Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2005, 04:58 PM   #1
Wagonmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3754
Class distinction?

Do you think there is a class distinction between the people who rv in different modes of transportion? It seems I have notice some to a certain extent in other forums. Like from class A motorhomes to popups and everything in between. I for one have had everything from a popup to tt to a couple 5ers. To me a person is judged on his or hers personality not his rv. We don't have that because we all own the same product( just our spelling) just kidding... Jack

Wagonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 07:43 PM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Did you know that some of the RV parks only allow Class A motorhomes?
Talk about class distinction! In fact a lot of the Outdoor Resort campgrounds are Class A only. Guess we don't have it folks.
Happy trails..........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 10:46 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Human beings have been trying to one-up each other to ease their insecurity and make themselves feel superior to others since time began. It won't change in the future. Only individuals will make the effort to outgrow that kind of childishness or come to the realization that the ground is really level. You are born nude and there are no U-Hauls behind hearses. All that is in between is very, very temporary.

I feel happy for those who can afford something more expensive than I. I enjoy more than I really deserve anyway. Learning to see life, opportunity, and possessions as gifts (unearned or deserved)rather than due to me can open my mind and heart to gratitude, a far, far better emotion than resentment, or feeling deprived.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 11:09 PM   #4
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Stiles, excellent comments,
We try to be outdoors as much as possible. So, I don't feel any different than the next guy. We too started with a large topper and slept on the p-up bed, then moved to a pickup camper, and then to a fifth wheel. We haven't really changed our attitudes, we just have a nicer place to lay my head when I go to sleep at night. To us camping is about being outdoors and doing things outside the camper.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 11:17 PM   #5
Montana_440
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #440
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wagonmaster

Do you think there is a class distinction between the people who rv in different modes of transportion? It seems I have notice some to a certain extent in other forums. Like from class A motorhomes to popups and everything in between. I for one have had everything from a popup to tt to a couple 5ers. To me a person is judged on his or hers personality not his rv. We don't have that because we all own the same product( just our spelling) just kidding... Jack
There's class distinction between rich/poor pretty/ugly drinkers/non drinkers.....fat/thin....top brand RVs/other RVs.The list is never ending & will always be there.Humans are a lot about one upping.Too bad, but thats life.
Montana_440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 02:33 AM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Parrothead, there is a park in Traverse City, MI that has strict limitations~

•••Maximum of two pets are allowed per site and are subject to park rules
•••RV's are restricted to Class A & C Motorhomes, Fifth Wheels, & Travel Trailers
•••RV's must have a minimum length of 24' and be 10 years or newer
•••Campfires are prohibited on individual sites

The rates are $45/wkend, $39/wk. $5 per person over two in site. Whopping 10% off for 30 day rentals. You can purchase a spot for "attractive pricing starting at $50,000". This is the first time I have seen this but I know there must be other places with age/length/type restrictions that serve just the upper, upper class. Just curious... any other spots where I can walk around with my nose up in the air, too? Not that I would ever go there, I guess.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 04:12 AM   #7
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Yes, humans waste a lot of time, especially when they are young, trying to "outdo" one another. I attended my 45th class reunion this year, and more than one person expressed the thought that at our age, no one cares any more about the superficial and we were all able to sit down and just enjoy visiting. I've noticed that with age, most of us get down to appreciating the real treasures of life - health, family, friends, all else is just frosting on the cake. They can keep their Class A resorts - don't need all the fancy trappings to enjoy the world around us.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 06:42 AM   #8
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
A Montana fifth wheel is so much more RV than we ever dreamt of owning that I can only be thankful. Even then, it is only a means of getting around to see family and friends and God's beautiful creation. It's the days that God give us that is the true gift.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 06:55 AM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Most people spend their lives trying to keep up with the Jones' only to find out in the end that Jonesie was trying to keep up with them.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 07:19 AM   #10
tollmann
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1824
We have friends that own a LARGE class A. Everytime they come into our Monty the wife says something like "I wish ours had one one those or I wish ours had this much room". He says he would like the mileage that I get when towing. However I would like to be able to level automatically and etc. I guess everything is a trade off. Neither of us would trade what we have for what the other has. Look at what you have and be happy with it.
tollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 11:28 AM   #11
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
We have discussed Class A several times - and some of them are very nice - but we keep coming back to loving our Monty. We also have experienced Class A owners envying us the size and layout.

BTW some of the resorts that insist on Class A have more to do with local council planning permits than the desire for "upper crust" units only.
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 11:29 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Hummm. Never really ran into much of that..Have seen campgrounds that did not allow tents on RV sites but had a seperate area for them.We also did the tent/pop-up, TT and soon Fifth wheel..Don't feel any different except a lot older. Actually I wanted a motorHome, A nice diesel pusher, But Helen Thought a fifth wheel made more sense and She was, AS ALWAYS, right ...never thought about the status thing....Maybe we had better trade in our Honda's for a BMW????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 02:28 PM   #13
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
I agree with Fordzilla! Camping is being outdoors with friends around a campfire. Thanks RON! We've camped with the Rosewalls many times and enjoy their companionship!
SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 03:36 PM   #14
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
We started off with old, used, but well loved, small TTs and now by the grace of God have been able to afford our Montana. There are folks who look down their noses at other types of rigs. My only requirements are that they respect themselves, others, our wonderful resources, and life. All that said, I must say I really enjoy a park with well maintained rigs in it, but they don't have to be new or big.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 06:28 PM   #15
dersequim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #549
When we started camping in the70's, everyone was fairly equal in what they had. Very few 5'ers, some small motorhomes and an Airstream was the Cadillac of the industry. Bluebirds were Top-of-the-line.
Everyone was friendly, most of the time the kids got you together. I remeber my first encounter with a Prevost, pulling a trailer with a Old's 98 on it. They ingored our trailer and us like was were TRAILER TRASH. That was when Beachwood at Birch Bay was first selling lots. I find now that some of those who have the Highend Bus type MH are still that way.
dersequim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 05:27 AM   #16
Montana_4454
Established Member

M.O.C. #4454
Heck i finally caught up with the Jone's and darned if they didn't re-finance
Henry
Montana_4454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 04:54 PM   #17
Montana_4391
Established Member

M.O.C. #4391
One of the problems with "class distinction" is that there is always someone somewhere one up on you. Take RV's for example...
If you followed the class distinction theory, then travel trailer folks are "better" than tent campers. And fifth wheel owners are "better" than travel trailers. And Class C folks are "better" still. And finally the Class A folks are at the top of the list.

Or are they? If you talk to a tent camper, he will tell you of places you can't see with your Class A, He'll tell you about all the money he saves using his tent, and the experiences that he alone has seen.

So who really wins in this war anyway?
Montana_4391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 05:41 PM   #18
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
ak traveler
I so totally agree with you. Some of the things we talked about it campground ettiquette was tent camping. I think we had more manners and savoy than a lot of the "Class A's". We were parked next to a big $400,000+ motor home one time. They were going to live in it while they had a beach house built. The motorhome was brand new. The guy came over and asked Ed about the black tank dumping (their's had a warning signal when it was full", so Ed explained what to do and the guy said "You are kidding aren't you". The next day they told us they were renting a house in the area and selling the motorhome.
Happy trails..........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 06:11 PM   #19
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Ed probably lost him when he started explaining about putting on the rubber gloves!!
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 04:57 AM   #20
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Wow, Sue, that guy sure was living on a different budget than we are. Throwing away a $400,000 motorhome because he didn't want to empty a a black tank is beyond me. But then I'd never buy one anyway, even if I could. We've talked to so many people who are looking at fifth wheels because they've found out that the motorhomes cost too much to maintain.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote