Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Quest remotes and wires...lots of wires.

Well I am getting our Montana into shape. The wiring was a mess and it had the 500 lb dinosaur TVs. Thanks to this site I found the TV wiring diagram and got the coax back to where it should be. I then got my flat screens mounted in the bedroom and the living room. But the living room TV and the FM radio still did not work right. I did see where it was said the connectors were terrible and yep found 2 that just were just barely hanging on so I replaced them, but still had a problem. So I replaced the splitter and Waa Laa I got good TV and an FM signal. But now the problem is the trailer has a Quest surround sound reciever in it. The remote only works when it wants to and half the buttons do not work. I tried to get a generic remote to work but could not. My question of the day is who is Quest and are they still in business and if not is there a generic remote that will work with it. It is nice being able to sit and run the DVD but also it is needed to adjust the speakers. I have been searching on the net but have not had much luck. Thanks

steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
I threw ours away after it was replaced one under warranty. I still use the speakers but replaced the player with a Sony. Yes the wires are/were a mess, I cleaned them up.
Enjoy the 3000Rk, we do.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Yeah I was looking around to replace it too but am having trouble finding a small DVD surround sound Reciever that has an A B speaker button for the bedroom speakers. Or is there something else out there that you can add on to run the speakers in the bedroom? Plus it appears I am gonna have to buy a whole system since it's hard to find just a reciever anyways.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:08 PM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
That OEM surround sound system was my first project for our monty, I pulled out the main unit, speakers and sub woofer and trashed them. I went out to Fry's electronics and got a Sony surround system that plays CD's DVD's it also has AM & FM, the works! it came with 2 front 2 back 1 middle and a sub woofer, I used all the original wires for the speakers it works great, the volume is about a 7 for loudness, a Pioneer surround system has much better volume than the sony for cheap sound systems they work good. I would love to put a Yamahaw but that too good a system for a trailer and too easy to get stolen when in storage.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Quest no longer exists. Mine still works but when it finally goes, it will be replaced with something else.

You are certainly not the first one to get rid of all that archaic stuff. Have fun with it.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:32 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
It's not much better on a brand new one. Last summer I made the Customer Service Center straighten the wires on ours after I found they used a bread tie instead of multiple wire ties. Customer service center used a split wire protector and did the job right, too bad they don't let those guys build them in the first place.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:13 AM   #7
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Don't know why Keystone did not use the wire centers or switchs other manufactors use to keep the coax straight. Kind of confusing the way they run it back and forth when with the switchs you just have to push a button to switch from sat to cable or on air. Oh well it works now so just got to find me a reasonably priced surround sound with an A B switch. Just hate to spend 3-5 hundred dollars for a stereo in a trailer.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:51 AM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Mine quit a couple yrs ago. I could not find one with the A/B speaker feature. And mine has a pretty small space to fit the unit into. I went to Best Buy. They had a number of different brands and models. All came as complete systems with speakers. I bought a Panasonic Bluray DVD home theater system as it was the closest in size to the original and we had a number of Bluray DVDs. Replaced old speakers with new ones using existing wiring. Did not want to tackle replacing the speaker wires. But it has much better sound than the original. And we can play Bluray as well as standard movies now.
Haven't missed the A/B feature as we rarely used it except when the iPod was connected to it.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote