Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2005, 04:11 AM   #1
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Electrical Problem on older 2850RK w/30 amp serv.

After each trip I always plug in the Monty beside the house for preventive maintenance.

When I plugged the 30a powerline to my house ground fault plug, my House CB tripped. Several trys had the same result. So I put a ground buster on the power cord and tried again. It worked ok so I wrongly assumed my ground fault breaker was going bad. Wrong!!

Later when I started work I remembered that the house Ground fault breaker will trip when the resistance along the lines is less than 100 ohm between common and ground. So I checked the trailer and found I had a short between common and ground. Now I knew the trailer was the problem.

For the 2850 the kitchen drawers to the right of the sink were removed which exposed the electrical junction box on the floor. Shore power is routed through this box.

I removed the junction box cover and every wire was burnt and the twist locks were melted. I cut all the wires back to remove the burnt portion and installed new twist locks.

The number 12 wire coming out of the junction box was routed through a hole in the back wall to the converter. The wire had rubbed on the wall opening to the point of exposing the insulation and also exposed the copper wires for all three wires. It was obvious that heat was generated at that point because the insulation had melted hold the wires close together. This was probably the route cause of the problem. I seperated them, cleaned, and taped them.

There was a gromet in the hole to prevent this rubbing but it just didn't do the job.

Prior to this incident I did not have a clue something was wrong on the road. All systems worked.

I was fortunate not to have any flamables next to the hidden electrical box or the exposed wires.

lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote