Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2007, 02:31 PM   #1
fla hobo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #166
Big Sky Counter top

Was wondering what everyone that has a Big Sky thought of there counter top in the Kitchen?

fla hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 03:29 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I like the look of the counters in the Big Sky. However, I'm not a fan of the 1-piece counter top right now. I know it's the new look, but I'm having to get the entire counter replaced under warranty because of some tiny cracks in the sink. Old days I could have replaced the sink myself in an hour or so.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:53 PM   #3
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
We love the look of it but scratches very easily.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:03 PM   #4
fla hobo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #166
I was thyinking the same thing. I thought maybe it was doing something wrong. If I understand right the countertops they use in the Montanas, you are to buff the scrathes out? Our you can't, RIGHT?
I can just see what it is going to look right in a few years. We have just had ours 3 months now is very noticeable.
fla hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 03:57 PM   #5
judyuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5363
We are also getting scratches in the counter-top on our Big Sky and we have small pock-marks. I'm wondering if it's a warranty issue. I don't remember seeing them when we did the PDI....is anyone else having a problem like this?
I have ordered a repair kit through Keystone but haven't received it yet as it's being mailed to the dealer. We may end up taking the unit in and letting them determine the problem with the counter-top.

Judy
judyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:10 AM   #6
gjetzen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7542
I have a 2005 3295rk with the composite counter tops which have the low luster finish, not like the high luster like is in the Big Sky. The very first "modification" I did was to put a very big scratch in the kitchen counter top. I have a friend who is a rep. for corian and he looked at it and told me that if it were real corian he would recommend to find the finest (gray color) scotch bright pad and with some household liquid cleaner like 409 as a lubricant, lightly buff the scratch in a strait line trying to follow the grain pattern. I tried it and it worked. Do not take this as gospel as a recommended fix it just worked for me.
gjetzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:18 AM   #7
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by judyuk

We are also getting scratches in the counter-top on our Big Sky and we have small pock-marks. I'm wondering if it's a warranty issue. I don't remember seeing them when we did the PDI....is anyone else having a problem like this?
I have ordered a repair kit through Keystone but haven't received it yet as it's being mailed to the dealer. We may end up taking the unit in and letting them determine the problem with the counter-top.

Judy
We also are finding lots of small scratches on the surface and are not happy about it. Is there any coating that can be put on the surface to make it harder to scratch?

Judy, let us know how the repair kit works for you.

Dick
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 04:29 AM   #8
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We are our maiden voyage and noticed that when taking the sink covers off and sliding it to the left that the bottom edge of each of the sink covers scratch the counter. As soon as we get to Savannah I am going to see about putting some rubber feet or something that doesn't scratch the counter on the lower edge of the lids. They won't sit flush if I do but they won't scratch either. I used to do tile work and worked on a lot of the Corian counter tops and they stood up to a bit more abuse before they scratch. There is also a product that is produced with granite dust and chips mixed with polyester resin and I think these are a similar product because when they are new they smell just like sanded fiberglass. Most of these products can be polished to remove scratches, it is just that I really don't relish the idea of having to "polish" counter tops in a brand new rig... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 04:48 AM   #9
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

We are our maiden voyage and noticed that when taking the sink covers off and sliding it to the left that the bottom edge of each of the sink covers scratch the counter. As soon as we get to Savannah I am going to see about putting some rubber feet or something that doesn't scratch the counter on the lower edge of the lids. They won't sit flush if I do but they won't scratch either. I used to do tile work and worked on a lot of the Corian counter tops and they stood up to a bit more abuse before they scratch. There is also a product that is produced with granite dust and chips mixed with polyester resin and I think these are a similar product because when they are new they smell just like sanded fiberglass. Most of these products can be polished to remove scratches, it is just that I really don't relish the idea of having to "polish" counter tops in a brand new rig... Dave and Betsy
Dave and Betsy, I used felt pieces on the back of the covers and they work great with out scratching the top surface.

Dick
Old 11-03-2007, 03:37 PM   #10
judyuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5363
I don't even use the covers. We use the sink all the time, so it was too much trouble to keep putting the covers on.
I'll let you know what the repair kit is when we get it and whether it's worth it. I believe the cost is around $27.

Judy

Judy
judyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 04:02 PM   #11
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by judyuk

I don't even use the covers. We use the sink all the time, so it was too much trouble to keep putting the covers on.
I'll let you know what the repair kit is when we get it and whether it's worth it. I believe the cost is around $27.

Judy

Judy
Judy we know that you really just love to do dishes all the time so don't use the covers
Old 11-03-2007, 06:02 PM   #12
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
We don't use the covers either - I got tired of moving them all the time. We also have small scratches that are irritating - looking forward to hearing about the repair kit.

Jo-Anna
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 06:18 PM   #13
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Sorry, I don't understand the problem. I do the dishes about 1/2 the time and haven't noticed scratches. I am aware that the counters are more fragile than a stick house counter would be, so we act accordingly.

About the only time the covers are into place is when we button up for travel or we have visitors come look us over. I think the counter's look is impressive.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 05:01 AM   #14
herrick51

M.O.C. #7735
We just took possession of a new 07 Big Sky and have been in it for about a week. I try to be careful with any countertop, but already have several scratches. I've had Corian countertops without any issues, so I'm not too happy with these countertops (although I did think they looked good when we purchaed the rig). I'd love to hear any successes/failures with removing the scratches.
herrick51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 05:31 AM   #15
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
One thing that also might work is Bar Keep, I use on my wifes high dollar pans and also in the granite sink. I would try a test spot out of the way first though. I believe these top's are actually made out of crushed granite, but when you look underneath it looks like blown fiberglass to me.
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 05:55 AM   #16
kwolff7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6687
I noticed a few scratches in ours when we were using it also. Would be interesting to find out if they changed the countertops in the new 10 year Anniversary Model. I am going to bet the countertops have changed because our countertops are not practical.
kwolff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:13 AM   #17
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Anyone not using their sink covers care to part with them?
Somehow our used 05 3670 didn't come with them. Original owner claimed he never had them. Our interior is Suede, counters are "tan", sink has two different size bowls with Moen Faucet. Wrong color might be acceptable.

My wife claims she wants them - thinks she needs more counter space...

Thanks!
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 11:18 AM   #18
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Anyone know of a "marketplace" for the Better Way Products "Lite-Gran" Counter tops? I would still like to please DW and get some sink covers.
The company website is strictly OEM oriented.
Thanks!
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 04:38 PM   #19
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Judy, did you receive a repair kit from keystone?

Our Big Sky is currently at a dealer in Vegas for Warranty work. We listed the scratches on our list for keystone and keystone denied warranty on that. David spoke to keystone and they said we should be careful (dah - of course we are careful). No repair kit was mentioned.

We will continue to be careful with our counter top but still would like to have ideas of how to remove them.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 04:59 PM   #20
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
From CORIAN.COM

"Removing Stains and Fixing Scratches or Burns

Nicks, scratches and cuts are inevitable with any high-use product, including Corian®. But because Corian® is solid all the way through, it is easy to renew to its original appearance as described below.

Minor damage, including scratches, general or chemical stains, scorches or burns, and minor impact marks, can be repaired on-site with a light abrasive cleanser and a product such as a Scotch-Brite* pad. For heavier damage, light sanding may be necessary. The following steps should be followed:

* Identify the extent of the damage and ascertain whether a minor repair will solve the problem. You may want to consult with your supplier of Corian®.
* If the damage is minor, try to repair it with an abrasive cleanser or a product such as a Scotch-Brite* pad.
* If the above step is unsuccessful, hand-sand with 400-grit wet and dry paper. To minimize dust, wet the surface before starting.
* If this is unsuccessful, use an electric sander and heavier-grit paper. Always make provisions to control dust.
* If this, too, is unsuccessful, you may need to consult a professional for other repair options. In this case, contact your supplier of Corian® for assistance.

*Scotch-Brite is a trademark of the 3M Company."

Don't you just love GOOGLE?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote