Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2007, 11:53 AM   #1
borfaloo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5608
Superglide 18k hitch questions

Hey all,

We were out for the first time this week with the new TV and hitch. We got a superglide 18k hitch. While the hitch pulled well we found that unhitching was to say the least a challenge. We knew the tolerance of 16 degrees from center and were ready for that. We were not ready for the hitch needing to be absolutely level side to side..we needed lynx levelers underneath one of the wheels on the TV. Is this the level of tolerance I should expect from the hitch, will it 'break in' and become more tolerant or should I get the whole thing looked at.

Kind of lost on this one so I am looking forward to your help.

Sean

borfaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 12:07 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
The trick is to place wheel chocks behind the trailer wheels and back into them. Set the brake and place in park. The lever should pull out with absolutely no strain.

I pulled my Monty for a year before stopping at the Pullrite plant. It was there that I finally learned how to unhitch without a hitch (pun intended).

The rig need not be level side to side unless you can live in an unlevel rig. You actually can unhitch from up to a 90 degree angle but not in the conventional way. Simply pull the 2 pins that hold the plate to the hitch and raise the front jacks until it is clear of the hitch and pull the TV away
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 02:42 PM   #3
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Like Glenn said, make sure you have the wheel chocks in place and back into them. That releases the pressure on the hitch so it will disconnect.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 03:16 PM   #4
borfaloo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5608
Guys,

Thank you so much for the help.I will absolutely make sure we back onto the chocks next time out.The Super glide is an amazing hitch even with my attempts to amuse an entire State park I do not think I would switch to another brand. It pulled really well over White Pass in WA state and once I got used of the new TV I really loved it.

If you are ever in Tri-Cites I will spring for dinner for ya.

Thanks

Sean & Susan
borfaloo is offline   Reply With Quote