Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2009, 04:40 PM   #1
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Not all pull throughs created equal

Yep, we are finally on the road for a bit, here is today's story,

http://reflectionsfromthefence.blogspot.com/2009/07/not-all-pull-through-sites-are-created.html

Lordy, it is great to be on the road!!!!

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:14 PM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Thanks for the great story Carol. I like your positive attitude.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:29 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I guess I should not have complained that my site was too long and the hookups were too far apart. A campsite with angry trees is definitely worse.

And the expression is, "you were able to live to tell the tale"...
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:47 PM   #4
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
I usually choose the easiest sites but as you said, “not all sites are created equal.” After several years of towing I find that a site can be judged pretty good before pulling into it. Sometimes though, you may just have to find another spot.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:25 AM   #5
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Yeah, Carol we can relate. What's with the trees on either side? Did they ever hear of slide-outs? While we don't want to be in a parking lot type of campground with no trees, we've been to a few that have trees strategically placed where you don't want them! If only the sites were all designed for the different models of Montanas. Wouldn't that be great! In any event, I'm glad you can find humor in the situation. It's what keeps it all worthwhile and enjoyable.

Nita
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 03:27 AM   #6
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We do all we can not to have trees around us. I have found tree can cause more damage than they are worth. I have seen so much damage from tree to RV's and in most cases the trees win. And the Satellite dishes doesn't like trees. But like Carol said you have to be positive, thing do get better. As for RVing we have hitch itch very bad. Can't wait until our next trip. Oh yes we live in the woods and have many trees, but we are going to have several more cut and cleared around the back of the house. GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:06 AM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
This was a NO pick, we assign campground. We chose 50 AMP and away from playground and full hookup and pull thru vs backin. They assigned the site, no switching.

What I neglected to write in the blog was that both Al and I had hit our heads HARD at the ewwwwwwwww dump. Did not help, eh??? I have a headache, no blood. Al has headache and 3 nasty raw spots on his noggin, cause he also hit it again once we got here.

LONG day!!

But, we both slept good!

Thank ya all for reading!
Old 07-25-2009, 05:09 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ah yes..the joy of Rv'ing. We had to have the owner of a CG in Colorado come over with a chain saw to cut away a branch before we could get out..after we had got in???? He said..pull out you will miss it.. I said ..and if we don't you will pay right..he got the chain saw.. No all pull throughs are not created equal.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 05:29 AM   #9
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
SIGHHH

Follow up blog:

http://reflectionsfromthefence.blogspot.com/2009/07/three-headaches.html

Now, as soon as the storm passes, I could use a long walk!
Old 07-25-2009, 05:33 AM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Carol,
Arrgh! "Man" be smart. Him let woman drive Big Butt so if window break it her fault! Arrgh! Man be smart.

Oh! And your web site is very nice. Good job - both at it and driving "at fault" truck.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:06 AM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
The main thing is other than a few problems, Are you guys having fun?
Old 07-25-2009, 06:57 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carol, you didn't have nosy neighbors all outside watching your travails? That's what usually happens to me. As for trees in the way of slides, I don't know how many times we've had to maneuver so a tree is between slides. My handy dandy 42-or-so-inch pocket tape measure gets lots of use. I'm glad to hear you're back on the road and having a good time. I like your writeup. Very humorous despite the frustrations. Good job.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:30 AM   #13
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Trailer Trash 2, YES, it is great to be out in Tana

Steve, actually a nice dude who is parked nearby in a Mountaineer TT came out and helped Al! Or at least watched, I was driving, so, not sure how much "HELP" the friendly dude was! And, yes, 42 inches did get measured for the main slide, and we actually had to reposition Tana once so we would clear the electric pole AND the bush at the back of the same slide. SIGHHH

Waynem, nope, if that window had broken it would have been MAN's problem. You would have heard the moaning all the way to TX I believe!
Old 07-25-2009, 09:04 AM   #14
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Mrs.CountryGuy.
Just a quick note for measuring your slides, I did this and it does help a lot. I took my awning pole you know the 1/4" piece of roled steel and when the slide was open I took a piece of duct tape and placed the bent end agenst the Monty and then went to the wideist slid and added a 1 " to 1- 1/2" beyond the slide and rapped the tape around the pull rod, then when ever I went to a CG that was questionable, in can I open the slide, or will it hit? I just put the pole up on the wall and eyeball the tape and get my answer. I got tired of looking for my many tapes, and where did I leave it last, the pole is always in it's spot for travel.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:46 PM   #15
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Don, that is a great hint!!

Al carries a small rule in his pocket, it was his father's, he probably has it with him 97% of the time.

One noteable time he did not have it, was when he left it in the recliner belonging to John Bozarth! John being a good friend, mailed to back to Al.

One other little trick for these skinny campsites, is to actually KNOW how deep your slides are. We measured them all, wrote em down and that piece of paper is on the inside of one of the cabinet doors closest to entry door. I knew I would never remember those numbers, and wanted them where I could ALWAYS get at them. Yep, I have referred to that sheet of paper a few times over the years!

We had a great afternoon, weather got NICE NICE NICE and we had lunch in a family restaurant, and then went and visited some family. Had a wonderful visit, then a nice walk around the campground.

Yep, great to be out and about, washer/dryer or not! headaches and all
Old 07-26-2009, 02:45 AM   #16
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Reminds me of the time in 2000 before we began full timing. We called ahead to a park in the Door County (Wisconsin) area for reservations, and they assurred us that there would be no problem parking our rig.

When we got there, the site was about 85 feet long, plenty long enough to put our rig in, however, it was not a pull through. We had to back in. Now, consider this: The road (trail) in front of the row of sites was just barely wide enough to get RVs through. There were trees on both sides of the road, with more trees on the side of the road opposite the sites (no sites on that side of the road). At the entrance to the site were three small trees on both side of the entry.

No matter what I did, I could not get the rig into that site! The management ridiculed me saying, "There has never been any problem with people getting into that site." That was the only place we've ever been that I couldn't put this 36' rig into. They gave me my money back except for my $35 reservation deposit.

We have since had parks tell us just how their sites are laid out before we ever put down any deposit money!
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote