Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2006, 11:12 AM   #21
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
McCulloch,

And don't ya know that a lawyer could use any discrepancy against you in any case where any rig that broaches the ratings might be involved.

That’s' what, (to me,) makes the ratings important. I just don't want to leave a door open for some asinine tort.

Steve

Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 11:16 AM   #22
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Gross Axle weight ratings are always higher than GVWR and that in itself is a safety margin.
But remember the whole package must fit. My 05 SRW has a 7000 pound rear axle rating but to get that I had to go with the 18" wheels that come with 275/70 18 inch tires that are rated for 3640 pounds. You will read posts by F250 owners with 17 inch tires that state their truck is the same as a SRW F350 even though they have 17 " tires that are rated far less than my 18s.

On the post above , asking if we can use after market parts to increase our GVWR this is the way it is.
After market parts can increase our handling and even our safety margin, but in the eyes of Ford and in the legal system that we live under, there is no real way to legally change your vehicles GVWR. That's why it is so important to get a TV that will handle your present and future needs or else prepare to get a new TV every time you go to a bigger RV.

Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 01:52 PM   #23
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
There is no way the manufacturers are putting a 20% or 1000 lb safety margin in the GVWR of these trucks. I am more familiar with the aircraft industry, where airframes must be able to withstand certain stresses before they are blessed by the FAA. I've got to believe these trucks meet similar criteria...but certainly no 'buffer.' Chevy, Dodge and Ford are going to put the absolutely highest GVWR they can on these trucks...the higher the GVWR the more weight the customer can haul and the more units they can sell.

Granted the heaviest GVWR of the F250 is 800 higher than the C2500HD (10000 to 9200), and that the frame is bigger. However, as customers, we are primarily concerned with cargo capacity. The F250 can only carry about 100 lbs more cargo than the C2500HD...and both meet the same criteria for 3/4 ton trucks. That tells me the F250 needs that big frame to carry all the extra weight (the extra 800 lbs). The 2500HD does not have that extra 800 to lug around, therefore does not need a bigger frame. Kind of a Catch 22.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 02:13 PM   #24
The_McCullochs
Established Member

M.O.C. #6068
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gyro

McCulloch,

And don't ya know that a lawyer could use any discrepancy against you in any case where any rig that broaches the ratings might be involved.

That’s' what, (to me,) makes the ratings important. I just don't want to leave a door open for some asinine tort.

Steve
Well, Steve, I'm far more concerned about Officious Idiots With Badges than I am about Shysters.
OIWBs are cruising the Highways and Byways in search of Revenue and I have no desire to provide them any unnecessarily. Shysters don't get into the Act until after an accident while a bored OIWB may pull someone over just "on spec". [They can make up any excuse that might "sound good" to their bosses.]

While our truck has a 23,000 Manufacturer's GCWR, according to the State of Texas its GCWR is its 12,000 GVWR + the GVWR(s) of whatever trailer(s) is/are attached.

Additionally, since many 5ers have GVWRs in excess of the 10,000 figure, I'd sure hate for some OIWB to be able to cite someone who was not aware of this issue.
The_McCullochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 02:29 PM   #25
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
McCulloch,

You have a point, there. I'd be likely to be pulled over just so they could ask me about the graphics. Met more than a few local PD and Sheriff folks down here, and that's come up. Right after I 'splained what the heck this Alaskan was doing, baking in Alabama's heat.

I wouldn't be worried about attracting an ambulance-chasing shyster, myself. But since all my accidents over the past three decades were due to yahoos hitting me, and not the other way around, I suspect that a shyster could still be drawn to the "flame," by someone wanting to extricate themselves from blame for their own bad behavior. (Something that seems rampant these days!)

If I'm within the limits of the truck and Monty, I'm guessing that if a Texas OIWB pulls me over, the judge associated with said "case" would have to be a idiot, as well to fine me.

But I wouldn't put it past one.

Dang. We're planning to winter in Texas, this year, too!

Steve
Old 07-23-2006, 03:54 PM   #26
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dean A Van Peursem

Ok, thanks for all the responses. There still is confusion as far as I see it. It has been stated more than once in this thread that Rear End Ratio has nothing to do with GVWR. Yet, TV manufacturers change their published GVWR with only a change in rear ends ratios used. That tells me we are not all singing out of the same hymnal.
Well the 05 Ford Super Duty brochure sitting in front of me has all the model GVWRs and no mention of rear end ratios. The combined ratings are different with different rear end ratios. I guess Ford is not singing out of the same hymnal as Dean. And what would Ford know, they only build the truck.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 05:16 PM   #27
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Well, Don, I got that impression from one of your messages. I must have misread your message. It appears that only GCVWR is impacted by rear end ratio not GVWR of the Tow Vehicle. Sorry for the error. That sure makes alot more sense to me.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 06:22 PM   #28
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
FYI, The State of Oregon also leaves their scales ON when they are closed. You can take your truck one day and weigh it everywhichway and take the 5W the next opportunity.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 06:31 PM   #29
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
MoBill,

Well, then. That pretty much alludes to the idea that more states will hold the same policies with their scales.

So when we’re actually on the road, and weighing what we will typically weigh, I can take it over to some state’s scales and find they’re left on. Then I can get the measurements that matter. I don’t wanna pull up stakes to visit a local scale until I actually have to pull up stakes. Did I mention that I’m lazy?

Hope springs eternal.

Thanks!

Steve
Old 07-23-2006, 06:35 PM   #30
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
mobilrvn:

That is good news as we will be traveling down I5 in Oregon later this week. Plan to spend 5 days in the Woodburn, OR RV park right next to all the Outlet Stores and also attend the Great Oregon Steamup in Brooks, OR. I suspect we will hit at least one scale that is closed coming or going so I'll probably stop in as usual for a quick weigh-in. If we have time I might be able to disconnect and get a hard reading on pin weight. Anyone else going to be in the area?
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 12:18 PM   #31
Montana_6029

M.O.C. #6029
I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but can someone explain the following. 06 2500HD Crew cab short box D/A on the door states 9200 GVW. The vehicle weighs around 6600 pounds. The book states you can pull a trailer of 12,000 with a max GCWR of 22,000 pounds. So if you take 12,000 and add 9,200 you come up with 21,200 not 22,000. Maximum kingpin weight can't exceed 3,300 pounds. So you have a truck that weighs 6600 plus 3300 =9900, 700 over GVW. Where did the extra 700-800 pounds come from?
Montana_6029 is offline   Reply With Quote