Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-29-2008, 04:24 AM   #1
bolinski
Established Member

M.O.C. #8006
FRONT JACK FUSE

Heading to Ocala Silver River state park Sunday for first trip---finally!!!! There was a thread that I can't find now that concerned me and I want to be prepared in case it happens. It had to do with replacing the fuse for the front jacks. I have a 2006 3500 rl and want to know if anyone knows where the fuse is for the front jacks and what size is it. Trailer is at tire store right now getting all new rib tires but I want to be prepared as much as possible.

If anyone can help I would be most appreciative.

bolinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:06 AM   #2
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bolinski

Heading to Ocala Silver River state park Sunday for first trip---finally!!!! There was a thread that I can't find now that concerned me and I want to be prepared in case it happens. It had to do with replacing the fuse for the front jacks. I have a 2006 3500 rl and want to know if anyone knows where the fuse is for the front jacks and what size is it. Trailer is at tire store right now getting all new rib tires but I want to be prepared as much as possible.

If anyone can help I would be most appreciative.
Here ya go Jeff! I don't know if it will answer your questions but here's the recent link.
http://montanaadministrator.forumco.com/
topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27193&SearchTerms=,
Front,Jack,fuse

Here's another!
http://montanaadministrator.forumco.com/
topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27128&SearchTerms=,
jack,fuse
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:25 AM   #3
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
I blew mine not long ago. Mine was on the right side in the front compartment, near the landing gear motor. It was in a black plastic fuse holder, 30amp fuse. Too much load on the landing gear motor will blow the fuse quick. I ran mine up to far. I was hooking up at the dealer after some work was completed. They must have lower the gear some while it was there. I was able to hook on, but when I went to raise the gear it stopped.The gear was not going up all the way to put the weight on the truck. Lowered and raised again and thats when I raised them too far. Pop goes the fuse. Now I am stuck. Lucky I was at the dealer. Replaced fuse, gear worked, but I damaged the right gear in the process. So 1 hour later I was on the road. Lucky I was at the dealer, as they needed a fork lift to get the trailer off the truck, to repair the landing gear.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:00 AM   #4
bolinski
Established Member

M.O.C. #8006
Thanks folks---- sorry but another question--just got back to the house after getting the ribs put on and I noticed that the trailer bubble was showing level side to side-then after I un-hooked(truck bed then comes up pretty good) it went catty-wampis. Should I extend the front jacks a little more to take weight off of the truck then unhook so it maintains the same level?
Old 02-29-2008, 07:05 AM   #5
bolinski
Established Member

M.O.C. #8006
Ok- found the fuse near the battery box in front compartment. At least that problem won't throw me but I am sure that there are others waiting. Can't wait till Sunday. By the way tire dealer said he had just had another 5th wheeler in last week with a shredded Mission Tire that did damage to the guy's trailer--so I am feeling much better about spending the $ for the ribs.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:39 AM   #6
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
bolinski, I have never had a problem with blowing the landing jack fuse (YET!) but I was at the montana dealer yesterday just nosing around and I did ask the guy about the causes of blowing the fuse. He said that its caused mostly by raising the jacks to high and also by "reversing" the motor all of a sudden. I have a level inside the compartment that I can tell how high the front should be raised, and I also every time I set up use 6x8 wood blocks under the legs, always I use one under each, and if the level tells me I will need to go higher I will use two blocks under each leg. I think the trailer is more stable with the blocks then to just have the legs extended so far. just my thoughts and has always worked for me. the thickness of the blocks are 6x8 inches
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:58 AM   #7
bolinski
Established Member

M.O.C. #8006
The darn bubble was showing level when I was still hitched-then when I un-hitched it went catty wampis--I guess it just might be that my side yard is not that well compacted and it settled catty wampis. Oh well we'll see if it happens when I set up at a regular campsite which should be more compacted. I was thinking that I should put the front jacks down a little more until I see the truck start to come up just a little so that the weight of the trailer will be more on the jacks and then see if there is some settlement before I un-hook.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:33 AM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Did you place a block of wood or other item under the front foot pads before you raised the 5er? (2x12, 4x8 or something substantive like cinder block) By doing so will give you more surface area and less settlement.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:56 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bolinski, I think I'm confused. You said the trailer showed level on the bubble while still hitched up. Then you raised the nose of the trailer to lift it off the hitch. That naturally makes the trailer nose-high, or off level. After pulling the truck out from under, you have to drop the nose again to the point where it is again level. Sorry if I'm being dense but I must be missing something?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:36 PM   #10
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Bolinski you never want to lift your truck with the trailer jacks. You will surely blow that fuse! I raise the pin about 1/4 inch off the hitch. but only after I have blocked the wheels and put my 6x8 blocks under the legs.
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 03:43 AM   #11
bolinski
Established Member

M.O.C. #8006
Ok folks I think I know what you are saying---- To clarify--yes I do and did put blocks( 1 foot by 1 foot square 2x 10's)under the front stands before unhooking. I think that my yard in just too spongy and not compacted. The bubble was reading level from side to side after I lowered the stands, then after I raised it just enough to un-hook and un-hooked the truck it settled catty wampis-slides still came out but I am not happy with my set-up abilities. Maybe practice will help.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:18 PM   #12
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
bolinski - I think the going off-level after unhooking is a fairly common problem that most of us have experienced at one time or another. It usually occurs when I have backed into a space and was not exactly lined up in a straight line (truck & 5th wheel not exactly straight). This puts a bit of sideways tension on the RV axles & can cause the RV to shift somewhat off level when you unhook. If it's too much for me to live with I hook up again, this time lined up with the 5er, & pull straight forward a couple of feet, then back to my original spot. If it's not level I adjust with blocks under the appropriate wheel(s) until it is right, then unhook. I've never had it go off-level after doing the foregoing straightening procedure. Of course if you have one landing leg on some really mushy ground that might cause some sinking on that side, but you can usually tell ahead of time by watching the level as you raise the RV up off the hitch. mike
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote