Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2006, 05:17 PM   #1
The Wind
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4200
I-75 thru Atlanta

I will be coming up from Daytona, Fla. to Eastern Atlanta to Stone Mountain. Any info on the road conditions? I will be taking the Belt-way around Atlanta. Any road construction that I should avoid? Thanks, Richard

The Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 02:56 AM   #2
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Wind,

I'm sure you are aware that you take the I-185 around to the east to go out to Stone Mountain. Last time we were on that route there was some construction around the Airport area, but no significant delay--still the best route. Look for the 78 "Stone Mountain Freeway" exit in the far right lane and you are on your way to the mountain.

Local drivers make I-285 a raceway, so just keep moving and stay in center lanes until nearing Stone Mountain exit.

We have stayed there many times over the years, and always enjoy it. Many of the sites are unlevel--some really unlevel, so if you have a choice it might pay to look around before settling down. I say "if you have a choice" because they are often near full.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 05:36 AM   #3
foggyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1351
Hi We found a way around Atlanta last year that we will use every year from now on. It is RT11 from Macon to Braselton/pendergrass off 85. Did it twice and found it a whole lot more pleasant than 85, 75, or the by-pass. But how hard is that? Son lives in Pendergrass so we are thru there twice a year and were looking for a good way around Atlanta. Dan
foggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 11:52 AM   #4
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
The alanta bypass is a speedway and 4-5 lanes try to exit the same one lane exit. Alow your self plenty of space to stop. We were almost hit trying to stop for all those jokers trying to get off at one exit and stopped 5 lanes of traffic on the beltway. If there is a way around Atlanta without going on their beltway, take it.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 04:52 AM   #5
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Time of day makes a big difference...Atlanta, Dallas, Los Angeles, any "BIG" city. Try to use the Bypass routes after 10 AM and before 3PM, or after 6PM and before 5:30 AM.

I go to S.Calif every year around the Holidays, and will "hole up" somewhere so as to enter the area (Riverside / Redlands) after 10AM. Takes me about 2 hours to get from there to Seal Beach, with the rig, that time of day. I have taken as long as 4 hours for the same trip, car only, during rush hour (Don't ask....terrible judgement on my part...didn't know HOW bad it really can be)

Safe Travels!!
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 05:52 AM   #6
rogersuemegan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3579
Send a message via AIM to rogersuemegan
We go threw there twice a year, going to and from FL. We have found that we just camp for the night about 20-30 miles on either side of Atlanta, enjoy a relaxing evening go to bed early and get up about 3AM to get threw there! It works for us and we don't have the stress of the traffic! Being retired also helps as we are not on any time line so we can set our own pace.
rogersuemegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:25 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Foggyb, thanks for the routing info. I save these tips for reference.

How about bypassing Atlanta coming from the west and wanting to head south out of Atlanta? Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 02:48 AM   #8
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Steve,

My comment to follow depends upon which "South" you might be taking.

IF you are going to continue on I-20>> I have pulled our fifth wheel across Atlanta on I-20 many times without any difficulty, at several different times of day and both ways: West to East and East to West. My route has always been only to and from I-285 on the East so no comment beyond that intersection.

IF you are taking I-75 South>> I have no experience, but I can see no really good alternative bypassing Atlanta. Maybe some one else with experience on this route can be more helpful.

I edit to say that IF you are coming from I-20 traveling to the East and wish to join I-75 South, there is a route with which I am familiar. That would be to take old US 80 just beyond Meridian, MS (near Cuba, AL) through Montgomery, AL and on to Macon, GA. I have towed our Montana on that exact route, even though I did not take I-75, but continued East.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:48 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Dave. Last time in the area we went through Atlanta. We hit it at a calm time but won't always be so fortunate.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 11:53 AM   #10
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
We go thru Atlanta several times a year and the last time was 4 weeks ago at 5 oclock rush hour. We stay on the 20 or 75 straight thru town and have very little traffic until we get to the by-pass and the traffic from the bypass is merging. Still not so bad though.
Trucks are not allowed except on bypass so it is better straight thru.
Just our opinion!
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 12:24 PM   #11
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
awaywego

Just to be sure my mind absorbed that correctly, the trucks are not allowed to take I 75 through midtown Atlanta,

but, you are, when towing??

Thanks for verifying
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 02:43 PM   #12
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Awaywego, you are so right, we go thru atlanta straight thru on I-75, it is even shorter then the by-pass, less traffic an no tractor trailers allowed, and carol we have always either towed, or went thru with motorcoaches, and no problem and we been going thru there for yrs. but I do think Atlanta is where they trained the nascar drivers!!LOL
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 02:55 PM   #13
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Thanks Tom
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 01:33 AM   #14
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Carol, my friend,

I have towed straight across Atlanta on I-20 many, many times and have never had any difficulty. Never even considered the possibility that my rig was forbidden. Even the "by-pass" has not been so bad. I just keep my speed at the speed limits and my eyes open.

Maybe I have just been lucky!

Just to be clear: I have never used the bypass to go "around" Atlanta, just to move from one route to another (e.g. from I-20 to connect with Stone Mt. freeway or I-85 East.)
Old 11-03-2006, 12:16 AM   #15
Sandi
Established Member

M.O.C. #4207
Agree totally with Awaywego! We always go straight through Atlanta and have never had any problems at all. There is always alot of traffic around any major city, but you do cut considerable time by not using the bypass. We did go through last year coming home around 5am and you would have thought we were going through the 4 corners of Hadley....loved it!!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:23 AM   #16
JohnAprilandMeagan
Established Member

M.O.C. #5303
Since I live in Atlanta thought I also suggest timing your trip through here, assuming you can, on a weekend. While it sounds like most of you have been fortunate in your travels through Atlanta either straight through or on the bypass sooner or later you might get caught in the worst traffic jam you have ever seen during the week. Weekends always seem to be very manageable. The traffic here at times can make a person crazy during the week.
JohnAprilandMeagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:29 PM   #17
Craig A
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6228
I've been straight through Atlanta several times with a trailer in tow. Commercial trucks are NOT allowed by RVers are. You can't go into the HOV lane because nothing over 6 wheels is allowed. That's the only way to go through Atlanta, just make sure it's not between 7-9 AM or 3-6 PM.
Craig A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 09:14 PM   #18
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Sandi, Hadley is a pretty busy place! It even has a stop sign.

We've driven straight through Atlanta during Friday afternoon rush hour. Don't recommend it! But I must say that the drivers, although in a hurry, were very courteous.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 02:57 AM   #19
chub
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #610
We always go straight thur Atlanta. It is shorter than the by-pass and we usually don't have any problems.
chub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 01:54 PM   #20
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Carol,
Just saw your post and yes RV's are allowed in town but as stated previously not comercial trucks.
Makes it nice when you are the biggest on the road they all go around you and you can just roll through.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote