Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2011, 08:49 AM   #1
kcaravelli
Established Member

M.O.C. #11481
What is BEST way to purchase a Montana

Hello, we are looking to purchase a Montana 3465sa in the very near future. We don't want to "eat" the depreciation so we feel a coach about 2-3 years old is best but we are open to opinion. We are paying cash or near cash at the time of sale. We live near Seattle Washington as full-timers in an Itasca 33' motorhome. We love our motorhome but are ready to enjoy the greater living space of a 5th wheel and less expensive cost. We are full-time working professionals so we need a good sized coach like the 3465sa. We just love the floorplan.
So a few questions are coming up as we prepare for our purchase that I would like your thoughts on:

1) I am having difficulty in the valuation when comparing coaches since some have the "Moving to Montana" and the "Hickory Edition" package. If some of you wouldn't mind giving me a ball park figure as to what you feel the extra packages cost you when new it would be a big help.
2) There is a coach we are interested in out in Buffalo New York but getting it back here is a challenge. I have done some research and found that Rail Freight is out due to the cost and the damage often done with rigs that are shaken to pieces this way literally. Putting it on the back of an extra low flatbe truck is another but I'm just not sure yet. I have asked Keystone for their opinion on this.
3) Best time to buy. This is a much discusseed question in forums. I have ready many. In the case of a Montana specifically though it will be a very popular coach for snobirds. I am thinking end of summer for most people in term of buying advantage since many rigs come in from summer vacation for their last trip and get sold. The end of summer also ushers in "new model year" advantage but that may really be an advantage limited to New coach purchases.
4) Who to buy from. I am not really interested in rewarding some lame salesman for selling me something I have done so much research on, nor do I want to pay the overhead for a dealership if I can find it by private party on craig's list or something similar. Any creative ideas are welcome here.
5) We have worked with a very good local RV repair shop who I will have check out the coach if it is bought locally.
6) This one is going to sound lame. One person who claims they were a former Montana Dealer says their is a "West Coast" and "East
Coast" editions according to Montana. I have written to Montana to confirm get confirmation of this but if any of you know this to be true please speak up.
7. Dual Pane windows. Out here near Seattle the dealers tend to order their rigs WITHOUT dual pane windows. We have them in our Itasc and they really seem to help with condensation. Do any of you who are full-timers have thoughts on this? I may be placing too high a priority on getting dual-pane windows.

Okay, wow what a long post but WE REALLY WOULD LIKE TO OWN A 3465SA Montana.

"The Caravellis"
Keith & Elaine and Ben(Our Rottie)
Seattle, WA
Keith@caravelli.com
Tags: Montana 3465sa, Full-Timers, Purchasing a 5th Wheel, Montana Package, Hickory Package, Dual Pane windows,Best time to buy, Shipping an RV.

kcaravelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:14 AM   #2
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Your experience will be as good as the character of the person ,dealer , salesman , private citizen or whomever you purccase from. Do your research, find a seller you trust, probably the hardest part for you. Do not buy anything that you do not get a PDI (pre delivery insp.) with. You should be showed everything working to your satisfaction or no deal. I further reccommend that you do not buy very far away, you may need access to your seller. There are almost always units for sale on this forum, people here have access to each other and would not enjoy the bad wrap of taking advantage . Be sure to buy an extended warranty you may need it. Find what you want, make your best deal, drive on. IMHO Larry(part time lame RV salesman) Let me say that I am retired. I do not need the money that I make selling RVs, although I do feel like I earn it. I earn it because I give customers all the benefits of my 40 years of experience.I love RVs and the nice people generally who own them. So what I do is enjoyable. As you noticed I would never use this forum as a lever to move a member toward or against any particular dealer. Yet I still believe a good dealer is a good friend to have. Even if you buy a used rv from an individual you could probably find a dealer to do a PDI for you at a nominal fee, if the individual is unable. If the individual is unwilling, STOP LIGHT.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
"What is the best way to buy a Montana"? I know,I know, use someone else's MONEY!!!. :-)
Just had to say it...
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:59 PM   #4
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Might be able to order/install dual pane windows for a used unit found in Seattle cheaper than paying to have one delivered from Buffalo to Seattle. With fuel at about $4.00 a gallon can't imagine transporting one would be cheap.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:33 AM   #5
trustymopars
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10812
As to your cost question, our 2011 3465SA has the Hickory Edition package and our dealer had it listed for $48k. It is pretty well loaded with options, minus the thermopane windows. Good negotiating can get you a price you can live with. We also wanted to find something used, but for a nice clean unit, the price wasn't much different between new and used. We love ours, and after owning it nearly a year, have only had acouple of very minor issues. Since it is now a discontinued floor plan, I would try to find a new unit and play hardball on the price. We have found that late fall to early winter is the best time to buy in our area.
trustymopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:42 AM   #6
jdvier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10130
Keith, you are doing the right thing by doing the research. I would check with the dealers in the snowbird states. If you are intrested check Bish's rv in Idaho. We purchased our 2011 3400RL last fall and saved a very large amount on the purchase. You can call John Adams at the Napa store for assistance. They do have a large inventory of used units. Give him a call or go on line to their site.
Good luck in the search.
Jack Vier, CMSgt, retired
jdvier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:23 AM   #7
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Keith....sent you a PM.

Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:19 PM   #8
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
What is the best way to purchase a Montana?? With some of the 100 milion dollars you won playing Powerball.....

Don't we all wish..
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:32 PM   #9
kcaravelli
Established Member

M.O.C. #11481
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jdvier

Keith, you are doing the right thing by doing the research. I would check with the dealers in the snowbird states. If you are intrested check Bish's rv in Idaho. We purchased our 2011 3400RL last fall and saved a very large amount on the purchase. You can call John Adams at the Napa store for assistance. They do have a large inventory of used units. Give him a call or go on line to their site.
Good luck in the search.
Jack Vier, CMSgt, retired
Jack, thanks for the tip. Going to Idaho (Boise) would be a good idea to drop over and see my dad..85 this year and doing great. They would have good cold weather rigs. I was there last year and found a couple i like.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #10
kcaravelli
Established Member

M.O.C. #11481
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Captain Joe

Keith....sent you a PM.

Got it thank you. I will reply back on PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:52 AM   #11
Sierra 117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9481
I used internet shopping. Found that Indiana and states that border it have the best prices, probably due to freight costs. Prices in Arizona were almost as high as those in Ontario.
Sierra 117 is offline   Reply With Quote