Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2006, 07:08 PM   #1
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Propane Leak

We have been smelling a faint propane odor when we opened the propane storage door on the curb side. We got some spray to look for the leak and it started bubbling up right where the cross over pipe enters the storage area and attaches to the hook up tubing. I know my terminology is probably not correct, but you will get the drift. That rigid pipe was riding right up against the metal opening. We were taking the rig into have it serviced (wheel bearings packed etc) so we turned off the gas and had them check it. The pipe evidently had a hole in it from rubbing on the metal opening. We had thought it was just at the connection. They replaced the pipe and adjusted the support so it rides in the center of the opening. It was a very expensive fix!! ($300) They couldn't adjust the other side, which is also riding against the metal opening, so here is hoping it doesn't develop a leak also. I am glad it was fixable.

Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:04 PM   #2
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
I'm surprised the 7' black steel gas pipe would get a hole rubbed into it. Good thing you found it. Thanks for letting us know, something we all can watch for. $ 300 sounds like a bit much, but better then the what if......
J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 08:48 AM   #3
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Myrna,
Thanks for the info. I bet a whole bunch of Montana's got inspected today. We're sure glad you found this when you did.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 09:15 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Just checked our brand new 3400 andthe Gas pipe is right up against the metal frame on both sides and there is no moving it at all.I suppose you could cut a chunk out of the metal frame? there is no adjustmet that plate is is welded in place. You would think it would take years of movement to wear a hole in that pipe...poor design..or workmanship..or both.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 10:26 AM   #5
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
We have an 04 3670 and it was leaking also. We moved the brackets that hold the pipe in the front storage compartment. Also changed the fitting. Couldn't see anything wrong with the pipe but was concerned about the fitting. So far no more leaks.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote