Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2004, 12:16 PM   #1
drpuckett
Established Member

M.O.C. #1904
Baja California

Seriously considering joining a caraventure thru Good Sams to Baja California. Any body been there? If so, I would like to have some feedback on it from someone who may have been there in their Montana fifth wheel or any RV for that matter.

drpuckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 08:02 PM   #2
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
I am not ready for that trip, but I am sure you will some members that might like to make that trek. Keep us posted. Happyrving.....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 05:22 AM   #3
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
We go to Baja all of the time. Driving is a real hassle as the roads are narrower than ours and regular size semi's drive down the middle. Close to the border towns and 75 miles or so south is not as bad as further down---it gets hairy. I was comming back from a Baja fishing trip this summer and a semi hit my collapsable mirror---that was close...!Sometimes an organization like Vagabundos Del Mar runs canavans---these folks specialize in Baja trips and are really good. Do your homework and see where the Good Sam caravan is heading and if the leader is really "Bi Lingual" as in fluent...!
tweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 02:41 PM   #4
drpuckett
Established Member

M.O.C. #1904
Thanks to you MOC members for your input. Is there anything really great about going to Baja that may be worth the time and effort (and expense!!) that I don't know about? We really just want to treat ourselves with a nice trip as a retirement gift.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:51 PM   #5
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
We have never been down the Baja but wintered in Mazatlan for seven years. Highway 15 (Mex.) is a divided four lane highway most of the way. In some of the larger towns it isn't divided. It is a toll road and would cost about $100. now I am told. We haven't been down for five years as Glub has health problems Medicare wont pay for in Mexico. There are several RV parks on the highway. The best is in Guymus an easy days drive from Tuscon. It is at a Hotel in town the name escapes me now. you leave the toll road before you get to town and as you get into town you will see a sign on the hill. There are many side trips off the highway to see. Driving is easer on the toll roads as the natives can't afford it. But you have to watch for carts pulled by horses and donkeys. (they go around the toll booths) And NEVER DRIVE after dark. Carts, cattle and goats don't have tail lights. Mexico is a great place to visit and we miss going to Mazatlan. We now visit places where we can get back to the DR. in a day. Enjoy. Now I remember the RV Park it at the Hotel Cortez. Another good park is Los Glories. It is 42 Kilometers west of Guasave. It on the beach and they have an excellent restaurant and when we were there they had a day trip to "Bird island" very much worth the price. Treecounter
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 02:21 AM   #6
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
Baja is great---the wide-open expanses with the views are amazing, especially in the desert regions (except in mid-summer when it is HOT---but also is the best time for fishing; our passion)which is most of Baja. The waters in the Sea of Cortez are full of life; from whales to reef fishes if you snorkle---its great. In the spring, the cacti are in full bloom and this makes for some fantastic pictures. The people are really friendly and yes, the 21st. century is there---many cafe's and stores have internet/e-mail access. I think if this is your first trip, I'd stick to some really nice areas within a 100 miles of the border; like Puerto Penasco or San Felipe for several reasons: (a) the roads to these places are firly good and well maintained; (b)the Nationals try to accomodate Gringos because their economy relies on our dollars; (c)most of these areas have "gringo colonies" that can help you navigate the local customs. What is neat about taking your RV is find a good park (and there are quite a few)and take some side trips during the day. There is so much to see and do that is not printed in the brochures---just ask the locals. Some of these small towns have museums that rival many in the US...! Here is an example: in a town called Santa Rosalia which is located about 1/2 way down the Baja peninsula, is a steel church designed by Eiffel---the same guy who built the Eiffel Tower in Paris---ask the Padre of the church, and if you have an hour or so, he'll give you the whole story how the church made it to Santa Rosalia. What an interesting story. Go, you'll enjoy the adventure and your retirement gift...!
tweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 03:40 PM   #7
drpuckett
Established Member

M.O.C. #1904
I really appreciate all the replies to Baja. Since it is my first trip there, will it be better to go with the Good Sam's caraventure? Also, what can you tell me about the required insurance for our vehicles. Is it difficult for a "rookie" like myself to undertake this venture alone? Sorry for all the questions, but it is somewhat overwhelming for me.

drpuckett
'01 2500HD Duramax
04 Montana 3255 RL
Old 02-18-2019, 01:30 PM   #8
Jeanette

M.O.C. #20632
My husband and myself have wanted to take a trip to Mexico but too feel alone it is undaunting. We are members on Montana rovers but have yet to find anyone in So. Cal. We have a keystone Montana 32.55 and pull with a 2001 International Semi
Jeanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:23 PM   #9
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
Welcome to the forum !!!

You do realize that you have replied to a post that is over 14 years old. It will serve you better to make a new threads it will get better response. I USED to be a Montana Rovers member also, but they closed that website down a few weeks ago.

Also go to "New Member Introductions" and start a thread introducing yourself. You will find, you get a very WARM welcome to the MOC family!
CarWin is offline   Reply With Quote