Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2011, 03:16 PM   #21
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
My '08 3075 has an Apollo microwave, 1/2 time oven, convection, etc. It and the range hood are 2 separate units. The range hood vents to the OUTSIDE. The Apollo vents to the INSIDE whether you microwave, convection cook or make popcorn. It is a strange setup but that's what we have.

lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:05 AM   #22
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Like Lasater, our 2007 model has the Apollo half time oven/convection/microwave unit. It is totally separate from the range hood. The MW vents inside. The range hood is intended to pull hot air and odors from the range top area and vent it to outside, assuming the flap is unhinged. But I'm not at all familiar with the newer setups.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:25 PM   #23
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
Our old 2007 had the Apollo half time oven with a seperate range hood. Our new 2011 has the Dometic combination micro, convection, and range hood all in one. On our first outing, it appeared that the convection part wasn't working right. It was cutting in and out. So, as a last resort (a guy thing) I got out the owners manual. It clearly stated that while using the oven for convection OR microwaving, to make sure that the outside vent flap was OPEN, so the oven could cool it's electronics/internal mechanisms correctly. WHOOPS.....so I ran outside and quickly opened up the flaps.....and was greeted with a blast of really hot air. It cooled down a bit shortly after opening. After that, the micro/convection part worked MUCH better!!!

SIGH, a guy having to revert to an owners manual.......it's like having to ask for directions!!!!!!
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:43 PM   #24
gcrocket
Established Member

M.O.C. #9831
Since this new frigidare micro is a residential instead of an RV unit perhaps it is like the one I installed at the house. That one had the option of inside or outside venting. You had to remove a baffle before install to allow the air to exit out the back or top. That should be pretty obvious when they pull the thing off the wall.
gcrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:44 AM   #25
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
In our 09 Monty the convection microwave oven was installed in an enclosure that had no external vent. The oven cooled itself by exhausting out the top front into the interior of the trailer. This was inadequate and the oven would shut down after three or four minutes due to overheating. I cut a hole in the bottom of the oven enclosure, behind the oven, and through the top of the range hood and installed a small fan to push air through the opening and out the vent to the outside. Big project but it beats listening to the GW fume when the unit shut down while she was baking! Boo on Keystone for not checking that their installation worked properly. I believe that the following models did vent to the outside via the range hood?
berridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:01 AM   #26
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Just looked at the vent outside on our '11 3400 and see the plastic clips holding the vent shut. So, every time we use the convection oven, I have to go outside and turn the clips? And, have to remember to close before departing the campground? I read the manual and didn't see anything on the outside vent.

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:26 AM   #27
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
A regular part of my set-up and breakdown routing is upon arrival at a camp site, open clips at vent. When leaving camp-site, turn clips back to hold the vent flap and keep it from flapping in the wind. The only design flaw on ours is that the vent is out of reach, I need a step stool to reach it.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:47 AM   #28
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Thanks, something else to add to checklists! I just printed out several new checklists for our upcoming trip. Now, have to revise them again. I also need a stepladder to reach.

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:20 PM   #29
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
In a trailer I owned a few years ago I used a bicycle brake cable which I ran through the vent from under the range hood out to the vent flap. I attached the inner cable to the vent flap with a bit of epoxy and the outer casing to the hood inside and thus was able to open and close the flap from the inside. It worked well but now I simply leave the vent unsecured even when we travel; have not noted any problems yet.
berridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:07 PM   #30
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Our combo micro/convection vents to the outside and we love it that way. You can cook with the convection and not heat up the inside of the Monty. I kept a wand for a manual awning and use it to open and close the little dog ear tabs on the vent flapper.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:07 PM   #31
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
I'd be willing to bet the service tech's eyes are very dark brown!
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:17 AM   #32
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
Sorry for taking so long in getting back about the Micro-Wave, Convection Oven and range hood venting problem. After they replaced the damaged unit it was venting into the trailer. Took the trailer back to the dealer and had a second air conditioner installed and they checked the Micro-Wave unit and found a damper had not been set right. Have used the trailer on two trips after the repairs and now the unit vents to the outside on any setting used, Micro-Wave, Convection Oven or Range Vent. The second air conditioner also does a great job. We are in a trailer park this week and the two units have no problem keeping the inside temp in the mid 70's with the outside temp around 101 - 102 deg. My big mistake was not having two air units on the trailer when we ordered it, the one unit just would not cut it.

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote