Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2012, 02:57 AM   #1
Tim denkers
Established Member

M.O.C. #12401
Fire Detector

Hey Guys and Gals,
it's been a little while since I've been on the forum. We are out again for the forth time in the Montana and the fire alarm is chirping??? I tested it thinking it was a smart unit and would stop chirping but alas it still chirps. First the is no fire just about every 5 mins it chirps. I thought it was the backup battery needing changing but it has no backup battery.
Has anyone else had this problem and how do I get it to stop.
I'm going to clean it with the central vac after the wifey gets up.
Any suggestion would be greatful.

Tim denkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:03 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
If it is the one near the floor in the kitchen it is a RV Propane Gas detector.
There for I would check for leaks or you may have a faulty one.
I believe I read here that they do expire and need replacing.
Good luck.
Let us know what you find.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:17 AM   #3
Tim denkers
Established Member

M.O.C. #12401
It the one just above the steps at the front door. I cleaned it with the vacum and it hasn't chirped in a while. What exactly do you need from me to make my signature like yours? Should I call you Sarg?
Old 09-02-2012, 03:31 AM   #4
Tim denkers
Established Member

M.O.C. #12401
Well, the thing chirped after 20 mins after vacuming. Now I', really stumped? Any ideas would be helpful.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:43 AM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Tim-- If it is the one above the steps it is a smoke detector and there should be a 9 volt battery in it. Did you take the cover off of it or the whole thing may disconnect from the ceiling with a connection wire to disconnect(if it is a direct power one). There has to be a battery backup to the unit and that is probably what is causing it to chirp. Haven't seen any smoke detectors that don't have the backup battery, even the direct wire ones have them incase the power goes out! If it keeps chirping and you don't find a battery I'd go out to a hardware store and get a new detector. That's one thing you don't want to be without. Let us know what you come up with.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:59 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Check on the home page of the forum. Information there on how to post pictures etc. If it's the smoke detector at the top of the stairs try the vacuum and if that doesn't fix it replace it with a better one. If it's the propane detector near the floor in the kitchen be very careful, many have found there really is a leak. Other things that will set it off are sprays and even the cat pan and as John has said they do wear out and need to be replaced. Also, if it is the propane detector don't assume if your rig is new that it's faulty. Our rig came new with a leak (over threaded the black pipe between the tanks) and several others have had one on a newer rig for various reasons.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:32 AM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The one at the top of the stairs in a 3700 is a smoke detector with a 9V battery. It will chirp when the battery starts getting low. It also tends to go off when cooking almost anything. I am getting amazing extended life from my battery as it is rarely installed.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:55 AM   #8
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
I replaced the original at the top of the stairs with one having the feature to silence it for 15 minutes at a time for false rms that occur often when cooking.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:33 PM   #9
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Smoke detectors are only good for approx. 10 years max. They need to be replaced after that. If it is chirping that means that the battery in it needs to be replaced. You mentioned there was no battery in your detector, it should be a battery powered detector. Write the date you installed it on the back of the detector so you remember when you installed it. Remember that just because you bought it new doesn't mean that it is new also, it could have been sitting on a shelf in the store for several years already.

Also, don't trust the push button to test it. I have been a firefighter for over 30 years and have seen many detectors that sound when you press the test button but will not detect any smoke because they are weak or need replacing. You should always test it with real smoke. Light a candle and blow it out and hold it up to the detector. It should sound within a few seconds, if not replace it!

I replace my detectors every 5 to 6 years to make sure they are working good all of the time. It is very cheap insurance. Sorry about getting long winded here.

Scott
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #10
rgn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5555
Mine went bad after 3 years. Go buy a new battery one and I bet it stop the noise
rgn is offline   Reply With Quote