Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
Larry-P
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11570
WALKIE-TALKIES

The wife & I want to purchase a set of walkie-talkies to be used when giving directions when parking the 5th wheel. We are not interested in putting on a show for the other folks in the area.

Any suggestions on a good brand that's not too overly priced but has good quality ??

Thanks for your help.

Larry-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:28 AM   #2
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Larry-P

The wife & I want to purchase a set of walkie-talkies to be used when giving directions when parking the 5th wheel. We are not interested in putting on a show for the other folks in the area.

Any suggestions on a good brand that's not too overly priced but has good quality ??

Thanks for your help.
We have Motorola. Don't pay extra for rechargeables, as they will always need charging just when you need them. Ours are rechargeable but we prefer to replace the batteries, as you can do both. Quicker and more efficient. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:55 AM   #3
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
We have Cobras. They also come in handy when traveling with another couple.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:57 AM   #4
Larry-P
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11570
Larry,

Do you remember what model you have ?
All of the units seem to have re-chargeable batteries. I think I would prefer units with lithiun ion batteries but even they are rechargeable.
Do you mean to just not use the battery charger & buy normal batteries ??
Larry-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
Do you both have cell phones? You can call each other, put yours on speakerphone and set it on the dash in the cab of the truck and you are good to go. I actually have Bluetooth in my truck, so DW calls me, I answer and she can talk to me as I back up, through the speakers in my truck. Had walkie talkies at one time, this makes much more sense to me.
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:15 PM   #6
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
We picked up a rather inexpensive set at Radio Shack. They have served us well now for about 10 years and still going strong. A lot better then shouting at each other.
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:30 PM   #7
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
I gave my brother a pair of Motorolas (rechargeable) for Christmas. He says they saved his marriage!
patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:32 PM   #8
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I like the cell phone idea it would go through the blue tooth in the truck and the wife could just be talking on her phone from behind the trailer.
I will try that next time akf15e.
Providing you have a signal I guess would also be inportant.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:35 PM   #9
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Quote:

Larry,

Do you remember what model you have ?
All of the units seem to have re-chargeable batteries. I think I would prefer units with lithiun ion batteries but even they are rechargeable.
Do you mean to just not use the battery charger & buy normal batteries ??

Talkabout T5720 We use AA batteries, whatever brand is on sale.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:59 PM   #10
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
We've got Motorola Talkabout MR350R and they work great. We use them for checking lights, backing, and our new favorite thing; talking to people we are traveling with. They have great range and sound great. Came with a recharge station and was $59 at Costco a couple of years ago.
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:09 PM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
When we first started full timing in 2000, we used FRS radios because everyone said that was the way to go. Then, because we have Verizon and can talk to one another free, we used them. Now we just use a set of hand signals. Wife knows that she has to stand where she can see me in the mirror. She's very good at watching for obstacles and anything that may make the parking difficult. Proud of her.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:19 PM   #12
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
We use our cell phones...why get something else when the cell phones work fine?
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:07 PM   #13
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

We’ve had a couple of different sets; one set was large and one set was some of those teeny tiny ones. They sort of got laid aside somewhere. We don’t even use cell phones which we have.

We’ve found that what works best for us is the wife knows where to be so I can always see her. If she is out of sight then I stop and wait for her to appear in one of my mirrors. She watches and I watch her and the mirrors. I will still get out sometimes just viewing our position and seeing exactly where we are. With her directions I don’t have any problems.

The problem starts when other people show up thinking they know how to give us directions! Leave it to just my wife and I and we will “Get-UR-Done”!

On Edit: We tried to park once in Pigeon Forge and about 4-5 people gathered around to try and help us. All after dark If I remember correctly. One man was trying to be in charge & well let’s just say they were in the way!

Old 08-27-2011, 04:37 PM   #14
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We have used Motorola. Now, with back up camera and microphone, don't need them.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:52 PM   #15
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
We have Motorola's, but switched to cell phones using Bluetooth in truck - the damn radios always needed new batteries or recharging, and no matter what channels we put them on, someone else was talking over us. So, cell phones and 48 years of marriage still intact!
Old 08-27-2011, 05:14 PM   #16
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
the problem with using the speaker options on the cell phones is that there is a small delay. We are thinking of using hand signals now. I usually stand where Dave can see me while he backs up so that should work out.
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:18 PM   #17
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
We use rechargeable Motorola radios. I think we paid $40 at Target for the pair. They have a 6 mile range (but the Monty isn't quite that long). We also take them hiking and each one of us carries one in case we get separated or lost or one of us needs to go for help.
We've never had a problem with them. Definitely has saved us from some heated parking "discussions"
We can't depend on our cell phones to always have coverage. Hand signals are a great plan if the batteries ever go dead. Trouble is that what DW means and what I understand her to mean aren't always the same.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:22 PM   #18
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Quote:

Thanks for your help.
Larry,
I hate to tell you this but using the walkie-talkies will NOT stop you from putting on a show!

We started with the walkie-talkies then the phones. We now use just hand signals and mental telepathy. The mental telepathy comes from being married for 47 years! We find that the hand signals are more than adequate.

We do use the walkie-talkies when we are traveling with friends. Sure makes it nice for stops and directions and just plain old talking. I think we have a pair of RS specials. Nothing fancy but they get the job done.

Good luck. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:53 PM   #19
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We live down a narrow gravel road. I have to pull the wrong way down a Y in the road and then jack knife the trailer around the Y, straight down the road for a block and then shoe horn it between two trees and then hard back to the right into it's parking spot. When we bought the Montana we had to buy a bigger truck. The Dodge came with all the bells and whistles and of course the bluetooth was one I thought was a complete waste of money. When we checked out the new trailer we found a broken weld on one of the landing gears and so by the time we got home for the first time it was completely dark. I stopped on the way home in a vacant parking lot to get the feel of how the truck and tailer worked together but I got it parked on the first try only because of the bluetooth and the great directions my wife gave me. Since then we use the bluetooth every time we need to park the thing.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:03 AM   #20
bear
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9827
We use cell`s and blue tooth in truck, clean and simple
bear is offline   Reply With Quote