Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2011, 08:19 PM   #1
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Wet bolt question

I ordered a wet bolt kit from Tweety's and it came with 14 bolts...8 with bronze bushings and 6 without. Question I have is which bolts get the bronze bushings and which ones don't need them? No instructions, or at least if they came with the bolts, I've misplaced them.
Thanks for any advice (any pics would be helpful too )
EDIT: Here's a link to the kit I ordered:
http://tweetys.com/equa-flex-wetbolt-kit.aspx

Old 04-15-2011, 12:56 AM   #2
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
Mine came w/12 bolts 4 of the bolts came with the bushings already pressed on the bolts. There are photos out there search wet bolts catagory on moc and you should find them. Good luck Jack
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:54 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Mike and Ann (kingdaddy),
You list your Rig which is great and I see it is the High Country. I am not sure which suspension system you have on the HC. I do not believe it comes with the Mor/ryde RE center suspension which is on my Montana. If your center equalizer looks like or similar to this then you have the correct wet bolt kit.

The three bolts with out the sleeves are use on this part and those with the sleeves are used on the springs. You may need a 9/16 ream to open the bushings once they are pressed into the springs. Make sure you check each bolt does take grease before installing and ensure there is no burr where the grease comes out of the center of the bolt. Many have taken a "V" ream and hand reamed the hole to remove any burr that could scrap bronze and plug the hole.
Since you are doing the wet bolts I suggest you check the shackles that connect the springs to the equalizer and make sure they are the "THICK" ones about 1/4" vice about 1/8". (I am note sure of the exact thickness.)
Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:12 PM   #4
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
My trailer has the Equa-flex by Trail Air. As you can see on the link from Tweety's, this kit is for the Equa Flex so I'm assuming it is correct for my trailer.
So the bushings are for the spring eyes and the Equa flex equalizer already has bushings in it then?
I am having this work done by an RV place nearby so I assume they will know, but just wondering for my own curiosity.
I just don't have a place to do this work myself (trailer is in storage lot).
Old 04-16-2011, 06:54 AM   #5
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Since you are having it done, make darn sure they will take grease before you leave the lot. Once out and about and you find out they won't take grease it's on you.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:10 AM   #6
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Thanks, good tip...I will make sure of that before I leave. They do seem like high quality pieces so hoping they don't need any "mods" to work correctly.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:09 AM   #7
ramrod861

M.O.C. #11356
i have 2008 montana 38foot, keep ripping out the shear springs ( rubber blocks in center )
replaced the first set after 2500 miles and went 5000 mile and there copletely riped out again
getting very costly
WHAT IS THE CURE ...... i am thinking out havin the moreryde suspention taken out and replace with conventional suspention..........never again will i by a montana 5th wheel.....
ramrod861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:00 AM   #8
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ramrod861

i have 2008 Montana 38foot, keep ripping out the shear springs ( rubber blocks in center )
replaced the first set after 2500 miles and went 5000 mile and there completely riped out again
getting very costly
WHAT IS THE CURE ...... i am thinking out having the moreryde suspension taken out and replace with conventional suspension..........never again will i by a Montana 5th wheel.....
Did you get pictures of this riped out block? Your post is the first I personally have ever heard of. Not that I don't believe you. I just want to know what to look for.
I would think your problem with the suspension is just a mor ryde problem that could happen to any brand camper. Has the axle alignment been checked? Is the camper overloaded? Those things could cause problems though I am not a professional.
mopar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:01 AM   #9
Krusher
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11244
Quote:

i have 2008 montana 38foot, keep ripping out the shear springs ( rubber blocks in center )
replaced the first set after 2500 miles and went 5000 mile and there copletely riped out again
getting very costly
WHAT IS THE CURE ...... i am thinking out havin the moreryde suspention taken out and replace with conventional suspention..........never again will i by a montana 5th wheel.....
I wouldn't blame Keystone, as I had two Spring Blocks rip in my previous 5th (2008 Carri-Lite). I would check and make sure the spring blocks were replaced with the correct load weighted blocks. The higher the number on the block, the more weight they are designed for. On my Carri-Lite, I used a number 24 which is rated up to 18,000 I believe. Secondly, make sure your spring hangers are straight to the frame, as you may have experienced some hanger deflection that is putting the spring blocks in a bind.
Krusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:00 AM   #10
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Quote:

getting very costly
Well first of all...this is what is known as a thread "hi-jack".
Your thread regarding this issue is a better way to get the answer you are looking for, although you seem to be confused about who we are on this forum.
I've never personally heard of this happening before; you definitely have some kind of problem that would cause the shear springs to fail. MorRyde stuff seems to be pretty reliable and this doesn't seem to be a Keystone issue.
Did you buy the trailer new? If not, perhaps a previous owner installed the wrong shear spring (i.e. not rated for the weight of your trailer)?
What did MorRyde have to say? (assuming you did contact them first).
Good luck with it.
Now, back to the topic... The wet bolts went on fine and yes, they were able to put grease in them no problem!