Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2012, 03:40 AM   #1
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
Scare Light Replacements

I don't think the "scare" lights would scare much of anything as they are not very illuminating. Mine have a further problem in that they are rusting around the base causing brown streaks and need resurfaced and painted with a good appliance epoxy.

Has anyone found a replacement that is brighter. Also, I don't mind keeping the refurbished lights if I can find a bulb type that will make them much brighter. Incandescent or LED makes no difference to me as 12v power is not a problem.

Next thing is to separate the curb side from the road side and led hitch light. When I want to use the lights I don't want to annoy my campsite neighbor. I just want to turn on the one by my patio. I'll figure out the wiring on this issue.

I have already replaced the entrance door light with a LED motion detector light that is very bright and works well. It was one of my top mods.

Ideas?

nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:20 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Seems like I recall a recent post that contained information on stainless steel scare lights? Not sure about the bulb type though.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:20 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Someone posted a few months ago with some pictures of their replacements. Some really good looking fixtures.
Surprised about the brightness though. We were in a park last week that was VERY dark at night. Only lights were at the restroom about 100 yards away. But the scare lights lit up the area like daylight when I took the dog out. Surprised me at how bright it was. Especially the street side. Curb side was bright but not as much as the street side. Don't know if they have different bulbs or what.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:24 AM   #4
bwney
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4633
Great idea on the motion light for the entrance door. I already started looking. 50 dollars plus.
bwney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:41 AM   #5
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
A follow up thus far.
Bwney, Here is the motion detector light I bought. It is an exact replacement for the old porch light right down to the 4 screw holes used to mount it. http://tweetys.com/motion-sensing-porch-lights.aspx

I've done a search on scare lights on this forum and found the stainless ones mentioned, but in my experience around salt water and salt air, stainless does rust unless it has a very high nickel content and for $10 a light, they are not going to be a very high quality fixture. I'd rather have powder coated ones. Anyhow the lumen output of the light bulbs is what I have been searching. It looks like the #1295 bulb is already the brightest in the incandescent single bayonet line. I think that is what is in our lights, but they could have used a #1156 so I'll check tomorrow. If they did use the #1156 a switch to a #1295 would be a good answer.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:50 AM   #6
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
The LED bulbs from Michael that we put in our scare lights are very bright
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:55 AM   #7
Shooterdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8905
The company that makes the porch light with a motion sensor also make a Scare light with the same feature.www.starlightsinc.com , they are a good company to deal with. Good luck...Scott
Shooterdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:23 AM   #8
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
I replaced ours with the LED bulbs from Michael & Kat, they are brighter, but not overpowering. I also bought 2 aluminum pie pans and cut them down to fit behind the bulb, just to help reflect the light out.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:38 AM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I consider our scare lights are pretty bright even though I must agree they don't seem that bright. They seem especially bright when the nights are real dark. Most campgrounds have a Quiet time policy and it includes turning out campground lighting like scare lights. The only light we leave on is the amber one at the entry door. If we need to depart past the quiet hour, we use flashlights beyond our campsite at night or rely on the existing campground lighting, if any.

There has been posts about replacement metal frames for these lights (actually, I think it was a whole new assembly). Refinishing the existing lights can take a bit of work - removal resanding, refinishing, adding a protectant. I might consider this route if so inclined.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:43 AM   #10
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
I replaced mine with a brand new pair for $26.00 on-line
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #11
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We purchased stainless steel scare lights from here: http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Ligh...cs/RVSL21.html

and then put LED's in them.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #12
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Dave,
If you're getting a lot of rust on your "scare" lights I wonder if they got mounted upside down. I've seen some that had the "weep" hole on top! Naturally the water enters and can't get out easily. Our lights seem more than bright enough. Of course it is a new unit.

Michael and Kat,
Those replacement stainless steel fixtures sure look nice and they are certainly priced to sell! Thanks for all the info on this stuff. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote