Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2011, 03:22 PM   #1
oscarj
Established Member

M.O.C. #8152
running 50 amp service from generator

I just got back from camping at Bonnaroo and rented a 6000 watt generator that I thought with the Campingworld splitter I would be able to run both ac's. This however was not the case as I was never able to get more than 30 amps as one leg would always trip. Would like to buy a generator to be able to run both ac's with 50 amps. How can one be modified to accept the standard 2 leg 50 amp plug that our rv's use? Thanks for help!

oscarj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Oscar,

What tripped, the generator or the breaker in the Montana? 6 kW should run both ACs without a problem.

Are both ACs on the same leg?

What make is the generator? Does it have a 240 V output? Does it have a 3 wire or 4 wire plug? Did you connect neutral to ground at the generator?

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:29 PM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
The A/C's when 'staged' can be run on less than 50 amps. just start them 2 or so minutes apart, starting amps and all, and as Firetrucker says, they should be on different legs of the service. But then... you need to calculate all of your loads on, and how many amps they pull. Kind of like juggling a running chan saw and a bowling ball, but you can do it.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:18 AM   #4
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
One way to tell what you are pulling is a couple of these meters. When we purchased them a year or so ago, they were $65 each from Datel

We are at a friend's house and we made a splitter box and are connected to two different 20amp breakers giving us not 40 amps, but 20 amps on each leg. With these meters, it is easy to tell what we can or cannot turn on (the picture was taken some time ago).

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:24 AM   #5
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
Send a message via AIM to Fire1
I went on Ebay and bought a brand new Onan 5500 Generator of less than a thousand dollars.
It had been in a Class A that was destroyed in a storm.
Mounted it in my pickup and made up a camp site pug in on the back of the bed. Was so new still had the break in oil in it. # hours
Works great, plenty of power runs both A/C microwave and all for less than a single Honda 3000.
Take a look on ebay we also bought a smaller genset for my father in laws rig and did the same thing

Doug
Fire1 is offline   Reply With Quote