Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
John and Carol
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6294
Summer Storage of Montana

We plan to drive to Alaska next summer, but want to put the Montana in storage and pull something much smaller than 36 ft. What are the pros and cons of storing the rig in southern Arizona or southern Texas? We have winterized and stored over the cold months before, but never in extreme heat.

John and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
You should'nt have to worry about moisture, but drain and blow out the water system real well,you know how bad water can smell. empty frig,remove all food etc: I am sure you know the routine. I would do a winter routine minus the antifreeze in the water system.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:03 PM   #3
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
We have a place in AZ for the second time. From experience a lot of people will place some buckets of water around inside the house and RVs to have a little moisture available.
It is believed to help with furniture, cabinets and carpet.
I don't know how effective it is. I know most of the water will be gone when you get back. That is what my friends have told me.
Our first house there we did not leave any water in pails. We never had a problem. This summer I did leave a few pails around the new place. I'm sure the water will be gone when we get back. But was it necessary? I don't know.
Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I am in Casa Grande and have our unit on a spare lot. Not hooked up to power. have three five gallon pails of waer in the unit and was in it the other day and the darn closet door, to the left of the bed in a 3400, has warped. Fine sand will come in any opening, and I believe the decals are starting to shrink and peal. I would not store my unit in AZ if I could help it. Too darned hot.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:21 AM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We live in north Texas and are not full timers, so by default ours is stored here year round when not in use. It is in covered storage to keep the sun off. High temps are not a problem as long as it is under cover. We average 16 100+ degree days per year, but this year we are at 49 days, many 105+, and still counting. But the inside of the trailer stays maybe in the 80's as it does not seem overly hot when I go to check on it. And my decals still look great.
There are a lot of units in the same facility that are not under cover and have been there several years. Apparently no problem. But I would think they would get quite hot inside.
Humidity is not a problem here as it is typically neither extremely high or extremely low for very long.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:06 PM   #6
Red939
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7928
Covered parking is the way to go, not just a roof but sides (tires) too.
Red939 is offline   Reply With Quote