Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
paddler67
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9444
heat loss

we have an 07 5ver 3295 and wanted to know if anyone has insulated their main heat line that runs down the center of the trailer? is there any reason to insulate or not to insulate?
thanks.

paddler67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I don't know how you would get access to do that. There composite sheet on wood on top of the frame, the heat run is on top of this and then the floor
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Even if you could accomplish it, you probably wouldn't want to. They use the heat escaping from the ducts to keep the water lines and to a certain extent the tanks from freezing. It also provides heat in the basement. In my case I even drilled two quarter sized holes in the duct where it passes thru the basement to let a little extra heat out there.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:16 PM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
No, as stated I don't think you can get to it. I use the hot water in the bathroom to brush my teeth and then shave. By the time it gets warm I am ready to step into the shower. It does not waist water when dry camping.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:04 AM   #5
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

No, as stated I don't think you can get to it. I use the hot water in the bathroom to brush my teeth and then shave. By the time it gets warm I am ready to step into the shower. It does not waist water when dry camping.
Good idea!
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:05 AM   #6
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

Good idea!
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #7
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
Put me as one that does insulate the floor and heat duct. Of course I can't do the whole run of heat duct. Only in the storage compartment. I first use HVAC aluminum tape and tape the seams of the duct. Again only in storage area. Then I use R Max +3 ridgid R5 insulation. I then remove the wall panels and cut to fit into the squares of aluminum insulation. I try to fit everything as tight as I can. Around plumbing is a little tedious and some spray foam has to be used.
We spend 3 months of the winter in Gulf Shores, AL. It sometimes gets into the 30s and I believe the time spent is well worth it. This is my 3rd 5th wheel to do this and I'm convinced it helps. I really don't care if it gets freezing in my storage compartment. If I lived up north I'm not sure I would do this. Living in Alabama with tempertures seldom getting below 20.
Also with insulated floor right below bedroom makes furnace noise less.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Two things about that. First some of us have water lines running thru the basement for the washer and dryer. Second, unless you insulate the plastic wall behind your convenience panel the only thing between the basement and your under the stairs return air will be a cardboard thin piece of plastic. At least that's how it is in our Monty. Now if you insulate that wall and don't have water lines, then you've got something.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #9
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
I do have the water lines plumbed for a washer/dryer that goes through the storage area. I insulate them and living in Alabama there is enough heat loss through the floor to keep pipes from freezing. On the rare occasion it is to get into teens I would put a small heater in basement.
Behind the convenience panel is OSB that goes all the way across the devide between storage and return air space. There are some spaces that need filling above the OSB.
Another advantage of insulating duct is in summer. When the storage reaches above 100 in summer, that temperature is absorbed into duct and radiates out registers.
I understand the need to heat under the camper for water lines and tanks but it isn't done very efficiently. Every time the heat comes on the blower runs for several seconds before the burner lights. All that cold air in the basement is blown right into living space.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
Old 11-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #10
paddler67
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9444
good information on the pros and cons of insulating the basement area.

psomers- how did you get the insulation to stick to the floor?

i'm going to insulate with the hope of capturing some of the lost heat. we spent the winter in florida and go north west in the summer so i'm not that worried about freezing pipes. if pipes freeze i will remove some insulation. i will put a tempture gauge near the water pipes in the basement to check the temp.
thanks for your help.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:42 AM   #11
paddler67
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9444
i put a thermometer near the water pipes in the base of our 07 3295rk last night and the lowest the temp got in the basement was 50F so i'm thinking i can save some of that heat by insulation. the temp. got to 29F last night.
thanks
Old 11-09-2012, 05:19 AM   #12
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by paddler67

good information on the pros and cons of insulating the basement area.

psomers- how did you get the insulation to stick to the floor?

i'm going to insulate with the hope of capturing some of the lost heat. we spent the winter in florida and go north west in the summer so i'm not that worried about freezing pipes. if pipes freeze i will remove some insulation. i will put a tempture gauge near the water pipes in the basement to check the temp.
thanks for your help.
I used Loctite/PL PREMIUM construction adhesive. If you cut the ridgid foam close enough it will almost stay in place with out the adhesive.
We spend Jan through Mar in Gulf Shores,AL. I walk almost every morning and almost every one in camp ground is heating with electric.
I've seen out side hoses freeze but never inside. That is with no heat in storage from furnace at all.
Again I don't recommend this for our northern neighbors.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax