Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2007, 01:11 PM   #41
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Robbie, no offense taken. I really liked my Fords and came very close to buying the 2008 F350 so just have to stick up for the Fords, ya know. But I will say I am very impressed with this Cummins and the Dodge in general. Being a six banger I expected the low end grunt. But I also expected it to be a bit doggie on the high end. But no way. Maybe it has to do with the transmission doing a great job of keeping the engine within it's peak torque range. But, then, that torque range is flat from around 1400 to something like 2700 rpm. Towing at 70 mph on flat ground it's running just under 1800 rpm, same as when not towing, which tells me it's in 6th gear. Plus, I figured out I can hit the down button on the manual shift button and it immediately shows the gear the transmission is currently in. And that was 6th. What I'm trying to say is this thing takes hills like it was born and bred to do so and it doesn't seem to matter whether it's high speed or low. With six gears it is always within the strongest part of its torque band. My Ford was good but this one is awesome.

The transmission is very smooth when not towing. Shifts are perceptible if you're paying attention. When towing the shifts are firmer but not even close to harsh. It's quick to downshift in tow/haul going downgrade and will downshift two or three gears in quick succession if needed, as we did on some of those downgrades last week. It does so very quickly without first gaining more than a couple of miles per hour. A few times when towing downhill with the exhaust brake on I've had to give it a little throttle because it was slowing me down too much. And these were not shallow downgrades, either.

Last Sunday we had the pleasure of meeting H. John Kohl and his lovely wife Ann. We all went to dinner in our new Dodge. John has a Dodge and had read my comments about getting scratch off the line so asked me if I'd demonstrate. What I learned is with two of us in front and two in back, it doesn't get any scratch. It just jumps off the line and goes. I guess the extra weight made a difference. With just two of us it will spin both rear wheels (limited slip axle).

Redline, by the way, is 3200 rpm. The exhaust brake is excellent. I even use it on downgrades when not towing, in mountainus areas.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 02:45 PM   #42
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Steve,

I know. I'm so excited every time I get to drive my Dodge truck too. Every time I get in to drive, I feel like a kid with a brand new bicycle.

Fords are good trucks, Chevys are nice too, but these new Dodge trucks are awesome...! I always like the way Ford and Chevy owners say things like they don't like Dodges but never really give a good reason other than they've always driven either a Ford or Chevy....just let them, it will keep the price down on my next truck.. I've owned both Chevys and Fords, not for towing, but just as a pickup. Neither of those was in the same class as my new truck.

Yep, the Jacob exhaust brakes are wonderful. Followed a Duramax uphill on the way to the Shasta rally, had to use the exhaust brake going uphill to keep from running over him! Kept having to drop the RPM to follow...In MY Humble Opinion, it just doesn't get any better than the Dodge/Cummins combo.

Without giving a logical reason, someday I'll close my mind; I'll only buy a Dodge without trying any other brand, will probably not even want to discuss the positives or negatives of the SOB’s.

Maybe I will someday, but not today.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote