Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2006, 01:28 AM   #1
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
Before moving checklist

I have the 2003 3670RL and have been looking for a good checklist before moving it. Have not found any yet. Has anybody come up with a good one? We bought this one in July, and are about to be fulltimers. Currently living in the montana in our aircraft hanger. No house since July. Glad with that move! Love the Montana! Almost ready to move South for the winter!

Montana Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 01:04 AM   #2
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I will assume that you mean a checklist to be used each time you set up for move/travel. That has been addressed several times over the years in this forum. I will take this opportunity to say a bit more about my own philosophy regarding checklists:

Some are so extensive and detailed that I would not find them practical, but in order to be of value a checklist must cover the essentials. I have developed a fairly simply one page checklist/log which I have shared before on this forum. I use an Excel spreadsheet which makes the checklist almost infinitely adjustable as you discover what can be left off and what must be added. I find the connection of the checklist with the log to be extremely valuable.

As I have said before, I use the checklist only for set up before travel. I have never found one necessary for set up after arrival at a campsite.

The following is a copy of one of my previous posts:

I use a checklist on one side of an 8.5 X 11 inch page and a log on the other. If you want to take a look at it, I have an Excel spreadsheet which you can modify at will. One side is "sheet 1" the other side is "sheet 2". Click the link below to see or download this spreadsheet file:

http://dwilliamson.com/RVchecklist.xls

If you'd prefer to look at a PDF file:

http://dwilliamson.com/rvcheck.pdf

padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 02:42 AM   #3
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
David & Shirley, thanks for posting your check-off list. (I have one for preparing our TT/getting ready to go since we are not full-timers.)

I hope you don't mind but I "borrowed" your list and copy/pasted it in Word, which only shows it as a list but that works fine for us. I did add to it - turn off hot water heater as we need to remember turn to that on/off each time we use our TT.
Wannabe Full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 04:01 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Dave's list is a good one.

He won't mind if I contradict him just a bit - - - -

I agree, for arrival you don't need much of a check list, as you ARE going to get out the water hose and the power cords, etc. BUT, maybe just a really short list might be helpful:

1.) BEFORE unhooking, be sure to chock and block wheels/tires on Montana.

2.) To be done before # 1, but NOT quite as important: GET LEVEL

Add your own MUST HAVES to this list!

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 07:53 AM   #5
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Carol,

I'm really in full agreement. I do have a "checklist" in mind when I set up, but I do not use a paper form. The items you mention are certainly essential. I would have to add "be sure the umbilical cord is clear before moving tow vehicle". I expect you will remember why I add that one!

And, Wannabe, we are also NOT full-timers. I use this checklist before leaving EVERY campsite. As for the water heater, I leave my electric switch ON while traveling. That means when I connect to power at each campsite, the electric power is on to the water heater. Of course, when I disconnect from site power, the water heater is OFF. The only thing I have to remember is to turn it off when we return home.

One reason I print out and keep the checklist/log is that it does serve as a historical log.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 02:27 PM   #6
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
Beautiful job on the checklist! I have printed one sheet, and will use it from now on. You have really been an asset on my search for information..now and in the recent past..thanks!
Montana Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 06:46 PM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I will add here that long ago I made a check list almost identical to David's in Excel. Then I simplified it so it can down load to my IPAQ (PALM). Since the IPAQ is always in my purse (can't get these work habits to go away), it is easy to turn it on and check off the list. Each person has to add/subtract according to their unit and live style. But it does help to read down the list each time just to make sure. Another thing Ed and I do is check each other. We both know how to do all the things needed. I usually do the inside and he the outside and then we check the other person to make sure all things have been done. So far in about 15 years we have had very few mistakes. Knock on wood!
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote