and the coupons are good for $40 off that.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:49 AM   #6
buschet1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7460
Thanks for your responses and information... Is there a difference between a digital receiver and a digital converter??? ...and is one brand better than the others???
I was just on the Consumer Reports website to check out best brands...and it seems as if the receiver and the converter do two different functions??
buschet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:20 PM   #7
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
You already have a signal amplifier in your camper. No need to add anything yet. Digital receivers are going to get cheaper the closer we get to the deadline. The antenna and signal amplifier that is on your unit works fine with with the digital signal if you have a TV with a digital tuner. If you plan to keep your old analog TV when the conversion to a digital signal is complete you will need a digital tuner that will convert the digital TV signal to your old analog TV. If you use satellite or cable exclusively you don't need to change a thing. Save your money!
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote